Tire Flat Spots - Non Run Flats

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently added an HRE setup to my Viper 19's and 20's with Pirellis. My question is since the car will sit for periods of time during the winter when the weather is not agreable, should I worry about developing flat spots on the tires? I had a 911 with Pirellis and it developed flats spots quite quickly.

If there is a concern, what can i do to minimize it? Can I sit the car on something softer like rubber padding? I am sure someone makes something to rest the tires on to miminize this.

9384DSC02898-med.JPG

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have Pirellis on my car. I have the stock run-flats. I usually pump up the tires to about their max pressure for the winter. Another Viper owner suggested heavy rubber matts under the tires. Sometimes ranches will use "stable mats" for the horses for something softer to stand on. I have two 4 X 8 pieces my car sits on. No problems with flat spots so far. On any nice winter days I back the car out and then pull it in so that the tires do not rest on the same spot for about a week or two at a time.
Hope this helps

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also try to move the car every week or so. However the difference between run flats and the non run flat Pirelli's is substantial. The run flats are a much heavier, thicker tire which makes them prone to flatspotting. However the softer Pirellis in my experience may develope issues if I dont address it now.

I was thinking about getting these but they are quite expensive. I wonder is a heavy rubber mat would do just the same.

http://www.tirecradle.com/tcradle.htm

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Tire cadle works great

carpet helps

foam padding helps

higher air pressure helps

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads