Updated/Improved Custom Ramps

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few months ago there were some questions about how to get the VIPER off the ground to perform maintenance. In this post:

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=594092&highlight=ramps

I posted several pictures of the ramp I built, initially for my C5 Corvette, and now for my '94 RT/10. Here's a couple pics of the old ones for people to lazy to click the link:

7107r4.jpg

7107r1.jpg

As you can see the top of the ramp is fairly short. In actuallity, this last step was an afterthought when I realized the car wasn't as high as I wanted it to be. The problem with it being short is there's no where to block the car from rolling backwards.

Here's where it gets interesting. I bought some 6 Ton jack stands a few weeks ago because I'm just not thrilled with my 2-Ton stands. The problem is I have to jack the car up higher to get the 6-Ton stands under the car. Well, last week I lifted the car enough that the car rolled off the ramps while I was jacking it. The car stayed on the jacks as I guided them, but it scared the hell out of me.

So, I decided to improve the ramps this weekend with the following goals: same height, larger top pad, no increase in weight.

First is the original ramp ready for modification:

pics_0091.jpg

Removed the original top level and stop, the remaining piece is the new top of the ramp:

pics_010.jpg

The original rubber pads that are stuck and nailed to the original bottom board have to be removed since it will no longer be the bottom:

pics_011.jpg

This is the 41.5" board, used to be the second from the bottom, with a lightening hole cut:

pics_012.jpg

This is the 55" board, used to be the bottom, with two lightening holes cut:

pics_013.jpg

I cut two new boards, each 2 x 10 x 70" and cut lightening holes. This is the new 70" board laying next to the 55" board:

pics_015.jpg

The new top board (the 27" long one) gets the old stop screwed to the end and a small 1 x 2 across the front about 4" from the 45 degree cut. Testing on the car wheels shows these need to be a minimum of 13" appart, this mounting results in more than 15", more than enough to slide a larger block in to prevent the car from moving back (if required):

pics_014.jpg

Screw everything back together and you get this:

pics_016.jpg

pics_017.jpg

pics_018.jpg

I can't stress this enough, the key to making these ramps not slide is the rubber pads on the bottom:

pics_019.jpg

Results: The new and longer ramps weight no more than the old ones. They actually feel lighter. When I run the car on the ramps I'll get some pics and comment on the functionality.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And here's some pics of the car on the ramps:

pics_020.jpg

The triangle block that slides behind the tire:

pics_021.jpg

and the triangle block in place behind the wheel and against the hardmounted 1x2:

pics_022.jpg

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nicely done! and nice rims too! I'm gonna steal your ramp idea(s). i've been meaning to build me a set and that'll work nicely.

thanks!!!

JD

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"and the triangle block in place behind the wheel and against the hardmounted 1x2:"

Very nice work !!! Instead of the 1x2 that you have to drive over, you could groove the top board so the triangle block sets down into the groove. The triangle block would have to be taller.
You could even put some angle on the groove so the block has to slide in from the side....that would hold it from popping out.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great idea Tony.

JD, steal away, that's why I posted it.

I forgot to thank my wife who spent a significant amount of time with the jigsaw cutting almost all of the holes to lighten the ramps.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if you used 2X4 nailed together instead of drilling and cutting lightening holes from a 2X8?

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe, but I already had the 2x10 boards cut and didn't feel like buying a bunch of new boards and cutting them to length and cutting the approach angles, etc. plus my wife was happy to be helping.

Silver_Snake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very well built ramps, I too will be stealing your idea (as well as several suggestions provided). If I may add to the list, I believe I will install a slightly larger stop block at the end of the ramp - if you were to go over the damage could be significant.
Thanks for sharing,
KC

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you're correct about the back stop, but if you make it too big your car will hit it, so keep that in mind.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great post :2tu: , I will be making a set as well.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING.:beer:

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no problem, and good luck. remember, the key to making the ramps work is the rubber pads on the bottom, otherwise you'll just push the ramps around.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my small, crappy battery powered circular saw. You can rotate the platform up to 45 degrees to make cuts like that.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reason why you extended the boards towards the front ? I see no reason
for it so I thought I would ask.

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the boards were not slightly extended past the front edge of the ramp like that, the weight and force of the car pushing against the final blocking piece at the top could cause the ramp to tip forward over its own axis and bring the longer leading edge of the ramp that is under the car up, smacking into the side sills. just about any pre-built ramp solution out there is formed with some sort of angle so the base of the ramp sticks out farther than the top of the ramp for that very purpose.

Nick

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the boards were not slightly extended past the front edge of the ramp like that, the weight and force of the car pushing against the final blocking piece at the top could cause the ramp to tip forward over its own axis and bring the longer leading edge of the ramp that is under the car up, smacking into the side sills. just about any pre-built ramp solution out there is formed with some sort of angle so the base of the ramp sticks out farther than the top of the ramp for that very purpose.

Nick

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeap, you're right, that's why I had the lower boards stretch father forward on both designs.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awsome, very well done!

my boyfriend made a set for me this past wknd, and I was trying to describe exactly what I wanted-now I can show him this thread:)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
We are a creative group!

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Necessity is the mother of invention, and there aren't a lot of ramps available for cars like this.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you can now find this great idea and wonderful tutorial as a permanent fixture in the Ilustrated Upgrades as well. Thanks snampro for the great writeup and RACECARS for the heads up on where to find it!

:2tu:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you can now find this great idea and wonderful tutorial as a permanent fixture in the Ilustrated Upgrades as well. Thanks snampro for the great writeup and RACECARS for the heads up on where to find it!

:2tu:

WELL DESERVED, GREAT JOB SNAMPRO. :2tu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh