Tire warm up question...OK so I'm naive!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire warm up question...OK so I\'m naive!

Just got some slicks for my car for the next drag. Up until now I just used the street tires and didn't have to "break-stand" to wamr them up.

Just so I don't break anything, what is the best way to warm up the tires. Do you drop the clutch at a certain RPM and then use your left foot to quickly tap down the break to keep the car from moving?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tire warm up question...OK so I\'m naive!

Patrick,
slicks(e.t. streets) do not require any break-in. They are shipped with the outer few thousands of an inch of rubber a harder compound to withstand handling and storage,protecting the soft compound underneath. One or two passes down the track should run that off of the tire. It is not noticable to the eye. Run tires at 14 psi(get a good gauge) You will have to lower tire pressure after each run as the pressure inside the tire increases from heat expansion as the tires get hot. 14 psi is important. You are running on an airport surface. this is not the correct surface for these tires and it may limit their lifespan as slicks normally are ran at the dragstrip which is actually a thin layer of rubber over concrete. The "bleaching" or water burning of the tires creates heat which does two important functions: 1, softens the compound enhancing the grip, 2, transfering the heat to the starting line which enhances the grip. When you see someone burning the hell out of a radial tire or slick for that matter on a road like surface, start laughing as they cant get the tire hot enough to put heat into the road surface, and are just peeling good rubber from the tires.

Burn out from a thin layer of water, drop the clutch with enough rpm to get the tires spinning in FIRST GEAR ONLY then left foot on the brake right foot on the gas until the tire starts to grab and push the car foward. Don't burn for excessive time or at too high an rpm that the tires can't start to grab and move the car.

THIS IS A PROCEDURE THAT TAKES PRACTICE. YOUR SLICKS NEED NO MORE THAN 10 SECONDS OF BURNOUT AT MAXIMUM!!!!!

Any further questions feel free to call or email.

tom

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Tire warm up question...OK so I\'m naive!

Or you could just install a line lock to not worry about the fancy footwork when doing your burnout!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave