Three Generations - A Photo Comparison

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great shot comparison. Each great for their time, but hands down, the GenV is the best looking to me and actually in these shots looks meaner and slicker. Sits low and I think is more agressive front to rear and gladly nothing cartoonish about it.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great photo comparison. It kind of looks like the 1st two merged to become the 3rd. Damn that Gen V looks sweet and agressive in that pic.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice comparison. I have the car on top (well 2000 red ACR). The only problem with that pic is that the car is not polished out like the other two and that makes a HUGE difference visually. But we can clearly see they are all Viper and it is nice to see that they are similar to how other manufacters make cars that take small steps forward while keeping the heritage. I do think the lines flow much better on the GTS though. The gen 5 does look low and menacing with it's stance and wheels. However I just love how the Gen II door lines swoop down and out and then back up into the hood. The gen 5 is more subtle and swoops down but not really out or up. Personal preferance I guess, but I just love how the Gen II starts from the tail high, then swoops low into the door which goes down and out then back up with the hood. Just so different and so exotic. Just awesome.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of those ****. I don't understand all the fuss. (don't like this / don't like that / not enough whatever) All Vipers are killer!-------always remember (for most of us), the coolest Viper, is the one in our own garage.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the same comparison with the distance between the top pf the tires and the body panels the same as in the Gen V photo. That will be a more apples to apples comparison.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it shows the times perfectly. 90's vehicles were made with alot of curves, in 00's it was more angles and straight lines, then we have the 10's with alot of American vehicles looking more European in the design. No Viper will look as good as the real GTS in my eyes... I was a young boy when I fell in love, owning my dream car is awesome!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Great comparison - thanks for putting this together. I wasn't sure about my thoughts after seeing it on stage via the web - but I do have to say that the more an more I see it, the more and more I like it. The interior looks pretty amazing, and there are a number of new things that hopefully attract new buyers to the brand. It's not that we are going to see one every 2 minutes like another american sportscar - so we still maintain that rare feeling when seeing a Viper.

You can definitely see the Viper bloodlines - but we need to see how it will look *******!

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the pic of the 1996 GTS is a bit cut off, need to find a better pic of it in that angle. Anyone have a pic from that angle I can use, for better comparison?

You must be registered for see images

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The gen 5 is way better than the 3-4 but nothing beats the gen 2. The gen 5 is a modern version of the gen 2.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad the pic of the 1996 GTS is a bit cut off, need to find a better pic of it in that angle. Anyone have a pic from that angle I can use, for better comparison?

You must be registered for see images

Love the rendering too. Looks great with stripes! :yay:

Any chance that could be changed silver with graphite stripes or if it looks better, graphite with silver stripes?

Last edited:

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of those ****. I don't understand all the fuss. (don't like this / don't like that / not enough whatever) All Vipers are killer!-------always remember (for most of us), the coolest Viper, is the one in our own garage.
You are absolutely right. And for those who don't own one but would love to own one, the coolest Viper is ANY and EVERY Viper. They are all special machines, and unique in their own ways.***

***Honourable shout-out to Mopar Boy: Unless its red because we all know yellow is faster.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gen 5 is way better than the 3-4 but nothing beats the gen 2. The gen 5 is a modern version of the gen 2.

You're right. Now that the Gen 5 has been released I've come to realize how much all the Gen 3's and 4's ****.
What were people thinking buying those years? I myself mistakenly bought two and I'm embarrassed to be seen in one now. I feel foolish supporting Dodge with my wallet and not my mouth.

We all should have laid back, never bought anything past 2002 and taught Dodge a valuable lesson. Even though many of the same team worked on those years as well as the new one, they sucked then and should be embarrassed what they produced.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon, what the heck is a comment like that?

I've supported Dodge for 20+ years and 8 Vipers buddy.

I've had ALL Gens and out of the 4 so far I like my GEN 2 the most.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.You're right. Now that the Gen 5 has been released I've come to realize how much all the Gen 3's and 4's ****.
What were people thinking buying those years? I myself mistakenly bought two and I'm embarrassed to be seen in one now. I feel foolish supporting Dodge with my wallet and not my mouth.

We all should have laid back, never bought anything past 2002 and taught Dodge a valuable lesson. Even though many of the same team worked on those years as well as the new one, they sucked then and should be embarrassed what they produced.
Thankyou for realizing this bit of philosophical truth::smirk:
I am a reformed Gen IV hater always preferred the Gen III or IV vert didn't initially like the coupe but you can see from my avatar I had a change of heart! Nothing meaner looking than a black and red ACR. Well I'm biased:)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
All Vipers are cool, all years. They all have different flavors, but hey, that's like anything else- Food, music, art, people. I have my opinion about what I like best, but so does everyone, so what? My opinion is worth what you pay for it. All that matters is that you are happy with your choice. No need to bash anyone's Viper.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right. Now that the Gen 5 has been released I've come to realize how much all the Gen 3's and 4's ****.

You are exactly right, Jon. Thanks for the having the guts to tell it like it is.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comparisons really show how little shape the SRT-10 had. The sides are so straight and flat. It's nice to see some shape change in the new car.

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My dream would be have one of each in my garage. As stated before, each one has their individual personalities.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice post. the most glaring thing in this comparo is the awful SUV ride height of the previous generations. Im so glad they cured that with the Gen V. I love Vipers period. But my fav will always be the original b/w GTS for sentimental reasons. But after seeing the Gen V in person Sunday from the rear and rear 3/4 views its has smitten me as its just really a highly refined Gen II GTS. If they could just fix that front end lol. Its crazy to hate on the Gen III & IV especially considering it was the most dominant factory stock street Viper to date, with the ACR which smacked around the elite cars of the world on track. I expect the Gen V to surpass even the ACR's incredible feats.