Thiinking about a Gen 3 or 4?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my Gen 1.5 for 8 years or so.... I bought a new GT500 convertible a few years ago when I was itching for a new toy.... now I am bored with the GT500...and thinking it might be fun to sell the Gen 1.5 and the Shelby and find a newer Viper?

So I come to the Viper community to ask for advise on the best year to buy.... 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008? I would kind of like the 600HP....did that just come out in 2008? I really think I want Silver...... I've had 3 black cars in a row and they are just a ton of work to detail and worry about.......

What is everyone's thoughts....this will be an every day driver.... abotu 18 miles to work from home.....

Thanks in advance,
Lance

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a supercharged 06. It's nice... the newer 08+ have 600 na power, with drive by wire. A bit harder to mod because not as many options with the computer. Figure out your price range, and pick up a gen 3 or 4. You won't be disappointed.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malcoll, it all depends. If you re looking for an everyday driver than a '08 and up might be the better way to go. I love my '08. The clutch is much smoother and the transmission is really easy to shift. Now if you are looking for silver then you will be looking at either a '03-'05 or a '10. Thinking about mods? Then '03-'06. The GEN III cars are much easier to mod. If you are not sure, Ohio VCA is having a track event next friday that you could come out to and see all the different GEN vipers in action. You will not be able to race but you are still welcome to come out and be a spectator. Could be a good chance to ask some questions about the GEN III & GEN IV cars. P.M. me if interested. :)
I've had my Gen 1.5 for 8 years or so.... I bought a new GT500 convertible a few years ago when I was itching for a new toy.... now I am bored with the GT500...and thinking it might be fun to sell the Gen 1.5 and the Shelby and find a newer Viper?

So I come to the Viper community to ask for advise on the best year to buy.... 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008? I would kind of like the 600HP....did that just come out in 2008? I really think I want Silver...... I've had 3 black cars in a row and they are just a ton of work to detail and worry about.......

What is everyone's thoughts....this will be an every day driver.... abotu 18 miles to work from home.....

Thanks in advance,
Lance

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Malcoll, it all depends. If you re looking for an everyday driver than a '08 and up might be the better way to go. I love my '08. The clutch is much smoother and the transmission is really easy to shift. Now if you are looking for silver then you will be looking at either a '03-'05 or a '10.

Still some VOI X's out there for sale:)

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the best year to buy.... 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008?
Check that recalls, etc have been done. I think 05 and 06 had some of the problems fixed that paqued 03/04. 08 had computer problems that needed to be fixed. 09 might be a better choice there if possible.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id say 2008 coupe for 63k...cant go wrong with that....sure you can mod the gen3s but youmll need every bolt on plus stage one head work just to get the 600 the gen4s have stock...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2003 has been pretty fun so far!

You live in Ohio, and will be using the Viper as a daily? I went to college near Cleveland, and I must say, considering the winters, I do hope you have something else to drive though.

Just make sure all the recalls were done on the 2003-4s, and you're fine.

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am actually in Florida now... I really enjoy my 1996 RT.......but without windows it's just not a good DD for me anymore..... I am torn between a 1999 Gen II RT...or skipping Gen II and go straight to Gen IIi or IV.

I know this is fairly subjective....but I was looking for opinions. I appreciate the great replies so far!

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check that recalls, etc have been done. I think 05 and 06 had some of the problems fixed that paqued 03/04.

Do you have more information about this? All I could find in the way of recalls was a possibility of the fuel pump wiring chafing on a heat shield and corrosion in the multifunction headlight switch. Neither of those sound like a big deal to me. Also, both of those were for '03, I couldn't find any recalls for '04.

What are the problems that plagued the 03/04?

Thanks!