Tire rotation for track tires on a non Viper car

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running Nitto NT01's on my track Mustang, 275/40/17's and same offset wheels all around. The Nitto's are not directional but do have an label on one side of the sidewall that states "OUTSIDE". When rotating tires, should they be rotated diagonally or front to back to get the most even wear out of them? This Mustang has a live axle on the rear.

Since they do have an preferred mounting of the shoulder to the "OUTSIDE", has anybody experimented with flipping the tire on the rim for more wear and how detrimental might that be to the performance?

Thanks,
George

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The are like that for a reason. the inner/outer tread block are different and have different purposes. If you're just going to tool around town is one thing, but on the track? I think you'd be asking for all kinds of handling issues

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flip them. no problem.
When they are new, mount them as designed. At half life, the tread depth aint gonna matter much anyway. the grooves are for water dispersement, not dry traction. The NT01 tread pattern has nothing to do with anything concerning dry track performance.
The tread rubber compound is the same across the tire so who cares.
The PSC, PS2, and the new Super Sport tires have a different compound on the outboard shoulder and should not be used inside out.
The proof in that NT01 fact is that they recommend shaving the tire for competition use anyway. -This is the removal of the 'tread pattern' that you are concerned about. Then the tire looks like an R6. (only has two grooves in it when the tire is shaved)
This info is on the Nitto website.
I have flipped my Kuhmo XS with no problems at half life. They also have in/out tread design, but the same rubber compound across the tread.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flip them. no problem.
When they are new, mount them as designed. At half life, the tread depth aint gonna matter much anyway. the grooves are for water dispersement, not dry traction. The NT01 tread pattern has nothing to do with anything concerning dry track performance.
The tread rubber compound is the same across the tire so who cares.
The PSC, PS2, and the new Super Sport tires have a different compound on the outboard shoulder and should not be used inside out.
The proof in that NT01 fact is that they recommend shaving the tire for competition use anyway. -This is the removal of the 'tread pattern' that you are concerned about. Then the tire looks like an R6. (only has two grooves in it when the tire is shaved)
This info is on the Nitto website.
I have flipped my Kuhmo XS with no problems at half life. They also have in/out tread design, but the same rubber compound across the tread.

Thanks Allan,

For just normal rotation, front to back or diagonally?

Cheers,
George

Reaction score
Does not matter what corners you switch to.

Side note some tires have a asymmetrical sidewall construction and flipping them can be a negative. I don't know about the Nitto though that would be a question for them.

Thanks Allan,

For just normal rotation, front to back or diagonally?

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does not matter what corners you switch to.

Side note some tires have a asymmetrical sidewall construction and flipping them can be a negative. I don't know about the Nitto though that would be a question for them.

Understood, I'll check into that. So far I'm really liking the NT01's, fairly predictable tire and handled 108 degree ambient temps two weeks ago without getting greasy, etc. The actual track temp was over 140 degrees when measured with my thermal scanner....it was hot:omg:

Thanks,
George

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point on the sidewall construction issue.............
I have mounted a few of the NT01s and looked them over real close. If there is any difference in/out, I'd be surprised.
I've seen tires with in/out sidewall differences, and it is somewhat apparent. (Eagle F1 Supercar in particular)

There isn't anything on Nitto's website that I have seen that discourages flipping the tire,.....and I have seen guys running them inside out at the track to double the life of the tires like I do. So.............................