Vetts everywhere....more made in a single year then all Vipers combined!!

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was curious about production figures for Corvettes vs Vipers (and don't get me wrong, there are some cool Corvettes, I loved Stingrays when I was a kid, loved that movie Corvette Summer :0)

According to the production figures I could find on Corvettes, since 1962, GM has made more Corvettes every single year, then all Gen1 & Gen2 Vipers combined (around 14,000 total according to Maurice Liangs 'Viper Buyers Guide').

This site verifies the production figures up to 1972:

http://rowleycorvette.com/vettestats.html

Other sites I found on newer years showed the production figures up in the 30-40 thousand cars produced per year in the 80's on up.

I'm wondering, with these kind of figures, when the Gen1/2 Vipers will start to appreciate?

Cal

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think since the GenI & GenII body styles are no longer made, you'll see a slow down on the depreciation.... Perhaps even starting to see prices stay steady or go up in the coming years...

G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing like having a appreciating car in the garage huh chuck? You've got two of them don't you?? dooooooooooooohh!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think with the new coupes going for $90K plus, the Gen 1 and Gen 2's will no longer be depreciating. In fact, some of the dealers have been talking about good Gen 1's and 2's being hard to find and bringing some decent $. Hopefully DC will continue to pump out those Zo6 510hp look alikes with complete indifference to everyone on this board and you will continue to see the Gen 1's and 2's appreciate. I'm owned my 96 for 2.5 years and can get about 5k more now than I could back then. So DC, keep ignoring us and hopefully by 2010 we will have 525hp $120k cars which will only make the 1's and 2's continue there upward appreciation.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have to start to wonder how much longer Viper owners will track their Gen I and II cars, since body parts are going to get more scarce and expensive, and wear and tear on the vehicle also will contribute to depreciation. (I'm speaking of basically week-end cars and garage queens, not dedicated track vipers here.)
You've got to think in a fairly short time, the value of these "rare" (relatively speaking) vehicles will start going up above their original MSRP, for example. Also, every time I've tracked my Viper, I've had to replace something (clutch throw-out bearing, PS pump, thus far). I correlate these failures with the tougher duty cycle of summer tracking in the south.
I'm still planning to track mine some, but beginning to think about it more...

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the car will start to appreciate( $ value) when your great great great great grandchildern are the ones that own it(mayber). till then just appreciate(enjoy) your car.

btw there are already people reproducing body parts for these vechicles including Autoform development.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the car will start to appreciate( $ value) when your great great great great grandchildern are the ones that own it(mayber).

Well, if what's happened with other "classic" or "collectible" cars, we won't have to wait that long. Here's one example, a 1984 Rustang that's already appreciated (if you go by the asking price) more than its MSRP, and they made 900-some of this particular model.
Old Rustang

I believe that in ten-fifteen years we'll see Gen I and II's selling for at least their original MSRP (those that are "original" and in good condition/fairly low miles).

But, I'm still going to drive mine and enjoy it! :2tu:

Edit: check out the astronomical prices 60's muscle cars are bringing today - average around 10 times their original MSRPs. Vipers are more rare than Chevelle SS, for example...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456