trends I have seen on this forum...

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my short time here I have noticed several trends all of which are great but there are a couple that curiosity is getting the best of me.

I see many owners with multiple cars, owners that have other cars on their wish list, and cars that are spoken highly of in context.

The recurring car I see is the ford GT. it seems that car is very well respected and even sought after on here. Yet corvettes, lambos, ferraris and the like get very little air time. That is fine with me but what is it that makes the ford GT a worthy car on this forum? I like them but never gave them a second thought before seeing many of them on here. Is it the domestic build? Nostalgic body style? Pure power? Just looking for some insight on that.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my short time here I have noticed several trends all of which are great but there are a couple that curiosity is getting the best of me.

I see many owners with multiple cars, owners that have other cars on their wish list, and cars that are spoken highly of in context.

The recurring car I see is the ford GT. it seems that car is very well respected and even sought after on here. Yet corvettes, lambos, ferraris and the like get very little air time. That is fine with me but what is it that makes the ford GT a worthy car on this forum? I like them but never gave them a second thought before seeing many of them on here. Is it the domestic build? Nostalgic body style? Pure power? Just looking for some insight on that.

Yep, you nailed it on all ccounts :usa: :drive:I hope there's an FGT in my future :headbang:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unlike other cars they take to mods very well and can increase performance by a lot.

Bruce

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT is a supercar that is just beyond reach for many Viper Owners.

Because they have held their value they sell for about double Vipers price for the same age.

Since they are not worth double a Viper and hold only a tiny edge in performance, they are desired, but people have a hard time justifying the price.

Kind of like Vette owners that really want Vipers, but are hesitant to write the check.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thread.

Kind of like Vette owners that really want Vipers, but are hesitant to write the check.

+1

Here's the serquence I have seen/lived so far:

Crawl->Walk->Bike->Drive->Camaro/Mustang->Vette->Viper->GT/Lambo/Ferrari

Items in bold are my next step (hopefully!) in the merry-go-round/circus that we call life!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only modern sports car that has gone up in value. They don't depreciate.
When I was thinking about one, they were about 150K for a used 3-5K mileage one.
Same car now is 170K. Or more. And not easy to find.
And lets not forget MSRP was 140K or less?

Here on Long Island there are a million Lambos and Ferrari's and countless Porsches.
Rarely see a FGT anymore.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid-engine cars are just plain slick... The FGT is a tribute to the GT40 which smoked the Ferrari's at Le Mans. It's also more rare, exotic and exclusive than a Viper and that's something that most Viper owners appreciate. They really need to start building them again.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The one problem with the Ford GT is the gauges. They have a way of burning out for a variety of reasons, the most common being a low battery on start up. At least that is the most common theory. The problem is the price--tachs and speedo gauges can run 3K/gauge with no assurance that they wont just burn out again. With only 4300 total made, the incentive for making aftermarket parts is very low because the resale volume would be so low. The car is great but I doubt it's worth 2 Vipers. The ACR Viper is faster as well.--Dave

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The one problem with the Ford GT is the gauges. They have a way of burning out for a variety of reasons, the most common being a low battery on start up. At least that is the most common theory. The problem is the price--tachs and speedo gauges can run 3K/gauge with no assurance that they wont just burn out again. With only 4300 total made, the incentive for making aftermarket parts is very low because the resale volume would be so low. The car is great but I doubt it's worth 2 Vipers. The ACR Viper is faster as well.--Dave

I agree with Dave on this one, I even feel it with the Viper (Gen 1 anyway) that b/c resale of aftermarket parts are too low b/c of the low production numbers you have very limited options. Guess having exclusivity and a wide array of aftermarket parts for reasonable prices is like having your cake and eating it too :( I love the FGT, but the Viper has always been my first true love :D

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed a few 'trends' as well....

Long time viper types walking away. (or being pushed out).

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The one problem with the Ford GT is the gauges. They have
a way of burning out for a variety of reasons, the most
common being a low battery on start up.

Well bloody hell then... I was thinking about saving up for
one, but if this is true....

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, I for one love the GT because it
doesn't have the pretentious air that Lambo/Ferrari has.
I cannot help but feel that Ferrari owners (for instance) only
buy a Ferrari because it's a Ferrari - they don't care what
kind of nature or performance it possesses.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT became an instant American Icon when it hit the marketplace.

They are spectacular looking and performing Fords.

Biggest problem with them is that they are undrivable. Only low mileage ones command the higher prices, and their value drops quickly if the owners enjoy them.

Due to their collector value, and difficulty in getting repair parts, they tend to be driven and enjoyed little.

Vipers, on the other hand have a dedicated group of higher mileage drivers that enjoy the heck out of them.

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not why they build ships"

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul have you looked at the "whats your mileage" thread?
Viper owners don't exactly pile on the miles either. What's the average, 2-3 K a year?
And what do the "high mileage" GT's sell for, original MSRP? Wow what a hit.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive a GT-- you will be hooked.

Paul. Not sure where you are getting your GT info. I follow the market and have bought several. Sure, like any car the lower the miles the better, but high mile cars do extremely well. Even salvage GTs often go in the 120s. As for parts there are a number of excellent sources and it has not been an issue except maybe in price.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the other nice thing about the FGT is that the maintenance costs are more like a Viper than say a Ferrari or Lambo.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99.9 % of people want one because it's an awsome looking car. Myself included. Too bad the government won't let Ford build it anymore.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting my GT against the F Scuderia,have to say that GT quality workmanship (i.e Welding,use of sealant between cracks,) is superior. At the time of the FGT build,worker pride -can do was very high. I have not had any issues with the gauges and it is a very easy car to work on.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting my GT against the F Scuderia,have to say that GT quality workmanship (i.e Welding,use of sealant between cracks,) is superior. At the time of the FGT build,worker pride -can do was very high. I have not had any issues with the gauges and it is a very easy car to work on.

What else needs to be said?
Knock out exotic looks on par with ANY supercar, great performance easily and affordably upgradable and top shelf build quality.
Goes UP in value every passing year.
Please name me another car by any manufacturer that does these three things?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62