Thinking of swaping 06 5 Spoke rims/tires for Sidewinders with PS2's?

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking of swaping 06 5 Spoke rims/tires for Sidewinders with PS2\'s?

What are the stock 5 spoke with tires worth I guess? They are brand new and have 10 miles on them, going to pull them right off my coupe as soon as it gets here in a couple weeks.

Are the Sidewinder rims still 34#'s lighter then the 5 spokes coming on my car? or should I just keep my rims and throw the PS2's or Sportsman Cup's on those?

Looking to lose some rim/tire weight, and from reading, looks like I can lose almost 75 pounds! :)

Thanks!
Jason

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Thinking of swaping 06 5 Spoke rims/tires for Sidewinders with PS2\'s?

The sidewinders are lighter. Changing the rims will be your biggest weight gain, the tires wont save a ton. Tire weight difference is only about 3lbs each between runflat and non runflat. But handling and ride will be improved.

And I havent seen any 5 spoke coupe wheels listed in awhile, but they used to bring roughly $ 4k for rims/tires in NEW condition.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anybody have pictures of both rims? I would like to see a side-by-side comparison. They are both a 5 spoke wheel, correct?

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's mine with Sidewinders. Bad picture, sorry.

Ted K
Viper_shots_0141.jpg

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much do the sidewinders cost?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What are the stock 5 spoke with tires worth I guess? They are brand new and have 10 miles on them, going to pull them right off my coupe as soon as it gets here in a couple weeks.

Are the Sidewinder rims still 34#'s lighter then the 5 spokes coming on my car? or should I just keep my rims and throw the PS2's or Sportsman Cup's on those?

Looking to lose some rim/tire weight, and from reading, looks like I can lose almost 75 pounds! :)

Thanks!
Jason

Those that have lost 75 lbs on wheels/tires did so by going to SSR 18" wheels and R compound competition tires which are DOT legal, but not necessarily the most practical tire for the street. Michelin Sport Cups are an example of this type of tire and weigh 30 lbs less than a set of run flats. As mentioned previously, their is much less weight difference between PS2s and run flats.

It should also be mentioned that the 75 lb savings number was using factory 10 spokes as a starting point which are heavier than 5 spokes. There is still some weight savings to be had by going to the Sidewinders and PS2s, but no where near 75lbs. Probably about half that.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sidewinders + Stoptech rotors + PS2's will get you very close to the 75 pound total weight savings for less than the HRE's. My preference is to retain the stock tire sizes.

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are the sports cups ok for street use? Even if they don't last more then 3-5k miles, I really don't mind changing them that often.

Does anybody know the weight difference between the 5 spokes I have and the Sidewinders?

Thanks!
Jason

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Are the sports cups ok for street use? Even if they don't last more then 3-5k miles, I really don't mind changing them that often.

Does anybody know the weight difference between the 5 spokes I have and the Sidewinders?

Thanks!
Jason

There are pros and cons to street use:

pros:
1. 30 lbs lighter than stock run-flats which makes a very noticeable and possitive difference in performance, handling and braking.
2. Better grip (at least in warm weather).
3. Smoother ride than run-flats.

Cons:
1. Rapid wear. Order them pre-heat cycled from Tire Rack (cost an extra $15 per tire) and they will last longer and perform better, especially on the track.
2. Poor traction in cold weather. Definitely worse than regular tires.
3. Not bad on wet roads, but heavy rain with lots of standing water can be a problem.
4. Tend to "bump steer" much worse than factory tires on roads that are rutted from heavy truck traffic. If you live an area were the roads are bad this way, I wouldn't recommend them. It's a real pain in the butt and can be dangerous.

All that said, I still use them on the street myself and have them mounted on 18" SSRs. The improvement in performance is worth the negative aspects to me.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score

wicked--

Let me know if your going to get rid of those factory 5 spoke. I think i would be interested in buying them.

Brian

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Wicked,

I went from factory 5 spokes with run flats to polished sidewinders and non-run flat pilots. Weight loss was almost 50 lbs. Performance improvement was immediate and much greater than expected.

Their is one more negative to the Cups. They will sandblast the area behind your tires. That said, I run Kumho Ecsta V-700s on the rear. They are much stickier than the cups, last longer and handle better. They are also not so slippery when cold. A much better performance tire. They too sand blast the area behind the tire.

Good luck.

Dan

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much is a fair asking price for my factory 5 spokes w/ tires?

Also, what can I do to prevent this sandblast effect? Put that 3M protective coating over those areas? I'd hate to cause any undue damage to the car because of a tire swap.

Thanks!
Jason

SANDHU

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I for one like the 5 spokes you get from the factory :)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

there are two five spoke wheels that came from the factory on SRT-10's the SRT-Sidwinder(polished finish) on the Copperhead(may have been an option on others later) and the one that came out in'06 with the spokes flush with the wheel rim.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How much is a fair asking price for my factory 5 spokes w/ tires?

Also, what can I do to prevent this sandblast effect? Put that 3M protective coating over those areas? I'd hate to cause any undue damage to the car because of a tire swap.

Thanks!
Jason

Just list them on here or ebay and see what you get offered. They used to bring about $4K for wheels/tires. Thats for the 06 5 spokes that are flush. The sidewinder wheels (which only came on the 05 copperhead edition) are less money. Ive seen sets sold on ebay for around $2-3K with wheels/tires.

I honestly think I like the look of the coupe 5 spoke better, I wanted to trade at one point. But knowing that the sidewinder wheels on mine are lighter,Ill probably just keep these and get rid of the run flats.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

here is mine with SRT-Sidewinder [silver] thanks JonB www.partsrack.com
4963vipe_wheel_001.jpg

Thanks Michael

PartsRack has 2 sets of these beautiful 18-19" Viper-Silver wheels in stock at under $2600/set of four, with $50/set Shipping USA48 in FEB or til sold !!

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A friend's car.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images