Toyos or PS2

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is best for "spirited" street driving only, no track? I don't want rock debris damage either (wheel wells, sills, undercarriage). Looking at Toyo R888 set or VPA has a good deal for the PS2s. The price difference is about 500 so I won't spring the extra for the PS2s if not worth it.

Thanks!:2tu:

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R888 are semi-slicks. Not good if you often drive in the rain or want to get a lot of miles out of your tires.

But if you don't mind getting only 5k miles off your tires, than the toyo's may be an option. I've had a set of PS, PS2's and now R888s.

When the R888's are cold they're about as good as PS2's once they're heated up they're much sticker. My new concern is that I may break something in my drivetrain when I launch hard--I never worried about that with ps2s.

Another downside of a track-tire, besides limited lifetime, is that they are less predictable at the limits. The R888's give you a bit of warning before they let go, but it's not much. Personally I'd feel safer tracking with PS2's, even if they are a bit slower.

I've driven in wet weather with my R888's and they weren't bad at all, but there's not much tread so I wouldn't want to be caught in heavy rain with them.

As for kicking up rock debris, that will happen more with softer compounds. The R888 will be worse than the PS2's, but it's not as if the PS2's won't be guilty of this as well.

Personally I'm going to stick to R888's on my Viper, I only put on about 1200 miles a year so I doubt I'll be replacing them any more often than the Pilot Sports which seem to last me about 5 years before they're so hard that my car performs like a prius.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, it's what I figured. I have another car I run drag radials on the street just for traction.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is best for "spirited" street driving only, no track? I don't want rock debris damage either (wheel wells, sills, undercarriage). Looking at Toyo R888 set or VPA has a good deal for the PS2s. The price difference is about 500 so I won't spring the extra for the PS2s if not worth it.

Thanks!:2tu:

Who do you deal for tires on VPA? I have a wholesale account with tirerack just want to compare prices. thank you

PS Also heard a lot of good stuff about PS2 tires

OP
OP
R

realityeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who do you deal for tires on VPA? I have a wholesale account with tirerack just want to compare prices. thank you

PS Also heard a lot of good stuff about PS2 tires

Just on the website the PS2s for stock 99 viper wheels are $1695, free shipping. I can get the Toyos for about 1250 with shipping.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R888 are semi-slicks. Not good if you often drive in the rain or want to get a lot of miles out of your tires.

But if you don't mind getting only 5k miles off your tires, than the toyo's may be an option. I've had a set of PS, PS2's and now R888s.

When the R888's are cold they're about as good as PS2's once they're heated up they're much sticker. My new concern is that I may break something in my drivetrain when I launch hard--I never worried about that with ps2s.

Another downside of a track-tire, besides limited lifetime, is that they are less predictable at the limits. The R888's give you a bit of warning before they let go, but it's not much. Personally I'd feel safer tracking with PS2's, even if they are a bit slower.

I've driven in wet weather with my R888's and they weren't bad at all, but there's not much tread so I wouldn't want to be caught in heavy rain with them.

As for kicking up rock debris, that will happen more with softer compounds. The R888 will be worse than the PS2's, but it's not as if the PS2's won't be guilty of this as well.

Personally I'm going to stick to R888's on my Viper, I only put on about 1200 miles a year so I doubt I'll be replacing them any more often than the Pilot Sports which seem to last me about 5 years before they're so hard that my car performs like a prius.

Any idea on BF Goodrich tires? I can buy them for $1060 plus shipping. PS2 Mihelin came to $1692 shipped. Same deal. Tahnk you

Oilman1934

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the toyo ra1 they have changed the car, it sticks like glue the two down side would be temps and rain both condition my car never will see anyway.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea on BF Goodrich tires? I can buy them for $1060 plus shipping. PS2 Mihelin came to $1692 shipped. Same deal. Tahnk you

They have cool looking tread, that's all I know. They're a regular compound like PS2's so they'll last a while, but you'll likely be giving up performance compared to the PS2s. With the toyo's you get more performance but limited life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave