Ticket for No Front Plate

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it took them around 3 years but, I got one today. Just so the rest of you guys in Virginia know, Virginia State Police got me and the fine is $25 plus $40 processing fee and $7 "Other fees"

What a rip off
mad.gif
pissed.gif

Oh well, told him to give me my ticket and since he'll never have a car like this he would never understand
laugh.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
supergrin.gif

He didn't like that.......
tongue.gif

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad Lee, sorry to hear you're out a few bucks. Come down to Bama land where they give you but one plate per car
supergrin.gif

Mike

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it *****. I recently got one and here in Oregon it is $77 which seems pretty darn steep. I wrote the court a letter and sent it in with my fine. The judge reviewed it and found me guilty (which I obviously was), but they refunded the fine minus some court costs, so I consider it a victory! Below is the letter I used.

---

Dear Sir or Madam:
This letter is in response to the ticket I received for failure to display a front license plate. The vehicle in question is a 2001 Dodge Viper.

This vehicle is a specialty vehicle with no provisions for mounting a front plate and I know of none registered in Oregon that has a front plate installed. The dealership where I purchased it refused to install a front plate on it at the time of purchase for the same reasons. This vehicle is also not my primary mode of transportation.

After purchasing the vehicle, I went to the Sherwood DMV to investigate what my options were in regards to this, and the person waiting on me did not have any information to provide to me on this matter. For instance, whether is it legal to display the license plate or a facsimile in the windshield.

I also investigated other possible options, which included suction cupping the plate to the vehicle, but individuals who have tried this have reportedly had some of these come off at highway speeds and cause loss of the plate and damage to the vehicle as well as creating a road hazard for others.

The vehicle is leased and the front fascia on this vehicle is very expensive if I were to modify it to mount a plate. With the lack of support provided by the vehicle manufacturer and no guidance from the Oregon DMV, I feel that I am between a rock and a hard spot on this matter. While $77 seems excessive for a violation that most people consider without any practical application, it is relatively inexpensive compared to my other options. I see no choice but to pay the fine and hope that in the future the Tigard police department does not make it a frequent habit to run me down on the highway only for the purpose of ticketing me for no front plate.

Sincerely,

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep illegal here in NY too.Haven't been stopped yet.I am planning to say there is no provision for a front plate except drilling holes in the front which I will not do and neither would you.So lets just go on our ways or write up the ticket and lets go on our ways. Bruce

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$120 in Canada, that's around 75 US, woohoo........

1 so far, I'm sure I'll see more,

The cop says after he hands me the ticket, "This is a lesson to get that plate on there"......quite the lesson, I enjoyed it.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been lucky so far here in IL (knock on wood) with all of the cars I've had except one and that car was a Ford Mustang. I guess the cops don't like them
frown.gif

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got an idea. I just added a resin transfer printer to my graphics LLC. It prints on standard 2 mil adhesive vinyl, and the result is 3 year outdoor durable. Any thoughts on the legality of a digital photo of your plate being printed as a decal and applied to the car. I could do these for about 5 dollars materials cost.

ezgoinn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just paid mine thanks to the Rockville City, MD police....you'd think they would be out finding a sniper in Montgomery County...but nope!

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the relative frequency I find Washington State's finest shadowing me around, I'm surprised I haven't yet been cited for no front plate.

When I do, I plan on gettting their opinion on a document I crafted that does a fair job of claiming an exemption.

I've spoken to a few troopers about this law, and I have been told that even if I were ticketed for no plate, someone wearing a black robe would likely let me off if I did a good job explaining things. I was also told by a sergeant in the WA patrol that there is one car that has succeeded in gaining a legal exemption to the front plate law, but he would not tell me - for whatever reason - which vehicle it was.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in Winnipeg it's $45.00 bucks!
I just tell the officer, "hope you like paper work, because it'll be a cold day in hell before I'll drill holes in the front of this thing. See ya next week!"
They kinda give you this stupid look, like ***, when you smile as you drive off.
I'm sure he's thinking, like a $45.00 fine is gonna stop this guy from running around with only 1 plate, why do I waste my time.
At least I hope that's what they think!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is sick, but whenever I consider moving to another state, the first thing I think of is whether a front license plate is required. It's a reason enough to stay in Pennsylvania. The thought of a front plate is unbearable.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although CO requires a front plate, I have never been ticketed or even questioned about the front plate. (knock on wood) I've had several conversations with chance encounters with the police and not once has anyone mentioned anything about the front plate
supergrin.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Adkins:
Given the relative frequency I find Washington State's finest shadowing me around, I'm surprised I haven't yet been cited for no front plate.

When I do, I plan on gettting their opinion on a document I crafted that does a fair job of claiming an exemption.

I've spoken to a few troopers about this law, and I have been told that even if I were ticketed for no plate, someone wearing a black robe would likely let me off if I did a good job explaining things. I was also told by a sergeant in the WA patrol that there is one car that has succeeded in gaining a legal exemption to the front plate law, but he would not tell me - for whatever reason - which vehicle it was.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats cool Dave but if you get a trooper to sign that you deserve an award, good luck.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where I am, you have to have front plates.

New Mexico which is only about 90 miles away is only a rear plate, so the local police are not that active about pulling people over.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far no tickets or even pulled over. I have many friends on the police force and the saying goes that if a cop pulls you over for no front plate, he is the kind of guy that would give his mother a ticket (actually the word they used starts with an S and ends with a G. If you get pulled over for some other reason and you wind up getting a missing front plate ticket it's either because you show disrespect, tried to be a wise *** , or see previous paragraph.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tacdoc...I saw a Diablo with an adhesive color copy of the plate on the lower curve of the front airdam...legal in NY who knows?...probably not but just the effort might make em give you a break.

Lee...never say "never"...what you said to that Trooper was ugly and says a lot about you.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Indiana = No front plate, no motor vehicle inspection, no emissions testing.

Can't last forever but so far still the self proclaimed Racing Capital Of The World.</FONT f>

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry Dobson:
Kansas = One plate.

But the odd thing is that if you get "Personal" plates, you MUST mount two by law.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank fell for that too.
supergrin.gif
Having had nothing but personal plates in Kansas for almost ten years, I can tell you that I have NEVER put one on the front of ANY of my vehicles. Never had a problem, even if pulled over in one of those vehicles. It has never been mentioned by any law enforcement officials, even when they are looking the car over at car shows (fairly often). My belief is that Kansas does not require a front plate, period. They give you an "extra" personalized plate because you paid extra to display them. They are a courtesy from Kansas, nothing more. At least that is what somebody told me from DMV, in case I am ever questioned about it...
wink.gif

Chris

PS. No emmissions or inspections here either...
PPS. I would NEVER say anything derogatory to a cop no matter how much I did or did not deserve the ticket. In Lee's case, like it or not he broke the law. Insulting a cop wasn't called for. Chances are excellent that he puts a lot more on the line for his job every day and now was reminded by some guy that he may never be paid enough for it. Add to that the fact that he might make an extra effort to nail the next Viper he sees, no matter what. He now has a stereotype of ALL Viper owners...
frown.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, yeh I fell for it, but ain't never gonna wear a front license plate in the future, unless nailed by the police, then might reconsider and put some suckers on the front.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both plates required here in Texas, Unless you are licened auto dealer. I am and will remain so. Thats enough reason to alone, well you have to buy and sell a few cars also to keep the licence, but thats fun and proffitable also. Dealers use what is called a master plate on any thing they own. Only one is used.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If memory serves me, a guy in NJ once posted that he simply asked his dealer to make a "back order" paper, showing a front tag bracket on back order. Every so often he would get a new one with a later date. When pulled over, he would show the officer that slip, saying "I have been trying to get a bracket, but they are on back order." Said it worked for him.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don:
Although CO requires a front plate, I have never been ticketed or even questioned about the front plate. (knock on wood) I've had several conversations with chance encounters with the police and not once has anyone mentioned anything about the front plate
supergrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colorado has been good to me too...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in PA, so it is not a concern. Although, drilling holes is not required. Do a search, as I recall someone has developed a mounting bracket (no drilling required) to address this very problem. Given, the front plate still takes away from look, but at least you don't have to damage the Viper.

Later

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, Lee, Lee...I guess that car was due for another ticket!

When I bought that car from SW almost 4 years back, a buddy of mine flew down to Texas with me and helped drive it back. He was ticketed in Arkansas by a trooper at 90 MPH. I was the lucky passenger. When he paid the fine, he sent a note with the check that said "I assume this money will be used for your state's ***** teen mother fund."

When I drove that car cross-country from Vegas to LA then back to DC after VOI5, another buddy of mine was ticketed, also for 90, in CA. Four other Vipers and a Prowler in the pack were also nailed at the same time by CHP. As was some mid-70s ghetto Vette. Again, I was in the passenger seat.

In summer, 2000, driving back from a Mopar show in Richmond, yet another buddy was driving the Venom while I drove my HEMI Charger (getting my *** kicked time after time...). The VA State Police ticketed that guy for...guess what...90 MPH!

So, three different friends getting nailed in my Venom, and the only thing I ever got pulled over for in that car was lack of front plate! I was lucky...three times the cops bought my story: "Yeah, I smacked the nose on a curb, broke the plate frame, Dodge doesn't keep them in stock, and the part is on order. Tag's in the trunk...wanna see it?" One cop did indeed want to see the tag. The others didn't. No tickets or fines.

Looks like that car's luck ran out...

Lee - side note: Capristang is for sale by a local used car dealer. I saw it earlier today. The guy I sold it to traded it in on a nasty-looking '68 Camaro 'vert, all tubbed and ghetto-looking. What a Communist! I'll never understand Chevy ******.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave