VEC2 For Sale

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Selling my VEC2.. crashed my SRT before I got a chance to put it back in..

I purchased a VEC2, with the USB card reader/writer, and 2 additional program cards, about 9 months ago. The results were awesome.. much more than I expected!.. this is a great product!!

I removed the VEC prior to going in for some warranty work (didn't want to give the dealer any excuses). During this time, I send the VEC2 back to Roe Racing to have the harness upgraded to the new location they recommend. I got the VEC2 back some time ago but never got around to reinstalling it.

Unfortunately for me, I crashed my SRT two weeks ago so will not be needing this unit any longer.

I have for sale the VEC2, unused wiring harness, directions, program disc, 4 memory cards, and USB memory card reader/writer..

Below are the details from Roe ... the manufacturer :

VEC2
SKU: 0202-VEC2
Weight: 4 lbs

The VEC2 Viper Engine Calibrator allows precise tuning of the air to fuel ratio and ignition timing over the entire operating range of the engine. Viper SRT-10s typically gain 35 HP plus 50 FT/LBS torque, while Ram SRT-10s have gained 61 HP plus 104 FT/LBS torque! Viper Gen 1 and 2 customers have experienced gains in excess of 60 HP and 115 FT/LBS torque! More details...

Price: $995.99

DC Model & Year Viper RT/10 1992-95 Viper RT/10 1996 Viper GTS 1996-2002, RT/10 1997-2002 Viper SRT-10 2003-05 Ram Truck SRT-10 2004-05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Details

Simply inserting a pre-programmed Smart Card immediately changes the program settings for the current driving situation or octane of fuel as desired.
Features & Benefits:

Manifold pressure and RPM referenced fuel calibration.
Manifold pressure and RPM referenced ignition timing calibration.
Internal 2.5 bar pressure sensor.
Analog input from external 0-5V sensor (allows utilization of stock sensors for reference input).
Analog output voltage limit function (useful on forced induction using stock MAP sensor).
Allows for the use of significantly larger fuel injectors while retaining proper air / fuel ratios.
Individual cylinder fuel trim.
Internal injector drivers operate high resistance fuel injectors.
Smart Card programmable. No need to link to VEC2 in order to change the program.
Allows for stock-like drivability on heavily modified engines.
Programmable RPM limit.
Utilizes factory PCM adaptive capability to properly adjust for various operating conditions, such as altitude, engine coolant temperatures, intake air temperatures, etc.
Programmable output signal (12V- negative) can be used to activate a switched component or PWM (pulse width modulation) controlled component.
Plugs into factory wiring harness for easy installation.
Does not alter other stock PCM functions, allowing for full OBD2 functionality.
Logging feature allows viewing of delivered spark advance, fuel injector pulsewidth, RPM and manifold pressure (available late spring 2004).
Remote Smart Card reader allows program changes from inside the car (available summer 2004).
System Overview:
The VEC2 Viper Engine Calibrator allows precise tuning of the air to fuel ratio and ignition timing over the entire operating range of the engine. Simply inserting a pre-programmed Smart Card immediately changes the program settings for the current driving situation or octane of fuel as desired.

The unit contains its own fuel injector drivers and is wired in between the factory PCM and engine. It is especially useful for recalibration of both forced induction engines and those with extensive modifications, allowing the tuner to quickly get the engine running correctly. Stock engines can also benefit greatly from improving the ignition timing and fuel curves.

The VEC2 is similar to a stand-alone engine management system, but also has similarities to a piggyback system. We consider it as working “in series” with the factory PCM.

In a true stand-alone system, you must program for every operating condition the engine will experience, such as load, throttle position, RPM, engine temperature, air temperature, etc. These systems can be quite complex to tune. Most PCM’s also control radiator fan operation, A/C operation, emissions operation and diagnostic functions. Stand-alones are generally not compatible with OBD2 emissions testing in that they replace the factory PCM and will not link up with state run emissions equipment. These systems are best suited for racetrack use where engine tuners can fine-tune the program to the environment of the moment for optimal performance.

In a typical piggyback system, control over the engine is done by manipulating inputs to the stock PCM. Manifold air pressure and oxygen sensor voltages can be altered in order to make the PCM change its load calibration, thus altering fuel and ignition advance curves. Reducing MAP sensor voltage has the effect of reducing injector pulse width by making the PCM “think” the engine is under greater vacuum than actual. At the same time, ignition timing is advanced due to the PCM believing the engine is under a lower load. Conversely, increasing voltage has the opposite effect, increasing fuel and reducing timing advance. When tuning with systems of this type, you can find yourself in situations where you can have proper part throttle tuning, or proper full throttle tuning, but rarely both if the engine is heavily modified or has forced induction.

The VEC2 offers the best of both worlds. Stand alone system control, but with the simplicity of a piggyback system. The VEC2 controls fuel and timing, leaving the stock PCM to handle all other functions, such as idle speed, A/C control, emissions operation, etc.

System Description:

The VEC2 uses the factory PCM injector pulse output as a timing reference, which can be scaled within a range of 0% to 199%. This is beneficial in that if you’re using larger injectors, you can use a calculated percentage of the stock PCM pulse to make the larger injectors flow the same as the stock ones. This allows the engine to start up and immediately operate with the proper air/fuel ratio in closed loop operation. For use under a heavier load (full throttle / boost), you can create a fuel curve that begins adding milliseconds of injector pulse width as the load / boost increases. The fuel curve can be further trimmed based on the engine RPM, since the engine efficiency / fuel demand can change with RPM. Negative values can also be placed in load and RPM tables, allowing you to shut off injectors under deceleration and trim down fuel when it is otherwise too rich (both very beneficial for naturally aspirated engines).

Ignition timing can be controlled within a range of 25 degrees advance to 25 degrees retard from the factory settings. The curve can be configured based on engine load and RPM. The factory PCM continues to drive the coils, though the input and resulting delivered spark advance is controlled by the VEC2. In places where the factory programmed timing curve was too advanced for an engine, such as under boost, it can be ********, while leaving normal timing in vacuum conditions. You can also add timing advance in areas where the factory programmed timing advance was insufficient, such as for naturally aspirated engines.

The VEC2 has a programmable 12V- output wire. The output can be used to operate a relay, turn on a shift light, operate a PWM injector circuit, etc. The output is signal (manifold pressure or voltage) and engine RPM referenced. For example, you can create a program which will turn on a Nitrous relay, increase the injector pulse and decrease the ignition advance all at the same time.

For use on engines that pressurize the stock intake manifold, the VEC2 has a programmable analog output signal limiting function. This allows the MAP sensor signal to be processed by the VEC2 before going to the original equipment PCM. The tuner can adjust the maximum allowable voltage that will go out to the stock PCM in an RPM referenced table, keeping check engine lights from occurring due to the PCM seeing a MAP sensor voltage higher than normal when under boost.

The different fuel and timing programs are written using the VEC2 software. Program files can be modified, saved, e-mailed and written to Smart Cards with serial and USB plug reader / writers. The VEC2 has an internal Smart Card reader and writer. To change the program, simply slide the card into the slot and wait for the green ready light to blink (typically 1-2 seconds). Using Smart Cards allows you to quickly change the program without having to link up to the VEC2. You can have an unlimited number of Smart Card programs (they are rewrite-able) and they are compact enough to put in your wallet.

I paid $1054 for this setup and will sell it for $700, shipped..

[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4