Viper GTS vs 991 Turbo-S

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piss on the test driving. They should do a study on which one of those cars commands more bush. That's what the limbic portion of the brain wants to know.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two sports cars of this caliber and no track tests to determine the performance superiority of either car? Instead we get the reviewers subjective analysis on which is more comfortable as a basis of which sports car is better. Brilliant.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They didn't need to do any track tests.
One guy was speeding on the highway, the other did a bunch of burnouts.
That is more conclusive than any 'track testing'.

Also, one car was red, and the other car was a different shade of red. -neither analyst brought that up, kind of dis-credits the whole thing.

:rolleyes:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche is an awesome car--as noted repeatedly. It is also a better daily driver if one would like to drive such a car daily. However: (1) it is $200k; (2) For the most part it looks like every other Porsche, which is to say its VW Bug roots shine through; (3) the Viper will spank it on a race course (the Z28 just beat it); and (4) who does 0-60 and 1/4 mile anyway? (OK, a few of you go to the track for 1/4 mile). Great engineering marvel, but dull, boring looking car for $200k. For that money, you can get some pretty impressive lightly used exotics. Porsche 991 GT2 will be much more impressive, but again it will be $250k plus. Tadge J. of the Corvette Team or Bob Lutz once remarked that they were not impressed by Ferrari because while the cars were nice, there was no "secret formula" to produce great cars at astronomical prices. If the US Automakers produced cars starting at $230k, etc. it would be easy to produce world beaters. For Dodge, Chevy and Ford to produce such awesome cars for a fraction of the price--now that is magic.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche is an awesome car--as noted repeatedly. It is also a better daily driver if one would like to drive such a car daily. However: (1) it is $200k; (2) For the most part it looks like every other Porsche, which is to say its VW Bug roots shine through; (3) the Viper will spank it on a race course (the Z28 just beat it); and (4) who does 0-60 and 1/4 mile anyway? (OK, a few of you go to the track for 1/4 mile). Great engineering marvel, but dull, boring looking car for $200k. For that money, you can get some pretty impressive lightly used exotics. Porsche 991 GT2 will be much more impressive, but again it will be $250k plus. Tadge J. of the Corvette Team or Bob Lutz once remarked that they were not impressed by Ferrari because while the cars were nice, there was no "secret formula" to produce great cars at astronomical prices. If the US Automakers produced cars starting at $230k, etc. it would be easy to produce world beaters. For Dodge, Chevy and Ford to produce such awesome cars for a fraction of the price--now that is magic.
I think if the buyers demanded proper engine placement, the Beetle roots would be gone long time ago. Porsche certainly tried to abandon the Beetle long time ago, starting with 914 but unfortunately the buyers always felt otherwise. In all fairness, the new Corvette still looks a lot like the previous one and at the same time, is heavier and runs on four cylinders to the delight of aging buyers. Viper future is pretty bleak right now which is a shame but not all that surprising. And Ford GT has been discontinued many years ago after experiencing pretty much the same fate as the current Viper. Lack of soul seems to be a very common trait these days among many mainstream high performance cars, with the Viper apparently the last one standing-I personally think this is a horrible situation.

Regarding Lutz and Juechter. Lutz is busy rebadging left over Fisker Karmas, stuffing them with previous generation Corovette/Camaro engines and charging big bucks for it, not exactly a good example of American sports car progress. And Juechter, LOL, this guy is something else...

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we all know a Turbo S will destroy a Gen.5 in a drag race and I will tell you, it will hang with a Gen.5 on a road course for sure with non professional drivers. I have had three Vipers and also a have a new Turbo S.I invite anyone that has a Gen 5 in South Fl.that wants to do some real track time to compare the two,lets go for it...The TS is very fast around the track with the AWD/AWSteering and PDK. It will do the lap times effortlessly and very,very fast..But we sure do not want it out that a Gen 5 got beat my a Grand tourer VW....

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we all know a Turbo S will destroy a Gen.5 in a drag race and I will tell you, it will hang with a Gen.5 on a road course for sure with non professional drivers. I have had three Vipers and also a have a new Turbo S.I invite anyone that has a Gen 5 in South Fl.that wants to do some real track time to compare the two,lets go for it...The TS is very fast around the track with the AWD/AWSteering and PDK. It will do the lap times effortlessly and very,very fast..But we sure do not want it out that a Gen 5 got beat my a Grand tourer VW....
Isn't the latest GTR, especially the Nismo, faster than Turbo S on both drag strip and track? The thing about high performance cars is that there is always a car that is faster but the moment comes when you have to decide which is the one suiting you, the one you enjoy driving and one that you can live with. I was seriously considering 911 Turbo but I limit myself to manual transmission only, after test driving a few, I was told that I was hauling ass although I can swear, I did not feel going fast at all, these cars are very deceiving in this aspect, LOL. I cannot force myself to drive auto or DTC, even if this means being slower, the thrill just is not there and with AWD, I missed the thrill even with the manual transmission.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed....The Viper are a blast to drive compared to Porsche and I look forward to the 15 Snakes to see what SRT has in store..If I like the improvements,I will but one...

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should take a smaller step and invite someone with a Camaro first... Let it beat a pony car on the track before stepping up to a big dog.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper looks way more over the top killer and muscular than the Porsche. That's the most important aspect in my book:D

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For substance, the video was somewhat worthless. But from a "regular" point of view, I think the video was pretty good. It showed a couple of guys driving their cars like 99.9% of people normally would, which is not at a race track, drag strip, road course, etc. Most of the time you're in your polo's, jeans, sneakers, going to do your regular errands or going out for an evening or event.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For substance, the video was somewhat worthless. But from a "regular" point of view, I think the video was pretty good. It showed a couple of guys driving their cars like 99.9% of people normally would, which is not at a race track, drag strip, road course, etc. Most of the time you're in your polo's, jeans, sneakers, going to do your regular errands or going out for an evening or event.
For substance, this video carried no substance. As someone commented on the video, nothing less than a Porsche infomercial, intentionally or not.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper looks way more over the top killer and muscular than the Porsche. That's the most important aspect in my book:D
No doubt Viper stands out more, this is exactly what it supposed to do. On the other hand, do you want Schwarzenegger to open his mouth or would you prefer Kenneth Branagh, especially when reciting Shakespeare?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my 2014 TTS , i best car i ever owned IMHO.
So do you like it because you bought it or did you buy it because you liked it? Car owners tend to be very biased when the car they own is compared to another. Buyers also tend to defend their purchase, before and after the purchase.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good observations but poor conclusions. At this level the car's personality is key to a buyer's decision. These cars are about as different as is possible in the $100+k range, and buyers of each will likely use them differently. Just because you can track or drag both doesn't mean any particular prospective buyer will find both suitable or appealing for their needs. Some likely are attracted to one if buying one has been a long-term goal...and that would be the case for both of these. Substituting one for the other just won't happen when they are so different.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good observations but poor conclusions. At this level the car's personality is key to a buyer's decision. These cars are about as different as is possible in the $100+k range, and buyers of each will likely use them differently. Just because you can track or drag both doesn't mean any particular prospective buyer will find both suitable or appealing for their needs. Some likely are attracted to one if buying one has been a long-term goal...and that would be the case for both of these. Substituting one for the other just won't happen when they are so different.

Agreed. That is why a track test would have been the objective, sensible thing to do when you are reviewing cars of this performance caliber that are just so different in mission. I miss the days when sports car reviews were much more focused on performance and much less on comfort, trick-nology content and the like. Not that those things aren't important too but when you test two cars like this head to head and you don't even have track data what's the point of the review? You could have gotten two random people off the street to do this review and it would have been just as uninformative of the full performance abilities of either car vs the other.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.
Been hanging with P-car guys lately (driving with them in their HPDE events). This makes me realize how they feel about my car, and how I feel about their cars.
There seems to be a mutual respect for the most part, but with a sense of confusion at the same time.
I look at them and think 'for that kind of money, you could've got a Viper'
They look at me and think 'for that kind of money, you could've got a Porsche'
And we both don't know why the other 'doesn't get it' -so to speak.

The cars are so different in appearance, character and personality.
Different people like different things. Some chocolate, some vanilla,
Some want a car to be refined in every way, very precise, comfortable, and fast, with a clean look.
Some want a car to be raw, brutal, uncompromising, and fast, with a flamboyant look.
That is why there are P-cars for them, and Vipers for us.

Nothing wrong with that. Each camp thinks the other is missing out.
But the real guys that miss out, are the ones who refuse to acknowledge and appreciate both.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ,some Viper guys can be Porsche guys also. So,to that end, went with my friend(Dr.RW) yesterday to a Dodge Dealer in Palm Beach and he bought himself a brand new SRT Viper (Silver).Dealer was excellent and he got a excellent price. I drove it,car is Bad Ass/Nice,will it run with my Turbo S,will shall see..We both do the test and tune nights at the drag strip and track days...Drag Strip, it will get destroyed by the Turbo S, but he been drag racing Vipers for 15 years and WILL run the piss out of the Snake to try, will be good fun... As, for road course, we will get some real world times from real customers and we shall see..

Key Board Racing is BS....

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roll race and track viper has the edge for sure. Also in looks department irs no contest.

Literally

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roll race and track viper has the edge for sure. Also in looks department irs no contest.

Literally

Rolling, the P-car still wins, DCT's are just way too fast. Drive one and you'll understand what I mean. On the track it's a different story.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt Viper stands out more, this is exactly what it supposed to do. On the other hand, do you want Schwarzenegger to open his mouth or would you prefer Kenneth Branagh, especially when reciting Shakespeare?

Schwarzenegger is no dummy...I can assure you. My cousin in California had cancer a while back (currently in remission) and got to hang out with Arnold through the Make a Wish Foundation. Aaaaaand I got to go with him. One of the smartest individuals I have ever met.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schwarzenegger is no dummy...I can assure you. My cousin in California had cancer a while back (currently in remission) and got to hang out with Arnold through the Make a Wish Foundation. Aaaaaand I got to go with him. One of the smartest individuals I have ever met.
I've talked to Arnold in the past, very briefly but still... I shall not comment regarding his undersized suits or his cowboy boots. Nevertheless, I never said he was a dummy, I actually thought he was pretty sharp guy, until his maid made son surfaced. Nevertheless, I was referencing his English and acting skills when comparing him to Kenneth Branagh's abilities. I do not think there is much contest there, no matter how intelligent or smart Schwarzenegger may be.