This is different--almost got skewered (pics)

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully the pics came through. It seems like a piece of sharp metal penetrated the windshield frame, oh, about 6 inches from my head. The metal came from the soft-top receiver in the frame. My car is a '94 BTW. You can see the slice in the frame in the attached pic.

So, I figured I needed a new soft-top mounting clasp receiver, which I purchased (2 pieces of plastic , 4 screws and a 2 small metal plates...$150.00! Ouch!).

The way it should work is to remove the old plastic cover on the windshield frame with a heat gun, expose the old camloc that holds the soft top in place at the windshield, remove the 2 screws holding the camloc in place and simply ***** in the new one and glue on the new plastic cover. Simple, no?

The only problem, as you can see from the pics, there is no camloc that gets ******* in. All the metal hardware is actually "in" the windshield frame, and it's pretty mangled...but luckily it still works. The new camlock won't even fit over the existing hole. So, I guess my only option is to keep it working...otherwise, the wizard says a new windshield frame only costs....$12,000!!

Yikes. Anyone ever see this before?
~Craig

Attachments

• IMG_6384.JPG
    IMG_6384.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_6383.JPG
    IMG_6383.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6390.JPG
    IMG_6390.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 177
V

Venomiss

Whoaa. :omg: Wild stuff and maybe ab could come up with an idea for a solution?
I would not want to spend that much for a new one....somebody's gotta have some ideas for you. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madsmokey12