Viper Garage Restoration/Renovation Pictures

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased on old victorian home this summer built around 1860's. The challenge in finding an old home is finding a garage on the same property. Most are old barns. We did eventually did find the home after looking every weekend for a solid year. It did have a building called "a garage" but it was falling apart.

I've spent the last 3 months renovating the building before I could move my cars into it. A few of you that know me and know I am have been working on the project all summer have requested some pictures.

So here they are pictures and some back ground. (We have the history of the property through our notary documents)

The garage was originally a carriage house built around the 1890's the earliest reference and of mention of it being garage is in 1917. When we bought the property the earth was 2 feet higher than the foundation walls of the garage so over the years moisture had eaten its way right though most of the bottom of the structure. The cement was wrecked, the roof was leaking, a stream was flowing through one end of the building to another, bees nests, birds nests, 6 inch nails sticking out, junk filled both levels, garage door was falling off....etc. We were planning on tearing it down and building new....

But one look inside and the original craftmanship and woodwork of the interior told me to save it and fix it up. They don't make building like this anymore.

My friends and I did most of the work. We are not professionals just motivated car guys. It is not quite finished yet but here is where it is at for this year.

Before and after pictures:

The day we bought it:
Our_house_098.jpg

Had a bulldozer come and clear out some earth...here is what I found..

garage_1.jpg

Our_house_113.jpg

Our_house_112.jpg

bad leaky roof.....but look at the beauty of the wood....they don't make them like this anymore!
Our_house_155.jpg

The work begins....
Our_house_165.jpg

This was a little more dangerous than we knew...there was nothing supporting the entire front of the building.....so we went to Canadian Tire and bought a bunch of 20 ton hydraulic jacks and propped up the building......we later returned the jacks as they were obviously defective! :D
Our_house_169.jpg

Roof work
Our_house_174.jpg

Insulation begins...
Our_house_177.jpg

And the garage as it stands right now. Not perfect nor will it ever be but it is functional and has great potential to become a dream garage for me. Oh...while I was having new electrical box and wiresput in...I had them also install interent and cable TV!! Woohoo!!
Challenger_restoration_217.jpg

Challenger_restoration_206.jpg

Challenger_restoration_211.jpg

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.so we went to Canadian Tire and bought a bunch of 20 ton hydraulic jacks and propped up the building......we later returned the jacks as they were obviously defective! :D

Yes, we have customers like that at my place of business also !!

OP
OP
K

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more info on the challenger please.. ;)

It's a project I started last December. I always liked fast cars but was never very mechanical and it has really bugged me my whole life. I bought the Viper so I could work on a car and learn, only to find that I was too nervous to learn on it in case I screwed up anything really expensive! I felt like a poser being a huge car enthusiast but not understanding even the basics of mechanics.

So last year I finally got fed up enough of my own whining and decided to do something about it. I decided to build a car from scratch! This from a guy who until recently had never even done an oil change himself! I figured if I could build a car, I could learn anything.

So that's what I did. With no research, no idea what I was doing...I bought a shell of a 1973 Challenger with all its value removed from the car so I could build a muscle car that I wanted out of it. Since the value was removed the purists wouldn't kill me.

I'm lucky I have friends who are huge Mopar guys and been building or working on muscle cars most of their life. So I get first hand expert advise, and local finesse when it is something I can't do myself.

It is a 1973 Challenger originally a 318 automatic. There was no engine or internals with the car. Just the body and some parts.

Here is what the car looked like when I bought it:
FOTO_CHALLENGER.jpg

I started the paint and bodywork around December 15th and finished the exterior on January 15th. I painted the car two tone using viper color codes. Graphite and Black:

Here is what the car looked like last January:
Challenger_restoration_157.jpg

I am doing a modern Hemi conversion on the car which is gaining more popularity especially if the car's value has already been removed. I bought a 5.7 hemi engine this Spring with less than 100 miles and changing the cam, modified wire harness with a carburated solution by XV motors. The engine should put out about 420 - 440 HP once it is completed all for under $3500. I think good bang for the buck. Here is the engine.
Challenger_restoration_208.jpg

I originally thought we would have our new home and garage in February but it took longer than expected. I just finished the garage this week.....so now I can start working on the car again this next week.

I'm doing the interior and suspension next now that the body work is completed.

I'm having a blast learning this stuff..........when I'm not hurling tools, busting parts, and screaming profanities into the sky!!:D

Anyone else here a vintage mopar guy?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first car was a '70 Dart, ******* - 318.. I have fond memories of cussing up a storm while building it into something fast back in the eighties... Sold it to a buddy who wrapped it around a tree two week later.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother's in the midst of restoring his third Challenger after finishing the '68 Charger a couple of years ago.
Sorry I can't figure out how to post pictures here. It'll probably come to me after I learn to speack Chinese or invent an anti-gravity shield.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love that motor with the XV goodies. They make some awesome stuff! :D Looks like the motor is out of a LX body??

What trans did you go with? 727? 833 4 speed? Something more modern??

If you haven't noticed, BIG Mopar addiction here. Everything from the 60's cars, trucks, yep, pretty much ass of it! Great idea as well learning to work on a car that you are not 100% worried about in "that" way. I am doing the same.

Looks nice! Great work on the garage as well!

Robert

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Krum.
I remember you talking about that challenger when you were buying it.

Yes, old school here also.
I am doing the same late model upgrade into a 71 roadrunner......it is going to be a blast.
6.1. L with a 518 o.d., I figured that this could be my version of the new challenger.

Garage looks great BTW.

OP
OP
K

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love that motor with the XV goodies. They make some awesome stuff! :D Looks like the motor is out of a LX body??

What trans did you go with? 727? 833 4 speed? Something more modern??

Robert

Hi Robert,

Always great to meet another Mopar nut. I bought the engine from a Chrysler employee, it came out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. XV makes great products and great customer service...everyone just wishes they would actually stock the products they make.

I would REALLY like to put in a 5 speed but I think I am going to play it safe for the first round and put in a 727 and iron out all the bugs before spending big money on the trans. The 727 is supposed to bolt right up to the new hemi's.

What are you working on?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

Always great to meet another Mopar nut. I bought the engine from a Chrysler employee, it came out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. XV makes great products and great customer service...everyone just wishes they would actually stock the products they make.

I would REALLY like to put in a 5 speed but I think I am going to play it safe for the first round and put in a 727 and iron out all the bugs before spending big money on the trans. The 727 is supposed to bolt right up to the new hemi's.

What are you working on?

Sounds like a nice setup and the 727 will bolt right up.

Working on two projects right now, mine and a buddies. Buddies is a 1973 340 Duster. We are in the process of installing a stroker kit, Dana 60, and a Kiesler 5-speed conversion (you should REALLY consider doing the 5 speed. WELL worth it!! Being a Viper guy, you will never be happy with not being able to shift:rolleyes:))

Mine, a full restoration/restification on a 1980 Dodge W350 Dually Crew Cab (4 door) 4x4. Started off as a 360, but now with fuel costs, and wanting a good tow vehicle, have now converted it to a home built twin turbo Cummins with 24 speed stick.:cool:

Robert