Track day question?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems over here now in the UK many of us are finding it harder and harder to get on track due to Decibel limits :( Most tracks now seem to have a limit of 105db. Im currently fully decatted and my db limit is around 128db So the only fun I now have is on the open road :( Also looking at some of your track day prices ours are nearly 3 times more expensive!

Do you guys have the same problem?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
128db??? How is that being measured and what frequency are they measuring in? Most tracks here measure 50ft. from the track @ a sound booth and use A frequency. One track I've run on has a 103 limit and I had no issues. I have headers, no cats, and a Mopar 3". I have no idea how you are getting the 128 #. My buddies Lambo SL with test pipes and LOC exhaust hits 106-107. The GT3 Cups cars that have run with us measure about 106-107 as well. I'm guessing either they measure differently over there of you have been measured incorrectly. There are free apps for your phone that you can download and get a decently accurate reading. I coordinate tracks days over here and we usually only try to run tracks with no sound limits which most don't have in the SE.

Here's what 106-107 sounds like. Not many cars, especially street cars are louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHVdMJniplU&feature=player_profilepage

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how they measure @ the tracks??? There's no way. No cars would ever be able to run except for Prius's. Call a local track you're interested in running @ and ask detailed questions. How loud @ how many feet using what frequency weighting?

That was a loudest exhaust competition, NOT how they measure @ the tracks

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been tested at Goodwood and at Castle Combe and it is done exactly that way, they stand behind the car and take a db reading :( There are NO drive buys :(

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is bogus method of measuring sound. Very few cars could pass that test.
Laguna Seca has a sound limit of 92db. However, If I understand it properly, the microphone is 50ft from track edge. From what I have read, many tracks in the US have the microphone placed 100ft away.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a bunch of f'ing crap! If it's too noisy, don't build there or don't live there. It's like these morons around here who buy a house next to the airport and then ***** about the noise. Duh!!!!!!

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Exactly that. I got cross the other week (240mile trip), I was invited to a performance car action day (which was mainly for Euro cars and their little clubs) They used pictures of my car in their advertising campaign, yet when I asked if they wanted me to do a couple of laps as a 'demo for the crowd' they said no your car is too loud :( So I got in the car and drove back home :( It was good to catch up with a couple of friends from the west of the country but really I was not very happy :(

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad very Sad. I could go on and on about the mindset that promotes this type of testing (at the muffler)....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave