Venom 650R- 2 GSX1300R - 0

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the pleasure or running into a sport bike in Sunday!!! He wanted to run. So I did I roll on from about 75 - I pulled him slowly all the way till I hit the limiter in 4th. I have a 345 gear - so I assume it was around 135. We slow down and he wants to go again. I gave him the move - SAME RESULT. He gave me the thumbs up and was on his way. He must not have been a good rider? I expect flames, but I can take it. This really did happen. The Venom 650R is the real deal. I have not had it timed yet but I will soon. By feel alone, I think I am running about 130 trap speeds. It also made peak power (564 RWHP) at 5600 and held it all the way to 6000. I can not say enough good things about HMS, John, Jason, and Kyle. Great job on this setup guys. The car will flat out FLY.

Prowlin the streets of Atlanta,

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a roll, from a roll. They might run low 10's, but from a roll, Don't count out the Viper, From a roll, they Viper is DEADLY, even modified ones vs. modified ones..

Gerald

Reaction score
Hi Martin. I told you that this car was too much fun! It sounds like you are pulling a few more HP than I do. I will re-dyno on Saturday in Denver, if I don't get caught in some snow on the way from Montana to Colorado. Will be in touch with you to compare figures. Did you go with the Sound Effects "tuneable" rear exhaust system?

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim,

You were right on!!! This car Rocks. I did not go with the tuneable muffler system. I just have 3 inch pipe all the way out... except for the see-through Mufflers I got from HMS. Let me know how things go in Denver!

Regards,

painexpert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally disagree with the majority of the comments concerning the Viper versus the Hayabusa.I do not believe that a 650 Venom could outrun the "Busa" from any starting speed.Look at the numbers,its impossible.If you beat this guy he must have been sleeping in his seat.I raced a Hayabusa earlier this evening(against my better judgement) on I-15 just outside of Las Vegas.He had a stock bike with 1100 miles on his odometer.My Viper is modified,599.1 RWHP and 600.8 RWTQ!My rear end gear is a 354.He beat the hell out of me!We went from a roll,again from 60 mph,again from 80mph,etc.I was at 160mph and he went right by me at I'm guessing 180mph.We stopped and talked after.He was a real nice guy.Please don't assume that it is because of my driving.I have raced all types of cars.I have raced the "Silver State" five times,all in the unlimited class with a best average speed of 162mph over the 92 mile course with short bursts of 196 mph in a highly modified Vette.So I am no stranger to high speed.That bike is like a bullet.Afterwards I told him that it looked like he was shot out of a cannon! and if you want to be humbled go take one on.But you will get your A** kicked.No more "crotch rocket" races for me.Their power to weight ratio is awesome.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt about it the busa would run and hide with any kind of decent rider and from a roll it would be alot worse, the reason they don't run 8's is the holeshot. I have seen stock a one run 9.6 146 in the 1/4 and have seen cars run high 8's at the same mph. I have seen many 650 venoms and they run in different zip
code. You can't beat that 3 to 1 power to weight ratio of the superbike.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can believe it. I have ridden bikes my entire life and know where the strong points are. Plus, why would I doubt anyones word. Nice job. Go getem.

You went and did the job, the rest can just stay home and bench race.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to fuel the fire, I did it again with an R1. From 70-135.

I am not stupid enough to be taking a stand that my Venom is faster than all, most, or any bike. But I can tell you for sure, I am 4 and 0 against the bikes that I have encountered. I fully expect that someday, someone will hand me my a$$.

I am very happy with the car and it's capabilities. For me, it was just what a wanted.

Regards,

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear PMUM,

I just sold my modded Viper to a gentleman in San Deigo, if you would like to put $$ on the race, I'm all game. I can set it up if you want. The car doesn't not have slicks on it, so from a roll it will be.
Only thing I ask, is your bike modded?

Email me

Gerald

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no doubt the 650R is bad. There's no doubt a 'Busa rips. I guess there's always debate when you run a highly modified 100k+ car against a STOCK street bike. Put a wheelie bar, slick, sprockets and air shifter on the 'Busa and run low 9's. 1/4 mile mph=hp.dj

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an R1, a CBR929 and a '98 GTS. From any speed, either the 929 or the R1 will wipe the floor with the GTS - not even close. Not even close to being close.

There are all sorts of things that could have happened... for example, I ran a guy in a 1985 Vette the other day on my R1. I was in 6th gear and I left it in 6th. I still toasted him, but not nearly as badly as I could have if I had downshifted.

Who knows what happened... maybe the 'busa was still being broken in. Maybe the guy didn't downshift. Maybe he was test riding someone else's bike?

The bottom line is that I believe you won, but something was going on to seriously handicap that 'busa. Venoms run, what, mid 130's in the 1/4? Not even close to the mid 140's that a Busa runs... that's like comparing a Venom 650 to a stock car - in a highway pull, the Venom is gonna walk the stocker hard - just like a 'busa should walk a Venom 650.

Hey, Paul Mumford... didn't you used to have an R1? How do you like the Gixxer compared to the R1? I have an R1 now, but also had a deposit on a GSXR1000 that just came in - trying to decide if I should take the GSXR over the R1. What do you like/disklike about both of them?

Thanks

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

If you're going to race your old car against a GSXR 1000, I'd LOVE to get in on that action. I'll take $100 - just a friendly little bet ok? Of course that's 100 on the bike

You DO know the GSXR1000 is pretty much the fastest of the liter bikes right? Some have run in the 9's in the 1/4. It's right on the heels of the 'busa!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an interesting discussion...Im wondering now that if the Venom 650r is capable of mid 130mph in the 1/4 to the Busa's mid 140's then the Venom 800 should rip a stock Busa...But when I saw the Motortrend mag the 800 "only" does 138 in the 1/4?????Although it cracked a 9 sec run:eek: with full freakin interior and a blasted warranty...Geezus....However, I figured with 200+ more hp than the 650r it should be close to at least 146-150mph.....Is the Viper that aerodynamically challenged that even with that ungodly amount of power it isnt breaking the 140's....Im a Viper lover so this is not a flame...Im just confused as to why with so much power its not in the 145-150... I see Supras which are heavier with about 700-750 doing 9's at 146mph...Is it aero drag thats holding The Viper back...BTW how much is the HMS 800 weigh?? Stock GTS are 3375 so with that bodykit it should be more.....One more thing that bodykit is for stability at insane speeds right??Would that add to the drag coefficient of the car thus slowing it down in a quarter mile run??I know it would beat the **** out of most any car on a road course since thats what its made for.........And one last thing wouldnt an 800 without the bodykit be faster in the 1/4 than the HMS bodykitted 800???
I know these cars arent geared for the quartermile thats why that 9 sec run is so staggering..Imagine a made for the Quartermile Venom 800:eek: wear your Depends undergarments chaps....

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more than game for a roll on. Set it up--sounds like it'll be fun. Better hurry, though, because my bike is stock for now but won't be for very long.

Mike, yes I still have my R1 (although it's pretty highly modified) and there are pros and cons to each. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The Suzuki is unquestionably a better bike for track work or hard riding. The BIG limitation to the R1 is the frame/chasis. Once you put sticky tires and/or hp into the R1 it's very hard to stop it from weaving and headshaking. This isn't usually a problem on the street though.

The GSXR1000 is rock solid on the track (I burned two tanks of gas at Willow Friday and wanted more time). The bike feels very, very stable and never weaves coming off corners. It'll make for a way better track platform. That being said, it feel heavier. Don't know why--might be that the tank is wider, but the bike isn't as quick to change directions as the R1. So for the street or canyons it's a toss-up. The R1 looks better and turns quicker, but the GSXR motor is noticably faster, it's more stable, it's Fuel Injected (VERY nice, esp. if you put on a pipe- you can change maps easy with Power Commander) and the motor is a lot smoother (counter balanced).

In summary, if it's a street bike, I doubt I'd sell an R1 for the GSXR. But if you've gotta have the latest, greatest, the Suzuki is it.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, from a ROLL only. There is NO DOUBT that a bike is faster than a car (ANY CAR!). I totally understand that. The gentleman that bought my bike did some more mods to it before I sold it to him. I think from a good roll is more even.

I think he added another 150 to 250 HP..

Gerald

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if the race is run in reverse, the Viper has a pretty good chance. Particularly in a roll from say 80, or so. See at that speed, the guy on the Busa is gonna be running so fast backwards that he's likely to pull a hamstring, or worse, blow a moccasin. Viper wins.

Otherwise, the bike probably has the edge.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys kill me. I'd be embarrassed if my $150,000 Viper couldn't run away from a stock bike. Hey, let's put a header, camshafts, stroker kit, twin turbos, Porsche deflectors, embroiderd seat and stickers and plenty of Zaino on the 'Busa and see who wins. Make the mods the same.
Stock Viper x's stock bike=Viper looses.
Modified Viper x's stock bike= Viper might win.
Modified Viper x's modified bike=Viper looses.
Where you gonna put the luggage on the bike? Turn on the a/c?nope. Drive in the rain?
Mumford might win if he can lay off the double doubles.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I see nobody is gonna answer my questions huh....Im being ignored....Oh well Ill leave now.....

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakebitten you already know the answer to that question, and I can tell you it isn't areodynamics. my viper made 525 rearwheel horsepower and ran 10.50 at 134 and thats through the stock exhausts. I haven't heard of any 9sec street vipers but I geuss there are some somewhere. There is usually a good rule to hp and mph, 10 horse equal 1 mph in the quarter. The only other reason maybe some cars with big horse don't put up the numbers is they don't have the driver to do it. I think some guys have real bad depth perception because they start thinking a city block is a car length, especially when they race those big litre bikes.

brett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bike will definitely leave the Viper and Paul will win the race. The Viper is challenged by it's aerodynamics at that speed, but it still comes down to HP to weight ratio. I don't know why we have another thread about this. Do you have the balls to take a bike from 80 to 110 mph with the front wheel coming up the whole time, shift to second and have the same scenario happen to 135 mph and all of this happening in about three seconds. Most riders don't either...that is what your up against. (the rider) Those bikes hit HARD at the top end and most riders shift shy of the bikes full potential because of this. I used to ride with friends that had identical bikes and a few of us would flat leave the others and it was because they jumped out of the gear before things got nuts. Just because they have fast bikes doesn't mean they are "willing" to use them. How many Viper owners do we know in the same scenario? It's not a bad thing just a fact of life. If you've done this on a bike you know what I mean, it would scare the poo-poo out of most people. Arrange it...I'll put $$ on PMUM.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used to have CBR900 and race all the other bikes in St. Joe and smoke even the fastest bike at that time, the ZX-11. Even would race my friends CBR600 and beat all the 750's. 900's and up were a little too much for a 600 to handle even for an experienced driver. Alot of the speed is up to the driver.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uuuuuuyuuujjolp;;'pkk;llkkjujjijjjujyykkkgkgkhlgkh ,blblh.bnn,j,j,jn,bhkgkgkg9g9oibkgjgjgbkgglhlglkuoohutdfujgjvgkgjugoioivyuvjvuf

uvyuvuiuvvffugkfkcjcjjcv

Sorry, my little girl wanted to put her 2 cents in!

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Moderators, How come page 2 of this thread reverted to the ping-pong, wide-bodied, wear your eyes, wrist and mouse out sliding back and forth variety. Someone once posted that this is the most irritating feature of the board... I would agree! Any way to stop it? (Thanks for your VOLUNTEER efforts!)

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jamie furman:
\I think some guys have real bad depth perception because they start thinking a city block is a car length, especially when they race those big litre bikes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jamie,

That is one VERY funny quote

SnakeBitten,

There is a lot at play in the 1/4. Not everything works to make the car faster. If you change the gearing (which HMS does in a lot of his cars), you can actually slow down if you are having to shift into 4th earlier, or maybe even 5th. Also, the aerodynamics come into play. Also, and I am not saying this is true of HMS, but alot of the time the #'s arent what they are claimed to be.... a car that dynoes at 600RWHP one day doesn't necessarily put that down all the time, especially if the owner was going for a big number on the dyno. The Viper is alot heavier than any bike, so its hard to launch without a ton of wheelspin. You can run 9s in a bike if you can control the wheelying.

I see people talking about #'s all the time - I do it too sometimes. They are good for giving you an idea of what *should* happen, but it doesn't always go like that. There are several Z06's at my track...some run mid 12's, some run mid 13's. On paper, they should be just as fast in low gears, and slower in higher ones - on the street, it's not like that. The difference appears constant in all gears from my experience...

Hope this helps...

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one comes up a lot and always gets a lot of interest. The fact is that the rider was an utter meathead. I took my bone stock GSXR1000 to Willow Springs last weekend and was showing an indicated 167 on the front straight vs. 145 or so for the Viper. Coming on to the front straight you start at 100 or so in the bike, even faster in the car. No contest. I'm sure this flame will go on and on, but if anybody has a modded Viper in Orange Co. and wants to see it get worked from 60, 80, 100 or whatever lemme know.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most guys get the point, but as an owner of many 10 sec cars and bikes R1, ZX-11's and big suzuki's I just find it comical that guys in street cars think they can hang with these bikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave