The Purple Vipers

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another club member (vwiper) has had a standing offer to allow his car to be the mascot of friends' sports teams. Well, there is an 8 & 9 year old soccer team team in Monroe that was given purple jerseys and they have christened themselves The Purple Vipers. :headbang:

There wil be a photo shoot this Saturday (5/2/09) at 10 a.m. for the team. If anyone is interested in joining us, send me a PM and/or post here.

I'll be leading the caravan (of 2 so far) from Sammamish - Joe is picking up one of my boys.:drive:

It would be awesome to get a bunch of Vipers together for this, especially when they are expecting only one!:puppy: Even cooler if there was a Very Viper Violet lurking out there somewhere?:dunno:

And yes, I know it may rain :raincloud:on Saturday, but I also know that several Garage Princesses made it to the planning meeting in the SNOW!.:omg:

5/2/09 @ 10 a.m.
Skykomish River Park
818 Village Way
Monroe, WA 98272
skykomish river park - Google Maps

OP
OP
PacificSEASnake

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this post is a bit long, but this turned out to be a very fun trip (with a little unanticipated excitement thrown in). I'll post some pics as soon as I get them. It was almost perfect for pictures, since dark cars photograph better in overcast light.

To start off, I programmed the venue into my Magellan, but due to some construction that I knew was in our way, it rerouted us going out through the back roads. Nice, windy roads and elevation changes with some decent straights. The only law enforcement encountered were two patrol cars in downtown Duvall, but the road was all torn up there, so we were nowhere near the 25 mph posted limit.:drive:

I think Google maps must have a glitch, because we arrived after about 35 minutes, in what should have taken 52.:dunno:

Two or three kids were already there so the coach/photog got a few shots. We repositioned the cars for the group shots when the dog-walkers arrived and were about to take the parking space for the team shots.

Finally, most (8 of 9) of the team members arrived for group shots. I put the top down on my car to get the full effect of the SRT 'vert vs '01 GTS ACR. At first, all of the kids were up on a retaining wall behind the cars, so I had the briliant idea of getting them into the cars. The coach asked them, "Who wants to take thier shoes off?". Two hands immediately went up, then after they found out they were going to sit on top of a Viper, several other shoes came off. :lmao:

I helped a couple up to sit between the sport hoops, and couple others on the center console. for those that still didn't want to go shoeless, I grabbed a few towels for the seats and placed them (yes, soccer cleats and all) standing on the seats. I really hope those pics come out well. Since I had a few extra towels in my hand I went around to the trunk, tossed them in and shut the lid. As those shots were being taken, I had a very eneasy feeling, like I had done something extremely stupid.

Turns out, I did. The towels were in the same hand that my keys happened to be in. Got out the AAA card and called for help. After explaining that I would need a locksmith, since there is no trunk release, I was given an ETA of 11:50 a.m. (One hour out) At 11:35, I get a call back to let me know that that the locksmith can't get in and I would have to go to a dealer. But, since most dealer service departments are not open on weekends, would I like the car towed home or to a dealer closer to my house? I say sure, get it back home - meanwhile, the 1 hour window won't start until they contact the tow company.

SO, I get off of the phone, and while I'm relating this to Joe, one of the soccer moms says "Why don't you take it to Rairdon's Dodge? It's right down the road and they're open on Saturdays."

O.K. Joe asks, "Does your navigation unit have a way to find..." Yes, but it's in the trunk with the keys. But, thanks to my recent layoff, I have a new phone with the internet!. I get in touch with the service depatment, who doesn't know how to get in. So I suggest making a key from the VIN. Get transferred to the Parts dept. since that's where the keys are made. Parts guy says he can do it and he as a blank in stock, I only need proof of ownership and the VIN. Great. The registration is locked in the glovebox (which is also locked). Well, do I have an insurance card? YES!

But how will I get there? No problem. As soon as I hung up the call and before I said anyting, Joe says, "Here's the deal; You'll take my car and I'll hang out with one of the boys."

So I got to dive in my first ACR!!! Unfortunately, I was in an unfamiliar place and too wigged out about getting into my car, and afraid of damaging someone else's car, so I idled down the road to Rairdon's at 25 mph. It didn't help that the seat was lowered, and the pedal s are offset, and the light/steering/wiper controls are all different than an SRT. Got the key made, headed back, got lost, turned around, and made it back to the park.

Of course, it couldn't be over then. When I popped the trunk with the new key, the alarm went off. Nothing I did with the remote/starting the car would turn it off. There must be some combination of things to do, but without the manual, I just kept trying the remote and starting until it turned off, presumably on its own timetable.

We took another semi-spirited drive (both of my progeny were in the cars) back to Issaquah, where Joe bought us all lunch!

All in all, it was a great road trip and an awesome chance to make a few kids smile.

OP
OP
PacificSEASnake

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least I now have a spare key.:D

By the way... I locked my keys in the F250 this afternoon.:lmao: AAA was actually able to help this time.

Must be something in the water.:dunno: The last time I got locked out of my car was 19 years ago at my cousins wedding.