Time for a new Clutch?

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 31'000 miles on my GTS now, with only mild modifications and average use (no track or 1/4 mile).

Within the last +/-2000 miles i noticed that the clutchpedal get more and more firmer and the car is a little bit harsh to drive in 3rd/4th gear at low speeds.
It remembers me about the 340 Sixpack 4-Speed Cuda i owned after highshool... but the firm pedal is not one of the nice things to remember. ;)

I read that a firm pedal indicates a worn clutch... but is my other problem also typical?

How many miles you got from a stock clutch?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dino,
Usally when the clutch wears out it grabs higher and higher till there is no more clutch [slips]. If the pedal goes hard, it maybe a hydraulic problem? Try changing the brake fluid in the clutch system [use DOT4] and see if that works? That's what I would try first.

edretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually doesn't a hard pedal usually mean a Flywheel problem? A soft pedal would most certainly be a hydraulic problem with the probable cause being the throwout/clutch release bearing. Usually they leak and you don't notice anything on the ground since a wind deflector catches the seepage.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually doesn't a hard pedal usually mean a Flywheel problem? A soft pedal would most certainly be a hydraulic problem with the probable cause being the throwout/clutch release bearing. Usually they leak and you don't notice anything on the ground since a wind deflector catches the seepage.

Never heard of that one? You may get a chatter/vibration out of a flywheel but not a hard pedal. A soft pedal is what we're looking for. If a slave cyl is leaking you'll probably get a no pedal or low pedal. A hard pedal could also be a T/O bearing hanging up on the slave cyl housing?
It is still a good place to start by changing the fluid!

Dino back to your question: How long do they last? I have replaced them at 4000 miles and then I drove a Viper not that long ago that had 101,000 miles on it with original clutch still in it. It comes down to how it's being used.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now keep in mind I do not own a Viper yet (I need to sell my 61 Bonneville Convertable first). However in trying to do my homework I bought Maurice Liang's Viper Buyer's Guide Book and in it he says:
"Check the Cluth pressure. While it is difficult to tell unless you've just driven a new Viper. a Viper clutch gets heavier as it wears out. Eventually the pressure needed to push the clutch in may bend the rod."

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced them at 4000 miles and then I drove a Viper not that long ago that had 101,000 miles on it with original clutch still in it. It comes down to how it's being used.
As Chuck knows, my clutch AND tranny managed to get ruined by the previous owner of my car and he/she did it in less than 10K miles. I had the clutch replaced and tranny rebuilt by Chuck. IMO, the person who owned my car before I bought it must have learned (badly) how to drive a stick on my Viper, and hosed them both in the process. Used cars, you take your chances.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now keep in mind I do not own a Viper yet (I need to sell my 61 Bonneville Convertable first). However in trying to do my homework I bought Maurice Liang's Viper Buyer's Guide Book and in it he says:
"Check the Cluth pressure. While it is difficult to tell unless you've just driven a new Viper. a Viper clutch gets heavier as it wears out. Eventually the pressure needed to push the clutch in may bend the rod."

Wow, maybe I should get the book and read it because I've never heard that! Hey Maurice I'm not jumping on you book but that statement doesn't make since to me? [Flame suite on! :D ] A heavier clutch feel is usually a hydraulic issue.

OP
OP
V

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Wizard, i checked the hydraulic actuators and changed the fluid few weeks ago, should be ok...

With a hydraulic actuation, the peadl should stay in the same position even when the clutch wears...

Anyway i checked pricing for the clutch kit and it is very cheap. I think i will change it when i'm not to busy.
Maybe my harsh ride is because damaged or worn damping springs in my clutchdisc... had the same problem once in my Cuda... and there are not lightyears between these clutches.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a hydraulic actuation, the peadl should stay in the same position even when the clutch wears...

Anyway i checked pricing for the clutch kit and it is very cheap. I think i will change it when i'm not to busy.
Maybe my harsh ride is because damaged or worn damping springs in my clutchdisc... had the same problem once in my Cuda... and there are not lightyears between these clutches.

A hydraulic clutch system has no adjustment so as the clutch disc wears down the clutch will grab higher and higher till no more. As for your harsh ride I don't thing you did anything to the springs, unless you had a lot of smoke coming out of your bell housing. You'll find that the clutch is as big or bigger then your Cuda. Let us all know what you find when you replace it. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4