UH OH....HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS THOUGHT ABOUT THIS>>>

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the last viper i had was a yellow 01 rt10. i frequently went to my local dragstrip and was allowed to run even though i had a convertible. the rules of this track are no convertibles without rollbars. for some reason alot of track officials think the rt10 becasue of its targa top look has an integral rollbar in it. i do not know if it indeed does but i doubt it. needless to say i have gone to 4 separate tracks where they turned away mustang verts and vette verts and allowed me to run.

i guess my point is what is going to happen with the srt10. will i have to install a roll cage in it just to dragstrip it. what about viper days or other sanctioned races that strictly prohibit verts unlewss they have rollcages or such.

just a thought

george

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are your option: If you want to run an SRT10 at any track, get a roll-bar or put on the hard top option that will come out about six month's after production starts. If you really want to race, buy a Comp Coupe, that is why they are building it!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really have to voice my disagreement with those who say "if you wanna race, buy a Comp. Coupe!"

One of the biggest things about the VCA is we are not a group of WAXERS, we're RACERS! The SRT-10 does ABSOLUTELY NOT fulfill the need for those who want a race car. And neither does the competition coupe!

There is HUGE demand for a car that can compete in drag racing, and road course racing, while still being street legal. The answer of "well if you wanna race, buy a Comp. Coupe" is insane, because most of us can't even hope to be "allowed" to buy one, AND they are ALL spoken for already, AND they can't even be driven on the street. So the option is have a car that can't really be raced, or have one that can only be raced. There is no middle ground!

Steve, I am not coming down on you at all - I am just pointing out that there is a HUGE need for a GTS version of this car.

I will anxiously await the hardtop for the SRT - and by god Dodge, PLEASE make it follow the lines of the GTS/R! And make the price REASONABLE! And give the guys/gals who bought 2003's a discount or something, k?
smile.gif
It will probably be something like a $4k option on the SRT, but I bet replacement cost will be something like $10k from the dealer. Let us original buyers get one for $4k also, PLEASE!
smile.gif

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I don't think that you could have summarized my thoughts any more succinctly! The GTS version of this car has to be styled like the GTS/R concept; that is an incredible looking vehicle. Dodge NEEDS to build that car... Thanks for the great post.
Regards,
Clint

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
. If you really want to race, buy a Comp Coupe, that is why they are building it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even though I'm not buying a SRT/10, you must be kidding about that comment... right???

Gerald

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the "sport bar" on the current RT/10 is NOT a real roll bar. In fact, it may even be stated somewhere on the car itself (possible where the door closes???)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a warning label on the R/T 10 stating that the sport bar is NOT a roll bar, and to drive the car accordingly.

From the manual, there is an underlying steel bar under the sports cap, so there is some rollover support, along with the windshield frame.

I'm happy that most tracks allow the R/T10 to run without an a full rollbar, and I'd guess that most will also allow the SRT 10 to run as well with it's robust looking roll hoops.

I think that it's goofy to state that the current Vipers, and upcoming Vipers aren't capable as racecars.
The closer that a road car gets to a race car the more compromises that are made for drivability and street use.

I think that the Vipers are some of the closest street cars to be able to race right off the showroom floor. Especially the ACR model.

Even the R/T10 models only require a roll bar and 5 point belts to be ready to race at most places.

That's a small price to pay.

-Dean.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brendan,

I have heard that the "hoop" in the RT/10 WILL support the vehicle in a rollover in MOST circumstances, as there are some pretty heavy structural members in there. HOWEVER, it is NOT rated to do so, and is not a "roll bar" that is sanctioned for racing events.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I think what the guys are saying is we want to race our street cars. I don't think there is a very large percentage of us that could justify a race only car. Especially if we could not bear to part with our Gen 2's. The comp. coupe is beautiful but I would much prefer a street GTS that I could race occaisionally.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike you actually did come down on Steve. He stated that if you plan on racing an SRT-10 than go out and get a rollbar. Be it an old RT-10, GTS or the SRT-10 you would be required to have a rollbar/cage once you go faster than 12 sec in the quarter. A roof over your head will not make a differance with the snactioning body. Now if you are looking at road racing than some groups don't allow roadsters at all. You will either have to have a hard roof or you can plead your case once you install a rollbar which extends at a min. 2" above your Helmeted head. Now if none of these answers apeal to you than there are two more suggestions. It's all a matter of money though.

Steve rightfully suggested that if you plan on racing than give the Comp Coupe a look. You stated incorectly when you said they are all sold out. True, the Series 1 cars are all spoken for but keep your eyes peeled for a Series 2 announcement. There will be another run of cars which follows the Series 1. And probably a 3rd and possibly a 4th run. The requirements for purchase may also change but be forwarned that it was never intended to be a street car.

Now for the cheap way out of your dilema. Pull 2 spark plug wires. I doubt that you will run under 12 sec. Problem solved.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

This sounds like a great opportunity for our fine aftermarket suppliers to develop a rollbar for the SRT.

With any luck, maybe it could be easy to install/remove, and be a slick "hidden" install! I don't know what mods will be developed for the SRT, but the rollbar sounds great for the weekend warrior if well made.

Thanks,

Jim

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, my comment was based on racing. There was no mention of a "street car" racer, so I replied as such.

Can you buy a Comp Coupe? YES. All you have to do is get a sanctioned competition license. This is about one weekend of effort on your part.

Is the Comp Coupe an alternative to a GTS? NO. But there is NO GTS slated for any future production at this time.

So here I go again. If you want a bad asp street car, buy your SRT/10 and have fun. You can't blame the manufacturer for making this car so fast that it is not allowed on a track without YOU meeting the necessary safety requirements of whatever racing application you desire to participate in. They have provided you a version that does meet these requirements, and then some. BTW, it is against the law for a manufacturer to sell a STREET car with a roll-bar in it anyway. So either you have to add it on, slow up your car, or buy a racing version that fits your needs.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,

What I meant was that I was making the point that there absolutely IS a need for a GTS. I hear everything Steve is saying and I agree with him - but "well if you wanna race, there is the Comp. Coupe!" is NOT an adequate solution for 99.9% of us. I know he is just telling it like it is, my point is that I know it's not HIS fault, but I just want to bring it up so DODGE will see the need for a GTS - beyond the "I like coupes better" idea. There may be a "second run" of Comp. Coupes, but I'm honestly not intersted in a $250k racetrack only car. IF it could be converted to be street legal, I would buy one and race it, but it seems like Dodge wants these cars to live on the track, which is not want I want to do. I want to compete in the regional points series for street cars at my dragstrip - can't do that with the SRT or the Comp. Coupe! Also, regarding your statement that "there is no difference if there is a roof over your head!" is simply NOT true. I've run plenty of 11 second 1/4 miles at my track, and unless I go 11.50 or below, I need NOTHING beyond what is stock. They are flexible and allow RT/10's to run to 12.00 without modification. However, for a convertible (the SRT is one, the RT/10 is not) you cannot go below 13.00. So, convertibles are NO WAY the same as coupes for most types of racing.

Steve,

I hear what you're saying, and as I said I'm not blaming you or Dodge for the SRT - I'm ECSTATIC that I can have a full convertible that will run in the 11's! I'm just saying I want to add my voice to the group that wants a GTS version too. My point is simply that the SRT cannot replace the GTS in all ways. It will never be as good of a racer as the GTS was because it would need extensive modification to race, which most aren't going to do. I know there are no plans for a GTS - it would just be nice if there were
smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I completely understand what you are saying. But you might want to remember that the Comp Coupe is $100,000, not $250,000, and that is a complete car. It would cost you 20-40,000 more to take a stock Viper and get it up to these specs.

As for the GTS, I can't agree more. They need to have one. At this point there is no reason for them to build a fixed top street version, especially if the only reason being given is so it can go to a track! That is not a reason a manufacture is going to use to build a street car. All they say to that reasoning is "here is your fixed top car for the track, a Competition Coupe". But to think that Dodge is going to build a "street car" so we can go racing, is not something they will ever use as motivation. If anything this would be a deterrent.

Lets ask this question? How does Dodge benefit from building a GTS Viper so someone can go racing? The only thing I can think of is to provide a much more imposing look into a world class sports car. That is the only reason Dodge would have at this tie to consider a GTS.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you want a GTS, give them a reason to make one. But using the "racing" reason is only going to make matters worse, because it is not a logical one to ask, when they are already providing a solution for that particular dilemma.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Good points... as for "why build a GTS" - I guess the only reason would be because a lot of people want one. I believe part of the original reason to build a GTS was so that the Viper could participate in racing events - but if they are selling the Comp. Coupe now to do that, then there isn't much reason to build a GTS for that reason. I guess we're at the mercy of Dodge on this one.

You said the Comp. Coupe was $100k... i did not know that. I honestly thought it was $250k. I also thought Dodge was only selling 25 of them and you had to apply (with a $20k deposit) to even be allowed to buy one. I am getting my SCCA license this year, and some of the guys in our club will be running the One Lap Of America (although I don't think the C.C. would be legal for that), and a few other racing events next year. If the car is $100k, and I have the ability to buy one, then I just might be interested in buying one of these suckers, assuming Dodge makes more and opens the program up to more people to let folks buy 'em.

&lt;EDIT - shouldn't have said that!&gt;

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, they are producing 25-30 this year and will be taking orders for "series II" in the near future, which should spawn another 25-30 cars. And yes, if you have a competition license, you meet the minimal requirement.

Thanks Mike!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I was mostly kidding... but I'll edit that just to be sure. The idea would be to make the car legal for the One Lap Of America - but that requires you drive between events, have 4 lights up front, a fuel cell, DOT tires, etc. Let's just say it would be more correct to say that I would not want to be arrested for anything OBVIOUS (like, no lights) on the way to the racetrack
smile.gif
- I'm not intending to make a street car out of a racecar.

This car would be flogged and flogged regularly - on the track (dragstrip as well as racetrack).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave