Upper HP limits for twin turbo Vipers?

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the recent dramatic power increases seen in the twin turbo Vipers, does anyone have a guess regarding how much power a fully built, no-holds barred (but still streetable) twin turbo Viper engine could make? We've already seen 2000 horsepower, and they've made it look so effortless! What do you think the upper horsepower limit is, 3000 hp, possibly 4000 hp?? That's where top fuel dragsters were in the late 80's! Who knows, could the Viper be a potential high-5 second quarter mile car?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"streetable?" That is a very subjective term.

I don't know how "steetable" I would call a car when it spends more time at tuner shops than it does on the street. But hey, I guess if a gazillion HP can somehow be run on 93 octane then it's "streetable."

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything is streetable just depends on 3 things 1.how nuts you are 2.how much your willing to spend in gas 3. how good of a driver you are.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1200 rwhp on the street is more than you could use. I would say 800-900rwhp in a TT Viper is pushing the upper limits on what can really be used on the street. I know with my little 930rwhp setting, I can still only bring that in at 100mph. I would guess on street tires you would have to wait until 130-150mph for the tires to hold 1200rwhp. Anything more than that and it would simply be too dangerous for the street IMO, but then again, what would I know about high HP levels on the street in a twin turbo viper... :confused: :2tu:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"streetable?" That is a very subjective term.

I don't know how "steetable" I would call a car when it spends more time at tuner shops than it does on the street. But hey, I guess if a gazillion HP can somehow be run on 93 octane then it's "streetable."
BINGO! What exactly does the term "streetable" mean anymore? And where the heck are streets where you can actually find ANY real need for more than 500 HP? How bout we come up with some other term? Or maybe I just need to move my office to one end of the track at Raceway Park.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are TONS of great streets for using the HP all around Indiana! :D

My guess is right along with Gary's. I think 800rwhp is usable, but not much more. The TQ on the TT is what really makes is better to keep the boost down a bit in 1st & 2nd. At least on Pilots.

I am waiting for some Kumhos to see how much they help with traction vs the TT TQ.

I do NOT have the power Gary has, but I can't imagine how often I would use it when I do get it.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything more than 800rwhp is to much for any street, unless you plan on driving around on drag slicks.

The upper limits of viper motors them selves is another story. The first limitation you are going to find is turbo size, to make say more than 2200 hp the turbo needs to be much bigger than standard T4 housings. Which means you need room for them in a viper engine bay. And there just is no room in there for anything that size without drastic modifications.

Then you got the block limitation, I dont think it has been discovered yet but I bet it is going to be very soon.

My guess is a viper motor will only be capable of flowing about 2500hp with the curent head's available. If we get an after market head casting that can go up alot, but then you have alot of other problems to solve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456