Viper Days/NARRA at Putnam Park (Indiana) Aug 7-9

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe 2009 marks the 15th year of Viper Days/Viper Racing League/NARRA coming to the Putnam Park Road Course in Mt. Meridian, Indiana. Yes folks, this is where it all started! For many of us "veterans", it's like going to Homecoming. For any rookie or track rat wannabe, Putnam is the safest track around, and a ton of fun to learn on. Hoping to see lots of you there!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have to agree with Rick that Putnam is the safest track on the schedule, now that they no longer go back to Mid America Motorplex in Iowa. Great little track and usually a fun time to socialize also.

Don't forget next week at Heartland Park , Topeka, site of the past three National Championship Runoffs for SCCA.

:2tu:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a shame. Too bad NARRA does not take a page from the PCA club. I bet if you lowered the price to compete with NASA, SCCA & even some of the High Performance Driving Schools you would get many more registrations. It's worth a try.
I know i for one would come out if the registration was more in the $ 300 - $ 400 price range.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a shame. Too bad NARRA does not take a page from the PCA club. I bet if you lowered the price to compete with NASA, SCCA & even some of the High Performance Driving Schools you would get many more registrations. It's worth a try.
I know i for one would come out if the registration was more in the $ 300 - $ 400 price range.

took the words right outta my mouth:2tu:

I am running a 3 day event with MORPCA this wknd (club I belong to) and they LOVE the Vipers, are ALWAYS asking me to encourage them to run with them. All day lapping for instructors/adv tomorrow and a full wknd is right in that price range. Granted....no VIPER support at the track, which is a big advantage with NARRA.

I understand they had to make a decision at some pt when to cancel it, but a month in advance seems kinda early...? I was going online to register, and I had 2 other friends who were interested as well...I wonder how many other people were getting ready to sign up?

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats OK, we'll see everyone at VIR!!!

Oh wait, they dont go there anymore either.

If PCA, NASA, BMWCCA, MAZDA DRIVERS, TRACKQUEST, SCCA, CHIN MOTORSPORTS, THE CORVETTE MUSEUM, FAAST, CORNERSPEED etc. etc. etc. can maintain scheduled events at the pricepoint Frank mentioned its viable. The business model needs to be re-evaluated, as it probably hasnt changed much since its inception 15 years or so ago.

Bottom line its a bummer.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From my post in the IN/KY Region Section:

"... I am aware that there are complex issues. I sure wish that the "powers-that-be" would have requested some local regional marketing by the VCA officers to help obtain solid reservations. This has been very effective in the past!!!"

OP
OP
R

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is NARRA too expensive? Probably, but ViperDays has never been the cheapest track time available, nor have they wanted to be. It would be great if, given this economy, the registration was a few hundred dollars less, but the real issue here is lack of marketing.

Just my 2 cents,
Rich

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hopefully, more folks will now consider going to Topeka next week. The pricing, for the events NARRA runs, is actually quite a bit less than it has been in the past when the Thomas's ran the Series. The new owners have been aware of the economy and did lower the price.

One good side note, is Woodhouse Viper owners can sign up for the Topeka event and get a 20% discount, so make sure you let them know if you purchased your Snake from us. ( NARRA Online)

Sad to hear about Putnam , as I agree with all who posted --- great , fun track!!!

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be responsible for bringing over 10 drivers (one year 13) to VIR. I was able to get a discount rate (thanks to Courtney) and that allowed all to participate. The past year that number dwindled to 6. Price was the issue - mainly due to the economy. So it is a problem.

Some people think its price, some think its marketing... Probably a combination of both, and other things. Sounds like the business model needs to be looked at if cancellations become a consistent problem.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie, I agree with you. I think the decision to cancel was made too early. Granted they might have needed 30 days but with the type of business they're in, that's the chance they have to take. I typically don't sign up for an event more than 1 or 2 weeks prior. There was a group of St. Louis drivers looking forward to this event. I always promote the track as one of the safest around. Looks like they're concentrating on the Southeast as it appears they've also canceled Hallett.
Terry

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking from limited HPDE scheduling experience, the 30 day lead time is probably driven by the track and the track schedule, not the organization. At 2 weeks before the event, the organization is likely financially committed.

Therefore it might lean back on marketing - have to get enough sign ups 4-6 weeks before the event.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that if NARRA would bring prices in line with PCA you would get more Vipers than ever. What a great set up for Archer Racing, and anyone else that wants to help out the Viper owners with on track service, there would be enough for everyone. I am sure that if a poll was taken & the costs were brought in line more would attend.

Who wouldn't bring their viper out on the track for say $ 350.00, 4 sessions, with instructiors. Racers @ $ 300.00. This would help offset the cost of travel & fuel. And if some of the local VCA Clubs want to make a day of it there would be alot to learn. Maybe even those that did not take advantage of the track time could do some Viper Laps @ $ 50.00

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my post in the IN/KY Region Section:

"... I am aware that there are complex issues. I sure wish that the "powers-that-be" would have requested some local regional marketing by the VCA officers to help obtain solid reservations. This has been very effective in the past!!!"
Actually, the VCA sponsors NARRA/Viper Days to the tune of $15,000 a year currently - even in the bad economy. We recently did an e-mail blast to all VCA members around the country specifically mentioning NARRA. The folks at NARRA also have a list of the regional presidents and generally communicate with them directly to encourage their participation and that of their members. I am not sure what else we can do short of tying people up, throwing them in the trunk, and dragging them there. And Viper trunks are notoriously small. ;)

In all seriousness, we have one real "track rat" in Kansas City and the rest are simply not as dedicated to that aspect of the car. Others have modifications that simply don't make it practical (800+ HP) while many have the convertible version of the Viper (SRT10) that do not have roll bars or hard tops. Throw in a price that is fairly expensive as compared to other host organizations (Porsche Club, etc.) and you will suffer from reduced participation - especially in a down economy.

Just rest assured that the VCA is doing all we can to help keep this viable for our membership.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your update, Chris...though, my post was not aimed at the VCA. I was thinking of the NARRA leadership.

For many years, I personally included a Viper Days brochure in our January mailing. I also included one in the welcome letter sent to every new member!!! Our Regional officers have not seen any such brochures from NARRA.

Following my specific inquiry to our President, it is my understanding that there has been no NARRA marketing to our Region...other than the presentation made to those at the Presidents meeting in January. Sad.

The original purpose of my post was not to cry over Putnam Park...but to make some rather obvious suggestions in hopes of avoiding a similar situation at the remaining NARRA events.

Most Regions already know those who can and will assist in this process...out of love for Vipers, the Club, and the sport. Many of us brought registrations in from multiple sources to offset low early Viper registration numbers...which would have been even easier this year at Putnam Park with the problems encountered this spring by our local PCA.

I appreciate the economic problems of the times...but would hate to see that become an excuse for lack of marketing effort...particularly if the help was not only available, but free!!

I would also add that for several years our Region paid a fee directly to Viper Days on behalf of our members who signed up for the full weekend Safety Course. This was done as an attempt to make the Viper driving experience safer, especially for the new owner. Too bad the dialogue has not continued.

Just my opinion!!!

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just sick over this cancellation - I look forward to Putnam every year. Has anyone ever participated in a 10/10ths Motorsports event at Putnam or anywhere else? They seem to be Midwest friendly. I'm not trying to take this off topic but I'm struggling with this one!

Terry