Tires and aging

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of tires that I bought off of ebay with rims. They weren't too old at the time but I didn't trust them and upgraded to new ones to be safe. Glad I did because one of them had a plug in it where they fixed a flat. They have been sitting in my garage, (heated and air conditioned). Are they worth selling. Shipping costs so much today. Are they worth anything? Do they go bad just sitting there with age. Could make a glass table out of them. LOL:smirk:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As tires age they dry out and the rubber compound gets harder resulting in less grip. Different people have different standards for how long they keep around a set of tires regardless of the amount of tread remaing. Someone with high performance standards might call em trash after 2 years of being on the road. Someone who puttzes around on weekends at nowhere near the potential G-force limit might be fine with 15 year old tires. And all those in between.

What is the Make/Model/Size?
What is the date code on the sidewall?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front tires 275/35 ZR/18 There was a code DAA 81 06-6984-01 (Does this mean this tire was made in 06) or 01? THre was also a large E2 with 021541 Front tire

Back tire P345/30 ZR 19, DAA 40 06-7210-01

I bought these with the rims in 2009 and took them off because I was going to the event in Branson. Could have been 10. Anyway I was lucky enough to not have someting happen as I was going to a track when I first got them and got up over 165 and when I took off the tires one of them had a plug in it. When I bought the rims and tires the person took photos out in the sun and they didn't look like they had rash on them. Different story when I got them. That's why I took the tires off. They also said the tires were new. Some people have different business ethics. Goes back to your parents and how your taught, I hope the person who sold me the tires reads this.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Dom mentioned tires have a "born on" date stamped on each Michelin tire. It is a 4 digit number inside an oval, say the # is 2407 that means the tire was manufactured on the 24 week of 2007 etc. Not good to have tires on over 5years old :nono:

OP
OP
DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found and oval with 4402 1903 back tires 2202 Couldn't find the other on the front, # probably on the other side. So these are probably the original tires on the car it came from. Want to go drifting or burn them off in a parking lot? Maybe I'll make a work bench or table. Thanks By the way I did get a good deal on new tires from tire rack. Hit a coupon at the right time. It's great doing business with good honest people.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah don't try and sell them they are dangerous, at that age a tire breaks down on a molecular level.
Thanks. I got ripped. Guy told me tires were new. Made in 2001.:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:!!!!!! Oh well. Tread looks like brand new. Time to smokem!

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen tires advertised as 'new' with even manufacturer stickers still on the tread. In one instance I asked for the DOT date codes and the tires were 5 years old. Always confirm 'newness' with date codes!

OP
OP
DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I bought these was for the rims. I should have had them send only the rims, would have saved me money on shipping. Looks like they might end up as a table, I have a 4' glass that was for a coffee table. Might look pretty cool with a Sneaky Pete emblem in the middle. I'm an artist and I think it could look pretty good. Maybe one of you guys will give me an insane amount of money for it. LOL
Thanks for all the reply's, maybe one of these days our paths will cross. Until then Happy Trails.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That made me laugh. You could just as well have been describing me! :rolaugh:

You and me both brutha...........you and me both, I hit 55 next month :mad:

Thanks. I got ripped. Guy told me tires were new. Made in 2001.:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:!!!!!! Oh well. Tread looks like brand new. Time to smokem!

Sorry about that Tommy, this is one of the tigbits I picked up on this board over the last 13 years, it is a good thing to know before hand :headbang:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You and me both brutha...........you and me both, I hit 55 next month :mad:

Sorry about that Tommy, this is one of the tigbits I picked up on this board over the last 13 years, it is a good thing to know before hand :headbang:.
Everything else on the car is A-OK so I can count my blessings compared to some of the nightmares I have read, ie: H-balancer loose with ruined crank.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything else on the car is A-OK so I can count my blessings compared to some of the nightmares I have read, ie: H-balancer loose with ruined crank.

hey sybil,

don't worry about problems you don't have re: these cars (yes, yes, of course normal maint, inspections, etc.) because if you read here carefully, vipers are for the most part bullet proof. the well known issues by gen are really minor and if you are stock to common bolt on mods you can trust vipers to start and drive every time (at least like any other car). mine has been 99% reliable (i hope i don't jinx myself) and well worth every idiosyncrasy

shalom

:drive: