Upcoming track (driver's training) events

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling all roadcourse drivers.... :drive:

It sounded like both at the planning meeting and at the monthly dinner there was interest in attending a couple of open track (driver's training) events.

Here are a few good ones that are on my to do list (and at least one other Viper and/or 911 TwinTurbo are planning on attending) at Portland International Raceway. I am finalizing a couple of items for the extended memorial day weekend with two events and plan on being at these venues with some tools, some spare brake parts & fluids and even a car trailer.

1) Lotus Club
You must be registered for see images
Friday, May 22 2009, 8:00am - 5:00pm
<also Drag racing from 6-11 pm>

2) Porsche Club
Tuesday, May 26 2009, 8:00am - 5:00pm
3) Rose City Corvette Club
Monday, August 03 2009, 8:00am - 5:00pm
We will likely be adding a few more to our schedule between May and August but wanted to encourage people now to plan on joining us at the Vette day, it is well run and you will get in a run group with cars that won't be holding you up by doing 90 down the straights. :2tu:

The link to PIR and to find out more information about these events is at:
Portland Raceway - Official Home Page - Events this week at PIR

Don't forget your helmet :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All the CASCADE EVENTS are open, (FRIDAYS) and are low $$ events

June 5
Aug 14
Sept 11
Oct 16

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note: I spoke with the organizer of the Lotus Club NW May 22 event at PIR and this event will be cancelled in the event of rain. The forecast for next Friday at this point is still 50/50 for rain. If it does go I hope to see you there or at the June 5 Cascade Sports Car Club event.

/Rich

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Helmets must be snell 95 (M or SA) according to their web page but you may want to call Mark from the Lotus club to confirm as it hasn't been updated since 2008.

Mark Viskov is available at 503-641-7693.

We need 15 more cars to make this a go... c'mon Vipers, let's see if we can get enough to have our own run group!

James

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to AccuWeather, the forecast for Portland this Friday (22nd) is:
Friday, May 22
You must be registered for see images attach

High: 72 °F RealFeel®: 73 °F
Sunshine and patchy clouds

Then the following Tuesday (Porsche Club day, it goes up to 79 degrees!

Where do we get all the details - cost, sign up sheet, etc.?

Hey Clint - are you going to either? I would love to go, but I need to bum a trailer from someone who's not going. Don't want to wear out my tires just getting there! ;)

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Steve-

There is some information about their requirements on the Lotus club web page, the only way to register is to call Mark.

I don't have an extra trailer but give me a call, we may be able to work something out. Possibly I could transport you Kuhmos and loan you some street tires/wheels to get you to Portland.

James

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks James - I'll give you a call.

Who else is going?

Also, everyone should note that the sign-up cutoff for next Tuesday's Porsche Club event at PIR is tomorrow night (this Tuesday) at 12:00 midnight! And they have optional HPDE (i.e. track) insurance available in the signup process through Lockton Affinity at affordable rates, and individual instruction available from Cindy Lux! Pretty darned deluxe!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant make these during the week, if there is one on a weekend I may be able to make it in the future.

OP
OP
G

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clint, the vast majority of the driver's training/open track days are on the weekdays as the weekends usually are $1500-2000 more per day to rent and are also booked a year in advance in many cases with a waiting list.

Now having said that, there are a few new tracks opening up in the Oregon/Washington area so there is a remote possibility that we can make something happen.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news folks; according to the Lotus Club phone message line the May 22 event is a go and the weather forecast looks good. Thanks everyone for signing up. Hope to see you there.

/Rich

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... there are a few new tracks opening up in the Oregon/Washington area so there is a remote possibility that we can make something happen...
Errrchh! What??? Are you thinking of Spokane, or do you have some juicy news hiding in your pocket? Spill the beans! :poke:

I'll see you guys in Portland on Friday!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its cool James, I could probably make one during the week some time just not in the near future.

Did you say Spokane :) That town is just a good time waiting to happen!

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Errrchh! What??? Are you thinking of Spokane, or do you have some juicy news hiding in your pocket? Spill the beans! :poke:

I'll see you guys in Portland on Friday!

One track that has recently opened is Oregon Raceway Park in Grass Valley, Ore. Here's the website:

Oregon Raceway Park | Grass valley, Oregon | The Future of Racing in the Pacific Northwest

I attended an Oregon PCA HPDE events at this track and it is, in a nutshell, scary but fantastic with many blind hills and turns. If you get a chance, i would highly recommend it.

And here's a video from someone who was also at the PCA event:

YouTube - Corvette C6 Z06 Clockwise at Oregon Raceway Park ORPCA HPDE

/Rich