Touring the Rocky mountains

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS would be great for that trip. I drove my 2001 GTS cross country late last year. I hit all kinds of weather and the car performed great. I even managed 20+ miles per gallon. Don't hesitate to take it. It was great fun.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="6">Viper is ULTIMATE CAR for this!</FONT s>

I have driven extensively in Nevada seeking out mountain pass roads and there is NOTHING like going high up in the mountains with a POWERFUL CAR!

Don't forget you lose HP with altitude and at 9000 ft you will be amazed at how much power you have lost (about 30%).

And SLOW CAMPERS ARE THE ENTERTAINMENT!

There is NOTHING MORE EXHILARATING that using 2nd and full throttle to pass! This adds challenge and enjoyment to the trip that CANNOT BE HAD WITH AN ORDINARY CAR!

The MOST EXCITING THING I EVER DID IN A VIPER (and I have been to track events and did the Virginia City Hill Climb) was when I was behind 3 tractor trailers and 2 hot rods that were coming off a plain and heading into a NV windy mountain pass. There was a straight that was 1/8 mile and I pulled out and DID THEM ALL. Of course, I was in Bad Viper and his exhaust, which is deafening, bounced off the truck trailers and frankly, even scared me!

I don't know what kind of roads you are looking for, but I would suggest getting Topo Gazetteers or DeLorme 3D Topo and pick out 2lane windy roads and stay off interstates. If you like that, you may find yourself looking for "tertiary" roads which are even more challenging - just beware that some state highways with route numbers can actually be DIRT!

In particular, Route 4 from CA to NV, for approx 50 miles about Ebbetts Pass turns into a 12 FOOT WIDE "DRIVEWAY!" VERY windy with tiny straights between blind corners. Nice pavement though!

Perhaps my NUMBER ONE INTEREST is to GRAND TOUR the mountains with Vipers or similar cars.

Some of the sights are simply indescribable.

Oh, and you must drive up Pike's Peak even if it is dirt!

(Maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask this question to...)