Vette Viper Shootout Winner..........................

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to Lee Saunders of Lakeland, FL in his BTR Performance prepped 1997 Viper GTS 750 SuperSnake.

Lee handed the bowtie boys(over 100 of them) a 10.31 at 138 MPH while lifting from wheelspin at Desoto Speedway today at the Breathless Performance Vette/Viper/F-Body shootout.

This was the quickest and fastest time of the day by a drivable car. The fastest bowtie(chevy-GM) was an 11.10

George Bryce ran respectable times as well(somewhere in the Mid 10's) with his LPE equipped Viper.

Thanks again Lee for Carrying the Viper flag to battle! We look forward to joining you this weekend in Gainesville as we devistate the imports that will be racing there this coming Saturday.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

BTR Performance..."Where value and the dollar come together, and believe me, Reliability has a monetary value!"

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
That's fantastic; a 138 MPH trap shows you're clearly picking up quite a bit of power on the NOS with those heads! Great stuff!

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there with Tony Darwin. Neither of us planned on racing so Tony didn't bring Sir Hiss, but as soon as we got there we regretted our decision. That $135 entry fee is tough to justify for a $10 trophy. No raffle or anything. ******'s girls? Nothing. But it was still a great show. Is there a date set for the October shootout?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"you own a $60,000 car and are crying about $X" As if we don't hear that one enough.

laugh.gif
But it's worse than that Bro, I own TWO 60,000 cars and I'm crying about the $135 fee.

I've got everybody and their brother coming after me for money. Try to understand my skeptism when I hear "it's for charity." How much did Breathless raise for the charity?

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, On another board someone was telling me that they went as well but...............Any info on who's Viper?

"you'll like the pic I have of a Viper ACR. He was matched up in a bracket race against a C4 'Vette. The 'Vette redlighted, so the Viper won before the first amber even lit. However, when green hit, he dumped the clutch, the slicks hooked, and parts spit out of the rear end. The pic I have is the driver and some track officials pushing it out of the staging lanes and into the pits. He won without moving a foot. "

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We left before the bracket racing. What color was the broken Viper? If it was blue then it was the BTR Viper of Lee Saunders.

If it was red it was the Lingenfelter Viper.

I doubt it was Rob's stock RT/10

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the Record the Fastest Street car was my friend's 96 Impala SS show car!! 10.19 at 136 mph.
Is a LT-1 396 with juice...

The Viper had Virginia's tag.. don't know why.. he did tell me he had no headwork and only headers and exhaust... I found it hard to believe since he trapped at 124 mph (11.4) on motor and told me he dynoed at 505 rwhp on motor and 640 rwhp on juice...
With a 1.5 's 60 ft, slicks and skinies I don't think he got wheel spin.. and he run a 10.31 at 137.7 mph...
Just wanted to give the facts straight!!

The breathless car is a tube chasis carburated big block..on juice... the best I saw was a 9.17

The BTR viper was impressive, but George's B. car was quieter and it ripped .. all motor!!!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
xsmph,

I can believe a 11.4 (124) 505 RWHP Viper with slick. There are stock Viper's 400-410 RWHP doing 11.7-11.8 (121) on stock tires. Seems feasible to me...

Later

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Viper had Virginia's tag.. don't know why.. he did tell me he had no headwork and only headers and exhaust... I found it hard to believe since he trapped at 124 mph (11.4) on motor and told me he dynoed at 505 rwhp on motor and 640 rwhp on juice...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vipers can't make 505 rwhp without headwork, so he did have headwork. The 124MPH is about what I would expect with 505rwhp, and 11.4 on slicks sounds about right.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>However, when green hit, he dumped the clutch, the slicks hooked, and parts spit out of the rear end.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So who dropped the parts, the Viper? The wording is confusing. It seems like it's just a matter of time before the stock rear end blows, when running slicks and big HP.

Code:

BTW $135 is far to steep for the number of cars attending. That's close to what it would cost per car to privately rent the track and run 10 cars. So with that many cars it should not have been anywhere near $135. Open the books let us see them, if its for charity. The track probably made all the $$. Oh and were hot dogs & soda the usual $3 a whack?

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES the viper who broke a the line was G. Brices's 542 cid..
something broke in the drive train...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
Open the books let us see them, if its for charity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I'm waiting for MES.

Poison, do you have the numbers? It's been two days. I would think Breathless Performance would be anxious to show figures and promotional photos of them handing a check over to the Charity Director. I went to www.BreathlessPerformance.com and saw nothing. Is there another website? www.ViperVetteFbodyShootout.com is not registered.

Conservatively at least 60 cars ran, at $135 each. Comes to $8,100 minus $5K to rent Bradenton Motorsports Park. That leaves a very conservative $3,100. That doesn't include $10 spectator fees or the food stand revenue.

BTW Poison, I knew all the Vipers there except for one. Maybe that one was yours? What is the color, model and year of your Viper? Happy to have you aboard.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Poison is your Viper red, with smily face at rear quarter panel? Viper is regiester in Virigina, but is a Fl. car.
cool.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fast02ws.6:
Iwould like to clarify the time of the fastest f-body at the
shoot out. Itwas 60/ 1.584 1/4 11.068 mph 122.95.

not to bad for a cam and a little spray.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post your times, bragging a little is fine but thinking anyone on this board is gonna believe that an fbody ran 11.0 with just "a cam and a little spray" is very niave.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fast02ws.6:
violant cold air,30lb. injectors,160 stat,mass air flow ends,hi flow radiator,10mm wires tr66 ngk's,comp extreme cam .563 222 222 114,compsprings pushrods
vigalante 3000 converter,trans-co shift kit,slp ceramic coated
long tube headers,off road y-pipe,4 inch mufflex exhaust,carbon
fiber drive shaft,random technology torque arm,graneteli subframes,upper panmhard,lower adjustable panhard,slp driveshaft
loop,struttower brace,373 gears ta girdle cover,lower control
arms,pro dyno fuelpressure regulator,mallbro 255 inline pump,
150 wet shoot,ed wright programming.do the math.cheakls1.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cam and a little spray huh?

As I said, no problem posting times and bragging a little but save the bs ("cam and a little spray") for the high schoolers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What language are you reading? Nobody is questioning the cam and shot, nor is anybody doubting that an fbody can run 11s. But “a cam and a little spray?” Talk about an understatement. Congrats on the times but get real, he’s got nearly every bolt ever made. All that’s left is a tube frame chassis. I suppose if he didn’t have the “cam and a little spray” he’d be passing it off as “bone stock?” Gee how about that, if I got an fbody and wanted to run 11.0 all I need to do is spend $1,500 on a cam and a shot and I’m there! Oh and a couple bucks on headers, catback, torque converter, diff, Nittos, suspension, etc, etc, etc.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99ssz28,

$ 35000.00 in a v-6 S-15?? Sounds like you forgot to collect your change........lol, but what the hell, if it has factory suspension, drivetrain, engine tires and interior I will race you in my likewise equipped Viper.

Take care,

Tom

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99ssz28:
The little s-15 is a syclone and the truck was 15,000 and yes it still has the factory drivetrain in it, so anytime you want to race. How about when its wet out?LOL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or how about 1st one to 190mph :)

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the others fast02 your first post with the "cam and a little spray" is quite misleading. A little spray to me is 75 or 100 shot not 150 then you go on to list 30 more mods later after a BS is called. Running low ET's is good and that's what wins drag races on the track, but on the street MPH wins the race. Your 123 MPH will barely take a stock Viper, let alone a modded Viper in a street race. Running an automatic tranny, high stall, slicks, solid axle will get most cars into the 10's @ 125 or so, but change to a 6 speed, IRS, stiff suspension and your going to loose nearly a full second in the 1/4 so when you come here and start comparing your car to a Viper then concluding that you saved sooo much money because you have a faster car, it's just silly. They are two completely different cars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
It seems alot of viper owners think thier car cant be beat on the street, i have a little black V6 s-15 that would probably embarass most vipers on the street

...so anytime you want to race.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about Saturday at Fudruckers, from 40-130MPH you said a street race, that's a street race. I had some lined up for last night but now maybe Saturday some Mustangs, Supra, LS1, and lightning's.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cam
and spray are my only real power adders.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? The bolt-ons got you into the 11s thereby dropping more than a second off your Fbody. The cam and spray dropped less than a second.

the headers,suspension,
converter ect.they are all bolt ons after I was already running
in the 11's.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again 1fast, we're not comparing your car to Vipers. It's the insinuation that all you had was a cam and spray.

Well, this board gets boring occasionally, so thanks for livening it up.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99ssz28:
It seems alot of viper owners think thier car cant be beat on the street,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too be fair, this logic can apply to any motorhead.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Mes, from 40-130 what the hellis that, i dont know many people racing from a roll. Wait a minute, i almost thought i was on a honda forum, they did not even race from a roll in the *** and the furious movie. it would be a quarter mile, no roll, first one to the finish is the winner. Oh and by the way, you guys do make some awesome M.P.H. but first one to the finish line wins! A win is a win.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, from a roll is stupid. I knew that you would find a way out of the race with that excuse. You did state that you will embarrass Viper's on the street, umm so when you happen to find a Viper driving down the street, your going to do the following: Measure off 1/4 of a mile, put some markers on the road, stop the traffic, do a burn out, all the time expecting the Viper to wait for you?
laugh.gif
Nope, real life what's going to happen is your going to see a Viper driving down I-95 who is willing to go from a 2nd or 3rd gear punch. He is not going to stop in the middle of I-95 so you can go from a dead stop, or drive 20 miles out of his way to a local 1/4 mile spot just so you can race. So my scenario was a real life type of situation where you would encounter a Viper in a street race. Next time be more clear, you mean a standing 1/4 mile race like at a drag strip. This is why many Viper owners as you state "think their car cant be beat on the street" is because on the street there are no rules, start or finish lines, just go until someone wins.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>one more thing, I hope no one takes offense to our posts , its all fun anyway!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense taken, It's hard to read intent into typed words besides this is a bit more entertaining than out normal Zaino, muffler delete, dead battery posts
redface.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Mes, How about a red light?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good one
laugh.gif
you got me there

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hey Mes was that
your blue viper with the white stripes?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No 1fast I wasn't at the shootout. I do go to Moroso on occasion. My house is fairly close to Moroso (less than 20 min) so I often go on a spur of the moment type of thing.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one more thing, I hope no one takes offense to our posts , its all fun anyway!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob, your welcome here. Hey my Viper runs 12.3. Not bad for a stock car with a few cubic inches.
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey chuck if that was your car that I saw at the shoot out in
the front by the fence I would have to hold up the B.S.flag on
the 12.3.I got that on video.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope James, that wasn't mine but I wish I had it. That was a stroked Lingenfelter 542cid. The blue/white was the BTR Viper of Lee Saunders. Both cars ran 10.3s and are mentioned in the beginning of this post. I was "posing" that day. I had my RT/10, but a newer RT/10 identical to mine clicked off a couple of 12.3s.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my 96 GTS I have had a total of 4 days but you guys running down my f-buddies makes me want to drag my 94 formula down and beat up on some Vipers. Where does everybody hang out in the Tampa/St.Pete area ? I've got a cruiser in Indian Rock Beach, I'll have to drive my big Neon over and say Hi !!
Tony Armour Ringgold Ga. (Chatt.Tn)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1TONY1:
Where does everybody hang out in the Tampa/St.Pete area ?
Tony Armour Ringgold Ga. (Chatt.Tn)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Friday night Biff Burger in Largo
Saturday night Checkers in Tampa on the corner of Dale Mabry and Fletcher.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ls1 guy,

Your car runs in the 12.1-12.4 range, and drops to 11.00 with 150 horse juice, am I reading this correctly??

Not putting up the BS flag whatsoever, kinda thinking a full second drop with a NOS kit would be nice, didn't think at this kind of power level that reduction would happen in ET, I'm thinking more like .5-.7 with 150 horse juice when in the 11's, tell me I'm wrong and I shall order.......
smile.gif

Seems this thread is turning into a "I can go faster with less money since your car cost so much" smacking.....

Did you guys see that K-car run mid-10s and wax a BPU++/*- Supra by 10 cars yet? I have the video somewhere, he has us ALL beat on that line of thinking!!