Track Days...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have never run with them. "Streets of Willow" is not a Viper friendly track as you will spend most of the time in 2nd and 3rd gear as it is a very tight course. "Big Willow" is a Viper friendly track where the car can stretch its legs. Try this group. http://www.ncracing.org/events.php There will be a nice group of Vipers at the March 30-31st event at Buttonwillow. Buttonwillow is a 3.1 mile track that is safe for beginners and has good facilties. There is a large group of So Cal Vipers that will be at "Big Willow" the Sat & Sun.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great thanks so much for the info

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zee, don't know that group but Redsled is correct about the streets of Willow, you want to run big Willow instead. BTW, the SoCal club will be there this weekend, 50 plus vipers, sponsored by Performance speciality Team (Dan Cragin). You can see details on the event on the SoCal board but there aren't any open slots left to drive. You need to check out the SoCal board, "Sidewinders" Track Events, a number of events on the calendar. For the most part Speedventures is the track organization we run with. They have multiple events during the year at Willow, CA Speedway, Buttonwillow, plus NorCal tracks. Hope to see you out there. Mike

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zee, don't know that group but Redsled is correct about the streets of Willow, you want to run big Willow instead. BTW, the SoCal club will be there this weekend, 50 plus vipers, sponsored by Performance speciality Team (Dan Cragin). You can see details on the event on the SoCal board but there aren't any open slots left to drive. You need to check out the SoCal board, "Sidewinders" Track Events, a number of events on the calendar. For the most part Speedventures is the track organization we run with. They have multiple events during the year at Willow, CA Speedway, Buttonwillow, plus NorCal tracks. Hope to see you out there. Mike

I agree with you and Jonathan (Redsled) streets **** for Vipers, all the other tracks listed are great, Speedventures is a great group to run with.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I am a bit concerned with being on the track with other cars. Is there a gap between cars? I really would feel more comfortable driving around without anyone behind or in front of me the first few times out...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I am a bit concerned with being on the track with other cars. Is there a gap between cars? I really would feel more comfortable driving around without anyone behind or in front of me the first few times out...

Only way to get an empty track is to rent it yourself with some buddies. Start in the novice group with an instructor in the passenger seat. Events like Speedventures support new drivers that way. Won't have a completly open track but it is very safe.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most performance driving events separate drivers into different groups, depending on their experience and skills.

The beginning groups usually allow you to go out with an instructor to show you the ropes, they will talk you around the track, keep you safe, and get you some confidence. Usually nobody is allowed to pass others except in certain circumstances.

Next group allows more passing, and in more areas. Usually only when a signal to pass is given by the slower driver.

Faster groups allow for more passings, and the speeds are usually ramped up pretty good.

Race groups allow passing whenever it is safe to do so. No rubbing is allowed, but can happen.

You might want to come out to Willow Springs this Saturday to watch how the club organizes events, and get some idea of how these things work.

While you do not need to drive, you can sit in at the drivers meetings, and learn the race track etiquitte.

Should only cost you $10 track entrance fee and you will have most of your questions answered by a bunch of friendly ViperNation members.

See you at the track.

OP
OP
Z

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just saw a post the Extreme Speed is having an "Attack on Willow Springs II" on the alley, the HPDE event is at Big Willow this time.

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else planning on attending this event?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey REDTANRT10...
I hope to take you up on your invitation very soon. The new two car trailer will be delivered this month.
With two drivers alternating the truck/trailer driving duties, a lot of more tracks will be accessible....

I don't know how much longer I can watch your track videos in the desert when I look outside at ice, snow and
single digits....:crazy2:

Hope you have fun this weekend Mike. Be safe and keep the shiny side up....:headbang:

I'll be looking for the vids...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey REDTANRT10...
I hope to take you up on your invitation very soon. The new two car trailer will be delivered this month.
With two drivers alternating the truck/trailer driving duties, a lot of more tracks will be accessible....

I don't know how much longer I can watch your track videos in the desert when I look outside at ice, snow and
single digits....:crazy2:

Hope you have fun this weekend Mike. Be safe and keep the shiny side up....:headbang:

I'll be looking for the vids...

Treesnake,

Sounds like you got a great set up coming! Yeah, You need to get out of the cold and keep tracking. Dan Cragin has his new shop in LA and can store and/or service out here for you. We had a great event at Willow yesterday, Ralph and Dick brought two new SRT's, Bernie was there, a couple of Comp Coupes and a couple of X's along with a bunch of nice vipers. Weather started cold but turned out great. I decided to come home last night since there was rain forecasted. I got some good video that I'll post later today on the Dan Cragin, Speciality Performance thread. Lot's of nice viper's, my favorite was chasing an older red GTSR clone that shot flames out the side every time he lifted.

Look forward to seeing you drive pout here! Mike

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake,

Sounds like you got a great set up coming! Yeah, You need to get out of the cold and keep tracking. Dan Cragin has his new shop in LA and can store and/or service out here for you. We had a great event at Willow yesterday, Ralph and Dick brought two new SRT's, Bernie was there, a couple of Comp Coupes and a couple of X's along with a bunch of nice vipers. Weather started cold but turned out great. I decided to come home last night since there was rain forecasted. I got some good video that I'll post later today on the Dan Cragin, Speciality Performance thread. Lot's of nice viper's, my favorite was chasing an older red GTSR clone that shot flames out the side every time he lifted.

Hell yeah post up that video. I spoke to Jonathan (Redsled) who was out there and he said a good time was had by all...........except 2 people who had mishaps.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake,

Hey Mike, yep that was me. Looking forward to the video. :)
-Jonathan

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang! Makes me miss the track:(

What the guys said, most organized DE events have run groups based on experience and with classroom time, braking exercises and an instructor.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Zee,

Where are you located? In So Cal? If so, as a new Viper owner, the first thing to do is come to a few of our events and join our club. For more info, go to our So Cal website.

We have a number of driving / track events coming up that aren't yet posted.

One of our guys favorites is our Car Control Clinic. This year, in addition to the normal Auto X and Figure 8 pad with instruction, we're going to try and set up a drifting station. Likely, this event will be held at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana. This one is a members only event as the club picks up most of the cost for running the event.

A track event not to be missed will be our group event at Laguna Seca this summer. This special weekend has an increased "Sound Limit", which should accommodate any Viper with mufflers.

See you at the track,

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave