Too late for the Party ?

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am finally going to get serious about tuning my GTS buggy with its VEC II. I recently updated from true OEM to a free flow exhaust (bullets), step colder plugs, fresh air intake (filters/smooth tubes), and TNT nitrous (Texas Nitrous Technology). All good.

Prior to the above changes, my stock logs were surprising, lean for my taste at 13.4AFR at WOT. But that was reading off the OEM oxygen sensors, but I beleive they are narrow band (anyone confirm?). So my first step is to move over my UEGO wideband from my Grand National for tuning the GTS.

I am looking for owners/users that do thier own tuning, especially for N/A GEN IIs, and share knowledge and experience.

I have a working knowledge and plan to get serious about pulling out N/A horses from tuning alone; plus making the tunes safe for 100-200 TNT shots. I come with personal experiance tuning my LS6 and LS408 stroker motors (HP Tuners & EFI Live) and old time Grand National turbo motors....and how not to blow them up under pressure/juice. But I'll admit, this odd fire V-10 motor is a different animal. Crazy low WOT timing of 22-24 degrees and speed density; the GN and Vette all used a MAF. Ok. Dissappointed about the lack of personal tuner software, but for my purposes on the GTS, the VEC will work perfectly.

So I hope to be able to contribute to this forum and kick off more discussions on personal tuning. Just hope there is an interest for this info, and others that have knowledge to share. I have had little luck in finding posts that go into detail on individual tunes. But I have found great information on how to properly use the VEC, and its parameters thanks to DamnYankee.

Is it still the practice to upload tunes to Mediafire? I've logged in there and have not found a single tune.

I know I am a little late to the party.....so type up a reply and let me know your out there!

Rob
2002 GTS

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VEC tuning is pretty fun. My only gripe is that I wish it had the ability to do more closed-loop fuel management other than individual cylinder offsets plus the ability to bypass individual offsets during WOT/Boost conditions. My fear is that when I adjust individual offsets, especially cylinder # 9 and #10 which are around 60-80 miliseconds lean vs. the other 8 cylinders, that I will burn them up under boost. It seems to me that all offsets should be "zero'd" under boost when the issue of the short runner cylinder filling under 2000 rmp condition is eliminated. But "when" you get a ROE blower, you can deal with that. LOL !!! For your N/A tuning, you should be able to get pretty even fuel offsets from idle to WOT. Have fun and do take to heart all of Damn Yankee's tips. He's the MAN!!

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I hope the lack of replies and views is simply due to low traffic this deep into the webpage. And not because only a few people do their own tuning.

In any event, since I can't find other tunes to review and apparent lack of tune specific posting.....maybe because people do not want to be reprimanded for 'crappy' tunes?

So I'll lead by example and get some tunes posted up next weekend...and see how it goes. Hopefully that will reignite some activity for GEN II VEC tuning.

See you soon.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea. I was hoping that there would be some VEC tunes hung on a link somewhere where a guy could download a few different tunes based on a particular set-up. I guess with the $$$ folks are paying to get their rides dialed-in, they don't want to offer their tunes to the general Viper community. I can understand that, but it sure would be handy!!! I've got my 5 lb ROE tuned pretty good but now with the Water/Methanol, I'd like to see some guys timing offsets.

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea. I was hoping that there would be some VEC tunes hung on a link somewhere where a guy could download a few different tunes based on a particular set-up. I guess with the $$$ folks are paying to get their rides dialed-in, they don't want to offer their tunes to the general Viper community. I can understand that, but it sure would be handy!!! I've got my 5 lb ROE tuned pretty good but now with the Water/Methanol, I'd like to see some guys timing offsets.
Possible. And I don't have a problem with tuners/businesses not sharing specific tunes. It is their property and blood sweat and tears to get the tunes dialed in.

I am simply interested in what other DIYers have done. Changes they have made in the VEC and the effectiveness of changes as demonstrated in their before/after logs and dyno/stip runs.

This weekend, I'll try to get a free ftp site and load up my tunes up, and see if that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh