"Viper" on the valve covers

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Viper\" on the valve covers

Okay, now that I have conquered the yellowing on my side sills with replacements thanks to Chuck at Tator Dodge, does anyone have any answer to the way the "Viper" seems to discolor on the valve covers? It looks bad! Chuck, if you are out there, how about Dodge warranty-ing me new valve covers? One way or another, I'm on a mission to get this resolved.

Andrew

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Viper\" on the valve covers

Will you be able to avoid the problem all together by spraying a light coat of WD-40 on brand new valve covers?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny you should mention this. I just came in from the garage doing the same thing. I just took sandpaper and did a letter every 10 minutes or so, took my time, didn't rush it. They were pretty pitted but it looks 100% better now. Now for the other side...... Just be careful. Good luck.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That sandpaper idea sounds great, I'll try it this weekend. I also heard that if you want them black, to go over the letters with a permanent black marker and let it dry. I didn't do it though.

OP
OP
A

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't know if it was the finish on the letters that was getting corroded somehow, or if it was something that was just like a tarnish that could be cleaned. I've tried different metal cleaners and rubbed till my own joints subluxed, and it still looks the same.

AC

OP
OP
A

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never thought of the sand paper idea because I thought there may have been some special coating on the covers that I didn't want to mess up. And WD-40? I would have thought the heat would have burnt that off in one run.
But who am I.
I know what I'm doing this weekend. Thanks!
Andrew

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62