Two-Tone Viper - A new look

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently answered a Craig's list ad for a 3 piece hardtop for my Black 1999 Viper RT-10. When I went to check it out the top was exactly as described and included the carrying cases. I picked it up for about 1/3 the new price and have installed it on my Viper. The only drawback with the purchase was that the 3 piece top came off a red Viper. I installed it on my black RT-10 and decided that I would hold off on painting it to match my carfor a while. I actually like the look, but perhaps the world isn't ready for a two-tone Viper.

After I looked at it and drove it I began to wonder...What if? What if....red is as fast a color as black? Could the addition of a red top on my fast black car make it even faster?? Would it be fast black plus fast red or even fast black times fast red. I haven't done the math, but it is fun to contemplate what can happen.

Actually I will probably paint the top this winter, but it is fun to see how it goes over with other Viper owners.

I have attached some photos for your examination.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am kinda partial to redheads, so..........................

Has a Brit look to it, as it was common to see Triumphs, MGs , etc. back in the day with different colored hardtops.

What the heck.......enjoy!

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finding the proper words for this abomination and staying with in the rules can get difficult.

Paint it ASAP and hopefully none of your friends will bring this up when they are drunk and need a good laugh.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I'm probably the exception but I like it red. Maybe some red stripes would complete the package. Try photoshopping some red stripes on it. I say keep it red for now.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be better if there were red somewhere else on the car. Stripes spring to mind. Otherwise it looks like a Texas lovebug:

Last edited:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I'm probably the exception but I like it red. Maybe some red stripes would complete the package. Try photoshopping some red stripes on it. I say keep it red for now.

I like the red also....its different and if you get tired of the color can always paint it black at a later time...

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the red but would like it even better if the sport cap, cowl, and door stanchions were red as well.

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG Rich! It's FrankenViper! :omg:

I could certainly see adding a black top to any other color (of course), but you need to get some Krylon, quick! :crazy2:

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks better in person and I happen to know he has a red fascia in his garage and I have a red hood in mine that we talked about when I saw him last... maybe it is slowly changing color like the new hot wheels Viper that changes color from yellow to orange in different color water.
Of course, since it is mostly black it is still fast!

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just paint the two outside sections black and then run a red stripe down the center of the car to match.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
paint it black and stop trickin yourself that it looks good!!:nono:

Two R/Ts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently answered a Craig's list ad for a 3 piece hardtop for my Black 1999 Viper RT-10. When I went to check it out the top was exactly as described and included the carrying cases. I picked it up for about 1/3 the new price and have installed it on my Viper. The only drawback with the purchase was that the 3 piece top came off a red Viper. I installed it on my black RT-10 and decided that I would hold off on painting it to match my carfor a while. I actually like the look, but perhaps the world isn't ready for a two-tone Viper.

After I looked at it and drove it I began to wonder...What if? What if....red is as fast a color as black? Could the addition of a red top on my fast black car make it even faster?? Would it be fast black plus fast red or even fast black times fast red. I haven't done the math, but it is fun to contemplate what can happen.

Actually I will probably paint the top this winter, but it is fun to see how it goes over with other Viper owners.

I have attached some photos for your examination.

How's the headroom? Will in fit into the trunk? Paint it Black. LOL:drive:

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO...

It makes what originally looks like a "badly fitting toupe" into an even "badlier fitting toupe"! Paint it black ASAP!

I guess that's why I've always been more partial to coupes!

:drive:

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the radio commentator Paul Harvey said "Here is the rest of the story" (of the infamous two tone Viper). I enjoyed the comments from the Viper world and I was able to have some fun with my red top on my black RT-10. It was called the "red-headed stepchild" resulting from a black and a red Viper hanging out together.

You can check out some shots of it at an exotic car meet in Redmond where it had 6 other Vipers to keep it company. Just go to the Washington VCA site and click on the photos they have provided.

I finally got some time to get my spray gun out and I painted it black to match the rest of the car. I agree that is is much nicer looking now. I really have gotten to like the look of the aftermarket 3 piece top. It sits nice and low and makes the car look a lot lower and sleeker. It is quite an ingenious design and will make traveling a lot nicer as it takes up a whole lot less space in the trunk than the soft top. If you are tall it may need a seat lowering kit as it it a bit lower than the soft top or original hardtop.

Attachments

• PICT0136.jpg
    PICT0136.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0137.jpg
    PICT0137.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0138.jpg
    PICT0138.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PICT0139.jpg
    PICT0139.jpg