Timing chain cover

Hardrockminer1967

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for direction (instruction/description) for changing the timing cover gasket on my 97 GTS. It is leaking Antifreeze. yay for me... I have it stripped down to even having the top cross member removed along with hood and nose cone (naturally AC not working so figured I will search that out as well.) (joyful but figured it out by jacking the lower cross member) but I am at the point of no return and looking for any paperwork or manual for doing this that anyone may have.... Yes, I do plenty of repairs but usually on my flatheads and the old modal A 4 cyls.... I do have assistance by a mechanic friend but we want to ensure we fully understand the process prior to making an expensive mess up..Help?? and thanks ahead of time...

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have you got it off yet? It's possible that it might use an o-ring instead of a gasket, which makes for a pretty straightforward replacement. I know my gen 3 was that way at least, but not sure when it changed.

OP
OP
H

Hardrockminer1967

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no. I have not as I am a bit worried on the harmonic balancer (spelling?) and messing any internals. Hoping for some paperwork to review prior to. Thanks for the response... I have huge issues finding any parts way up north. Seems Dodge left us all high and dry...

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I guess the damper on those isn't necessarily as straightforward to pull because of the super long crank bolt if I remember right. Or at least it was that way on my gen 3. I ended up buying the dealer tools off of Ebay and elsewhere as I have little intention of every selling my car, so wanted to get them while I still could. The balancer itself can be pulled with a generic pulling tool, but you might need an insert to go in the crank bolt hole to have something for the puller to push against. Though maybe the gen 2 wasn't as bad. The little insert itself is fairly cheap and easy to come by though. I still had issues with it though and had to modify it a little bit as it would get wedged in the bolt hole on mine for some reason.