Time Trials competion at NARRA/Viper Days

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one of a few changes to enhance the offering. We are really working hard to make this series one of, if not, the best in the US.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its great to have a series where everyone can go head to head. Be sure to consider that a great motivation for the top TT guys is to go for track records. I hope you will be keeping records. Of course, open passing will be necessary.

One little point from the rules i noted, the spec for 3" shoulder belt should be changed due to the predominant 2" belts used for Hans. Did you mean to say 3" waist and 2" shoulder belts?

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like a great addition to the program. Not sure I agree with Boxer 12's assessment that open passing will be a necessity , as frankly alot of folks may be doing this for the first time or have very limited door to door racing credentials. Would imagine alot of folks would want to do Time Trials just for the reason that they don't want to be door to door with others.........if that was the case let's do flat out racing. Just my opinion, but having had a competition license with SCCA for quite awhile, I get a bit nervous around folks who have little experience passing --- and in a Time Trial that could constitute the majority of the drivers.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True Story: When I got the email for the racing classes I had an email typed out to recommend adding some time trials based on the same power to weight ratios as the race classes, I deleted it because I didn't know who to send it to. Then I got an email a few days later with the news. Great stuff!!!

So for example Road Atlanta, when will the Time Trials be run? Will they have their own group? Run with Super Solo? Run with qualifying for the race group?

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open passing needs to be considered. Take some advice from someone who has done TT for years. If there is no open passing, imo, then it will be inferior to other TT programs. Here is why. First session is always first come first in line. If a fast guy like Bill ends up in the back, he could never get in a good lap if he can only pass on the straights. Not one lap, all weekend, unless he lags WAY BACK and tries to make a big gap. If you have 5-10 guys doin the same thing, you might as well forget it. The pack will get strung way out, and the front guys won't even get in a fast lap. Passing is the only way to effectively deal with slow cars/drivers in the early sessions. Once the pack gets sorted, there should be very little passing because the guy in front of you is theoretically faster.

One more way to explain the problem with traditional 'pass on the straights only' events. Guys who are slow are slow in the corners. Anybody with a Big Bore/Viper can come out of a turn slow and drag race to the end of the straight. A faster driver can set up one or maybe two slower cars for a pass by coming out of the corner faster, but will be hard pressed to get in a 10/10th lap. TT events in NASA are decided by tenths, sometimes hundredths or thousandths of a second. One slow corner and you 'lose.'

One more thing, who says you will have 'novice' track guys in TT any more than racing? The rules already say you need either a racing license or other organization TT license. In NASA, again for instance, you have to be passed through four (4) levels of HPDE to get a TT license. That involves gradual introduction to passing and eventually open passing.

A lot of guys to TT instead of racing because of the 'wear and tear' of the racing events, which is expensive to all, and to some it seems pointless. Most of the top TT guys lay down their fastest lap in the first one or two laps per session, then get off. Your car doesn't get so hot, and the wear and tear is minimal compared to racing. Some guys don't want to convert their cars to race cars...with cages you lose the ability to safely operate on the street. That applies to almost all ACR owners.

If you limit TT to race drivers/cars, then you will exclude a big share of Viper drivers. If someone is nervous about doing TT, then they can stick with racing. I assume TT is trying to attract a 'different' group or drivers anyway.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting info, and glad to know one has to have some credentials. Would likely work well with a Novice sticker on the back also for those just starting, just like in a race series. Good points and well taken, just sounds intriguing, but not wanting to go door to door with my baby, have other cars to roadrace to do that with.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO people who aren't comfortable with open passing have NO BUSINESS in a Time Trial. There are certain basics that should be required with trying to make a fastest lap. And one of them is taking a turn off line so someone can pass you, or vice versa. Going as fast as you can and taking a turn off line are both about car control and awareness. And you should also be well versed on checking (but not driving in) your mirrors.

Novice's should not be allowed anywhere near a TT when there will be HUGE discrepancies in speed (another reason for open passing). It will not be interesting if you get a slow car out there with a train behind them waiting for a point by.

Intermediates and Novices possibly should be able to go by the old Viper Days deal where they could put a transponder on the car and get their times at the end of the session, but not be part of any competition.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Novice's should not be allowed anywhere near a TT when there will be HUGE discrepancies in speed (another reason for open passing). It will not be interesting if you get a slow car out there with a train behind them waiting for a point by.

Intermediates and Novices possibly should be able to go by the old Viper Days deal where they could put a transponder on the car and get their times at the end of the session, but not be part of any competition.

Your last suggestion is how it will be.

This is fine by me !!! I love getting out there and driving as fast as I am comfortable with; but, have no competitive genes and am not comfortable with open passing. I'm thinking that the majority of guys like me wouldn't be interested in TT anyway; so, no problems!
The only thing that concerns me is that this new "TT group" might reduce my track time at an NARRA event ?

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that you'll get any less track time than what your accustomed too. Rather, there will be cars specifically concentrating on time trials while those not opting for this will enjoy a high performance driving experience. Indeed, the race groups will remain as-is. The change is to promote an overall improvement in the weekend experience.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe that you'll get any less track time than what your accustomed too. Rather, there will be cars specifically concentrating on time trials while those not opting for this will enjoy a high performance driving experience. Indeed, the race groups will remain as-is. The change is to promote an overall improvement in the weekend experience.

Great ! I'd be there anyway. I wouldn't miss a chance to be out there with this group of folks !