Thinking of going from Roe to Paxton...Anyone else??

GoCanes1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS that has some normal mods and a Roe Blower. It has an 8lb pulley now and puts down really good power of 683rwhp and 725rwtq. However, the insanity of wanting more power exists but I am not financially ready to do a full on twin turbo build (also the Roe is not legal in CA and i got another inspection in February). I think I could sell the Roe blower and be able to pay for a good portion of an upgrade to the Paxton.

I saw that RSI had a kit for $6700 and I called Todd at A&C Performance who does all my work and he said he could beat it by a couple hundred dollars. (Not sure if this is repeat customer pricing but I hope you aren't mad at me for telling the price Todd :dunno:)

Others gotta be thinking about this too that don't already have a supercharger, but has anyone else gone from the Roe to a Paxton? What was your experience and how different was the feel? I have never been in a Gen2 with a Paxton just a Gen3 but that is a completely different feel all together. I know that the market is tough now and some prices are being dropped on stuff but damn, under $6500 is nuts. Really tempting.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well if you do, how much are you going to sell your roe for?

Would love to have an 8lb row with a 100 shot of spray.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actually went the other way around and got rid of my heffner/paxton kit for a roe. Way more streetable in my opinion.

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actually went the other way around and got rid of my heffner/paxton kit for a roe. Way more streetable in my opinion.

Can you expand on that? Please describe the differences that you noticed. Thanx

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my take on it..Lee is right...The powerband is wider on the Roe..Starts kicking in real quick, around 1800 rpms...The Paxton ultimatley makes larger RWHP numbers but the boost comes in more on the high end of the RPM range...Sooooo around town driving is more of an experience with the Roe and you get a real snap off the line...You will need to wear Depends in 3rd and 4th gear on the highway with a Paxton.....Al

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree. How can a car be more streetable when the power on the roe comes on right off idle vs power on the paxton coming on progressively as rpms increase. With the paxton you can drive around at 900-1000 rwhp and unless you decide to nail it the car drives close to stock. The roe makes most of it's power early in the rpm range.

Yes I have had both and while I liked the roe I liked the paxton better. Actually I have had 2 roe's the 5 lb setup and the 10 lb setup.

Wezbad1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess since the Roe is not legal in Ca..your options are limited. I did not know the Roe was not legal here. Thanks for the heads up.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i cant speak on roe but i own a paxton and 3rd gear and 4th gear on hyway you need to f'n hold on its a kick in the ass crazy exelleration

fastlane8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the paxtons come with the same wonderful wine the roes do?.....(<--errr ah whine)

May not be a wonderful one,but you can put your wife in the pass seat if you want to hear whining!!:omg::rolaugh:

Hair dryers ......... or NOTHING!!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, if you want more power you could add a 10# pulley and w/m for another 100rwhp. Add another 100rwhp with Nitrous if you need more.

I think I'd keep the Roe and change it in and out for that BS inspection. I love my Roe. Having almost no hp while driving at 1200rpm in 6th would ruin the driving experience.

Ted

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, if you want more power you could add a 10# pulley and w/m for another 100rwhp. Add another 100rwhp with Nitrous if you need more.

I think I'd keep the Roe and change it in and out for that BS inspection. I love my Roe. Having almost no hp while driving at 1200rpm in 6th would ruin the driving experience.

Ted

You are not going to pick up 100 rwhp going from 8# to 10# pulley.

I went from 635 to 660 changing the 8 to a 10 # AND adding a 255 fuel pump.(Already had headers, T&Ds, w/m).

And that was with the best tuner in the business tuning it (Joe D @ PBJ).;)

D

DAMN YANKEE

ROE UNIT

You must be registered for see images

PAXTON UNIT (NEW MODEL)

You must be registered for see images

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well my whole system was way to radical, I always had belt slippage issues, stunk like fuel all the time, the blow off valve was way annoying under normal driving conditions, all lost boost for some reason just had a few bugs in the system that made me replace it with the roe, more personal preference i guess.

This was a 900hp set up im sure if you get the normal kit you should be ok for street drivabilty. Ofcorse the look and the sound of the Roe is BAD ASS!!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoyed my Roe and it was a decent bang for the buck when I got it. It kept me happy for a couple of years until I could do something more.

Now that I have the Underground Racing Paxton setup (blower, fuel system, AEM, water/****, etc), I am kicking myself for not having done it the first time.

I was one of those fools who believed that the Roe made more torque and made power sooner and that the Paxton was more like a turbo.......no power down low, laggy, and then a bigger hit up top. Boy, was I wrong. Anyone whose Paxton doesn't make good power down low doesn't have it tuned right or something. My car has a ton of power down low if I lay into it. And it pulls like a freight train if I keep my foot in it. The Roe made good power down low, but fell on it's face on the big end.

Nobody is going to pick up 100 rwhp on 2 lbs of boost and w/m on a Roe. The highest documented horsepower Roe car in the world is only around 750 rwhp and that's with a 12 lb upper pulley, an underdrive lower pulley, heads, cam, fuel system, etc, etc. The fastest Roe car in the whole world only ran a 9.6 or so with an amazing driver.

Here is my dyno sheet:

Here is my Paxton car 2 days ago:

You decide.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I enjoyed my Roe and it was a decent bang for the buck when I got it. It kept me happy for a couple of years until I could do something more.

Now that I have the Underground Racing Paxton setup (blower, fuel system, AEM, water/****, etc), I am kicking myself for not having done it the first time.

I was one of those fools who believed that the Roe made more torque and made power sooner and that the Paxton was more like a turbo.......no power down low, laggy, and then a bigger hit up top. Boy, was I wrong. Anyone whose Paxton doesn't make good power down low doesn't have it tuned right or something. My car has a ton of power down low if I lay into it. And it pulls like a freight train if I keep my foot in it. The Roe made good power down low, but fell on it's face on the big end.

Nobody is going to pick up 100 rwhp on 2 lbs of boost and w/m on a Roe. The highest documented horsepower Roe car in the world is only around 750 rwhp and that's with a 12 lb upper pulley, an underdrive lower pulley, heads, cam, fuel system, etc, etc. The fastest Roe car in the whole world only ran a 9.6 or so with an amazing driver.

Here is my dyno sheet:

You decide.

Damn Bro that's haulin the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbang: What was your 60'??

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well my whole system was way to radical, I always had belt slippage issues, stunk like fuel all the time, the blow off valve was way annoying under normal driving conditions, all lost boost for some reason just had a few bugs in the system that made me replace it with the roe, more personal preference i guess.

This was a 900hp set up im sure if you get the normal kit you should be ok for street drivabilty. Ofcorse the look and the sound of the Roe is BAD ASS!!!!!

Didn't you buy that setup and do the install yourself? Seems like I remember you posting about having troubles with it. The Underground Paxton setups don't have the belt slipping problems.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't you buy that setup and do the install yourself? Seems like I remember you posting about having troubles with it. The Underground Paxton setups don't have the belt slipping problems.

yes your right. There was nothing wrong with the install, must have been a part issue since the kit was knew. Ive installed dozens of blowers on all my cars and the only one ive ever had problems with was the heffner/paxton kit.

I'm not dogging the Paxton kit at all, just through my experience i am completely happy with the roe. :D

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes your right. There was nothing wrong with the install, must have been a part issue since the kit was knew. Ive installed dozens of blowers on all my cars and the only one ive ever had problems with was the heffner/paxton kit.

I'm not dogging the Paxton kit at all, just through my experience i am completely happy with the roe. :D

I know I'm not inferring that you were dogging the paxton. I just thought I remembered you having issues with the Heffner kit. You weren't the only one.:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My stock 98 GTS with Roe 8#, w/m, hi-flow cats with RT catback made 598rwhp and 644rwtq with a conservative tune.

My 10# with headers, Tb's airfilter box, stock cranks pulley, fuel pump and 9-1 Ross pistons dyno'd 700rwhp. Now it has ported heads, w/m and a crankshaft vacuum pump, 100 shot Nitrous and a lot more hp. No dyno numbers and I don't think I can ever turn on the Nitrous Oxide unless I develop a Death wish. Traction is somewhere around 80mph onlywhen everything is perfect.

Should push well past 750rwhp without Nitrous or odd sized pulleys.

Ted

Ted

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my dyno sheet:

You decide.

The more I see of those UGR paxton cars, the more I want to do that to mine.....

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I see of those UGR paxton cars, the more I want to do that to mine.....

As much as I really wanted to do a twin turbo setup, I am still having a hard time justifying the cost difference. I love the way the Underground Racing Paxton setup drives, how it makes power, how it pulls on the big end, etc. And I especially loved the price.

Unless you really really want to go 8's in your car, I think a UGR Paxton kit with supporting goodies is MORE than you'll probably ever need.

I'm a tough customer. I want things to look good and perform even better. I take excellent care of my cars, but I don't believe in leaving them in the garage and only bringing them to a dyno once a year. I take them to the track. I know there are other good vendors out there, but I couldn't imagine having anyone else build or tune a Viper for me other than Underground Racing. Those guys really know how to build a car that goes fast and holds together.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You decide.

WOW. You sure backed your statements up there. You have a 9.6 sec. in the quarter mile car and I know and have seen you drive that car on cruises (Springfield, Premier) and on trips (Loke of the Ozarks)

So with your Paxton set up you get the best of both Viper worlds, speed and "cruisability"...

Nice Run BTW...

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I really wanted to do a twin turbo setup, I am still having a hard time justifying the cost difference. I love the way the Underground Racing Paxton setup drives, how it makes power, how it pulls on the big end, etc. And I especially loved the price.

Unless you really really want to go 8's in your car, I think a UGR Paxton kit with supporting goodies is MORE than you'll probably ever need.

I'm a tough customer. I want things to look good and perform even better. I take excellent care of my cars, but I don't believe in leaving them in the garage and only bringing them to a dyno once a year. I take them to the track. I know there are other good vendors out there, but I couldn't imagine having anyone else build or tune a Viper for me other than Underground Racing. Those guys really know how to build a car that goes fast and holds together.

9.99 would make me dead happy in my viper. I guess I'm going to try and start piecing a fuel system together little by little. Don't think the misses will be to happy for me to drop 15k all at once. $200 there, $500 there, and she wont ever know;)

Overall though your viper is still very street-able? You wouldn't hesitate driving it 500-600 miles in a weekend? I drive mine out of town at least once a month and put 500+ miles on it. If I can have 900+rwhp and still be able to do that, it's going to be hard to beat UGR's paxton setup.