Time for a tire change?

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my RT/10 in the summer of 2010. The previous owner put new PS2s on the Viper sometime around Fall 2009 I believe. I've only put a few thousand pampered miles on it since I've owned it; with the occasional spirited sprints mixed in. The Viper sat through three winters in a non-heated garage. Is it time for new tires already? Again, I pamper the car and only get on it when the wheels are 100% pointed straight.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right on the threshold just like me... 4-5 years.
I think if you just putz around town and baby it you can wait till next season to get them.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you noticed a loss of grip? How long a tire lasts can vary widely with climate, storage, and use.

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my RT/10 in the summer of 2010. The previous owner put new PS2s on the Viper sometime around Fall 2009 I believe. I've only put a few thousand pampered miles on it since I've owned it; with the occasional spirited sprints mixed in. The Viper sat through three winters in a non-heated garage. Is it time for new tires already? Again, I pamper the car and only get on it when the wheels are 100% pointed straight.

I have not seen anything less than 6 years and Michelin and Continental say 10 Yrs to replace regardless of tread.

OP
OP
J

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you noticed a loss of grip? How long a tire lasts can vary widely with climate, storage, and use.

I haven't taken out of storage yet. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread (but the answer may be helpful to the OP) but does anyone know if shaving an old tire helps it any? On the assumption that the outside oxidizes and gets hard before the inside does, then shaving would expose better rubber wouldn't it? Most street cars time-out before the tread-out so maybe shaving is a way to make 4-5 year old tires better/safer?

Or maybe this is totally stupid for a reason I'm missing ;-)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire guys will rarely shave used tires anymore. The little sipes on newer tires tend to pick up tiny rocks that ruin their expensive blades.

In the past they would shave used tires to get rid of flat spots, but most will no longer put a blade to tires that have been run on the street.

For the OP. Your tires should be fine, however fresher tires are better than older ones, and Viper Parts of America has a tremendous deal right now on the new Pilot SuperSports.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62