Tinted/Blacked Out Rear Tail Lights

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came across a video of a guy burning out on a city street :dunno: and noticed his tinted rear tail lights on a red GTS and liked them. i have searched for about an hour and only found a few threads on this topic which did not supply enough photos for me to made a final decision or vendors that offer pre cut tinted film. If anyone has some photos or videos of blacked out rears especially on a red viper it would be great if you could post them. Also are there any vendors that have pre cut film for the tail lights? It would be great if there is a option where I do not have to remove the rear lights and cut a sheet of tint. I would like to avoid this if I can.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIi4Wx-Hx5U&feature=related[/media]

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done by Matt Chambers. He i sa member of the AL/TN club and if you want to talk to him, best to go to the Tail of the Dragon drive:

http://forums.viperclub.org/alabama-tennessee/643100-tail-dragon-june-3rd-weekend.html#post2953703

Here is what mine look like:

tail.jpg

101_2406.jpg

F

FrgMstr

Check and make sure your local cops will not freak and state inspection. I murdered out my H2 in 2003 and have never had issues, but the only person that will let it pass state inspection it is the local Hummer dealer.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the tip, MA is not to bad with this type of stuff, for the most part cops leave you alone if you're not being a nob

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check and make sure your local cops will not freak and state inspection. I murdered out my H2 in 2003 and have never had issues, but the only person that will let it pass state inspection it is the local Hummer dealer.

You must be registered for see images

The blacked out one looks like it is ready to invade something...

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used VHT on most of my cars, stuff works great just practice on something first because it has a very thin viscosity and will run easily.:2tu:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to do this also, but that guy chose a very bad spot to do a burnout.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree, very narrow road with little space to correct if the back end got away not to mention a person could have easy stepped out between the cars and only given the drive seconds to react. Yikes!!

I would like to do this also, but that guy chose a very bad spot to do a burnout.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks, I'm more interested in film because it will allow me to remove if I do have some problems with inspection or I find I'm not a fan of them. I love the look for the finished spray product. If I can somehow find another set of tail lights at a reasonable price I will do this option. thanks again for the link!

I plan on doing mine as soon as the weather warms up... Here's a good tutorial... Smoked Tail Lights: Tutorial

F

FrgMstr

I plan on doing mine as soon as the weather warms up... Here's a good tutorial... Smoked Tail Lights: Tutorial

When I did the H2, I took off all the lights and had those professionally sprayed, all 14 of those if I recall correctly. I have had to replace a couple of those as they were broken while off roading. I have used the Nite Shades spray and it does work if you use it in several coats and don't get impatient with it. Make sure you clear coat afterwards.

I recently did the lights on my Viper. I used a precut film for those and it worked out pretty well. The second headlight came out a lot better than the first. I bought my kits from Lamin-X.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
scratch the idea of me purchasing a second set of tail lights and turn signals, they are a small fortune for used ones :omg:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
scratch the idea of me purchasing a second set of tail lights and turn signals, they are a small fortune for used ones :omg:

Hey Johnny...did you ever get a Viper? Just curious, because I remember that you were shopping around pretty heavily last month for one...:dance:

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Johnny...did you ever get a Viper? Just curious, because I remember that you were shopping around pretty heavily last month for one...:dance:

Hey Andrew, I did not end up getting one. I did locate one two weeks ago that I came dam near buying. It was a yellow 2002 RT with 18 thousand mile and only around 270 miles from my house, nicely upgraded stereo system, the double bubble top and a car cover but no paper work and original tires for 33K. The guy originally said he would take a bank check so I was going to go down to my bank and have one cut, he then informed me that he was uncomfortable with that method of payment and insisted on cash. So it now being Friday with a pick up date on Saturday. I asked my bank for cash and they informed me they could not give me the full amount and would need to order in money to the branch I was at and would be available Monday. I was taken a little back by this because I needed the money the following day and my bank would not allow me to have it. They said I could go to 4 different branches and pull out a max of $10,000 at each branch but I would have 4 cash transaction they would need to report to the feds and they told me it could raise a red flag. I said no thank you and called the guy up and said he would need to accept the bank check but said that he does not know me and does not feel comfortable. I have given up on it for now, I have lost my interest at this point :( Even if I did get the cash I would have had second thoughts about going to a town on the outskirts of Albany with that much cash to a place I did not know.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i even called up the pasted owner of my viper and asked if he would accept a call from the seller to know I am not a crook and he would have a business transaction reference. He agreed and I told the seller this and declined to take advantage of my offer to talk to the past seller of my GTS

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all of that. Believe me...it is hard to conduct these kinds of transactions (with that kind of money) with people that you don't know or trust.

I was very lucky with my past experiences...sold my '95 RT, sight unseen, to a buyer in Penn., whom sent a cashier's check to me and completely trusted me to follow through (which of course, I did). And with the latest purchase of my '01, I was lucky enough to have another VCA member (thanks, Phil) act in my interest, check out the car for me and meet the owner before I sent the cashier's check. Even then, I was a noivous wreck, until I got the signed title in the mail. It can be very unnerving, and the bottom line is that if it doesn't feel right...don't do it. :nono:

Just be patient...your machine is out there somewhere. Yellow, of course. :headbang:

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, I completely agree it just did not feel right, but boy it was a heck of a deal IMO and I would have saved thousand on shipping plus I would have been able to personally inspect the car. I wish he was a VCA member, it was the first thing I asked, there is just a level of trust between members that is comforting. He even knew I was a viper owner which should have put him a ease a little bit. If I was to sell my GTS and a current viper owner or even past one(VCA member or not) wanted to buy I would have a much higher comfort level verses some person off the streets. Its like being a certified viper buyer and a badge saying yes I can buy your car...look i already have/had one

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if I would ever put that kind of headlight/taillight tint on a Viper. I've heard stories (I think on these forums) about how that tint really screws up the finish of the plastic head/tail lights and essentially destroys them. To each their own (and it does look cool), but I thought I remembered hearing it was bad news for keeping the plastic looking good.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done by Matt Chambers. He i sa member of the AL/TN club and if you want to talk to him, best to go to the Tail of the Dragon drive:

http://forums.viperclub.org/alabama-tennessee/643100-tail-dragon-june-3rd-weekend.html#post2953703

Here is what mine look like:

tail.jpg

101_2406.jpg

Man those are dark. Any problems seeing them at night? I've done several cars including my Viper but didn't go that dark. I just did my headlights and will probably remove or lighten it because I can't see **** at night and they're not dark at all. It will be a pain to remove since i put a few coats of clear over the tint. I'm planning on doing halo lighting so I guess the clearer the better.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my fronts (removable Lamin-X films), but didn't do the taillights. Not sure whether to keep them or not, but at least I can peel them off without any damage...

Attachments

• My Vipe.jpg
    My Vipe.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 16

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew, I completely agree it just did not feel right, but boy it was a heck of a deal IMO and I would have saved thousand on shipping plus I would have been able to personally inspect the car. I wish he was a VCA member, it was the first thing I asked, there is just a level of trust between members that is comforting. He even knew I was a viper owner which should have put him a ease a little bit. If I was to sell my GTS and a current viper owner or even past one(VCA member or not) wanted to buy I would have a much higher comfort level verses some person off the streets. Its like being a certified viper buyer and a badge saying yes I can buy your car...look i already have/had one

Why don't you just wire the money? I've done it several times. Sign the paperwork, go inspect the car, call the bank and approve the wire and then wait 3 or 4 hours until it hits his account. If the guy won't take a check from the bank I'd pass on the deal.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my fronts (removable Lamin-X films), but didn't do the taillights. Not sure whether to keep them or not, but at least I can peel them off without any damage...

I tried the film unsuccessfuly. How did you get it to coutour to the shape of the lens? Thanks, Sal

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the film unsuccessfuly. How did you get it to coutour to the shape of the lens? Thanks, Sal

Actually, I did it to my '95 RT and the '01 RT. With the first one, it didn't go so well, because I didn't follow directions :omg:. With the '01, I made sure that I cleaned the lens completely, and then sprayed them lightly with water just prior to sticking the films on. I didn't use any heat gun or anything, but they still turned out pretty good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth