Viper's racism...

Casper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found on the web a little bit Viper's racism against 2000 m.y.

Ok, '99 had pistons forged and '01 had antilock braking...but...call this car "bastard"...and almost fight between owner..This make me sad...

Viper is Viper...from 1st to 5th gen..and it's a big :usa: family...IMHO :dunno:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe a sort of "Metrosexual" automotive identity complex...not a '99 but not an '01....like ViperJeff states...sort of caught between rivaling siblings.
Or other comparisions:
-Never the bride, always the bridesmade
-The fat chick with the skinny friends
-The drunk coed at the party
-The designated driver at the New Year's party
-the car that left it in "R" at the staging line

Others can chime in since I have to go exercise the antilock brakes on my '01...LOL.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While 2000 may be referred to as a bastard year, it also is the year for one of the most desirable colors.....Steel Gray. I think it's all done in good fun and nothing harmful is meant by it.

Didn't the 2000 model also have the water pump impeller issue? I know 01 had that and a few 02's.

The timing of this post is funny as I just was getting ribbed this past Saturday that my car didn't have forged pistons or the 798 cam. I quickly pointed out that the cast pistons are actually better on an N/A car. The cam.....well I took care of that, or actually Mr. Heffner did.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found on the web a little bit Viper's racism against 2000 m.y.

Ok, '99 had pistons forged and '01 had antilock braking...but...call this car "bastard"...and almost fight between owner..This make me sad...

Viper is Viper...from 1st to 5th gen..and it's a big :usa: family...IMHO :dunno:

Whats wrong with that? I always settle issues with my viper friends with a good fist fight, nobody has time for discussions:headbang:

mitchdob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey - you guys can kiss my a** :omg:
(ie: pict of a** included)

2000_Viper_GTS_ACR.jpg

In 2000, besides Steel Gray Pearl, these items were introduced in the ACR:
- 10 qt performance oil pan
- Dynamic Suspensions shocks
> Spring rates changed to 500 lb/in F and 1100 lb/in R

...... and not sure, but what year was the ACR oil filter adapter introduced? '99 or 2000?

And who needs any ***** ABS if you know how to drive the car.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey - you guys can kiss my a** :omg:
(ie: pict of a** included)

2000_Viper_GTS_ACR.jpg

In 2000, besides Steel Gray Pearl, these items were introduced in the ACR:
- 10 qt performance oil pan
- Dynamic Suspensions shocks
> Spring rates changed to 500 lb/in F and 1100 lb/in R

...... and not sure, but what year was the ACR oil filter adapter introduced? '99 or 2000?

And who needs any ***** ABS if you know how to drive the car.

Great looking car

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While 2000 may be referred to as a bastard year, it also is the year for one of the most desirable colors.....Steel Gray. I think it's all done in good fun and nothing harmful is meant by it.

Didn't the 2000 model also have the water pump impeller issue? I know 01 had that and a few 02's.

The timing of this post is funny as I just was getting ribbed this past Saturday that my car didn't have forged pistons or the 798 cam. I quickly pointed out that the cast pistons are actually better on an N/A car. The cam.....well I took care of that, or actually Mr. Heffner did.

It doesn't have the 708 cam either.

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can always get forged internals if it bothers you. That's why I got an 01 ACR; adding forged insides is a cakewalk compared to adding aftermarket ABS to a car.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather have ABS than forged pistons. It is easier to build a forged engine, not so easy to avoid skidding into a wall or the guy in front of you. Cast hypereutectic pistons are actually better for NA setups, as the silicon content in the cast pistons keeps them from expanding as much as a forged piston. That makes for a closer piston-to-wall tolerance, less oil consumption, and usually a lighter piston that revs better. Forged pistons are only better at surviving detonation. Factory forged pistons aren't as good as aftermarket forged pistons, either.

Tony

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather have ABS than forged pistons. It is easier to build a forged engine, not so easy to avoid skidding into a wall or the guy in front of you. Cast hypereutectic pistons are actually better for NA setups, as the silicon content in the cast pistons keeps them from expanding as much as a forged piston. That makes for a closer piston-to-wall tolerance, less oil consumption, and usually a lighter piston that revs better. Forged pistons are only better at surviving detonation. Factory forged pistons aren't as good as aftermarket forged pistons, either.

Tony

the word of wisdom, thank you Tony:2tu:

mitchdob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony. I just wanted to add that I wanted a totally naturally aspirated engine. That's why i bought a Viper.

@ ViperJohn: I don't believe the 2000 had an issue with the water pump impeller. That problem was introduced in 2001 and 2002. But correct me if I'm off....

Last edited:

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay attention to any of the negativity. Most is probably done in good fun anyhow. The 2000 model year has always received this type of negativity, but in the end, it's still a GEN II Viper and anyone would be lucky to have one. Especially a nice Steel Gray one, which coincidentally is the only model year that color was offered.

The Viper community is a very helpful, very tight nit community. Filled with great people really. I wouldn't take any offense to the banter surrounding the cream puff car ;)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers are Race ists. Quarter mile, road course, standing mile, rally, etc. It's in their internals. Some live a caged up existence never having the opportunity to express their true nature. Every once in a while, as I pass by a garage queen Viper on Sunday, I hear a plaintive exhaust note. It tears at my heart.

Last edited:

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers are Race ists. Quarter mile, road course, standing mile, rally, etc. It's in their internals. Some live a caged up existence never having the opportunity to express their true nature. Every once in a while, as I pass by a garage queen Viper on Sunday, I hear a plaintive exhaust note. It tears at my heart.

Casper did you get that?:D

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casper, it Happens in Every Car Forum! Same thing with the Porsche Purist (air cooled) & the Not Real water cooled Porsche! Lol! I've probably said it 10 times before on here, Steel Gray is the ONLY color Viper I EVER Considered (& to start with I didn't even realize 2000 was the Only year they were made). Also, the term Creampuff never bothered me cause I wasn't planning on adding a Turbo or Super Charger or Doing anything Drastic to Add HP to the Motor! THEN, you have to Deal with the Issue of the GTS or RT/10! Lol! And, it's ALL Personal Preference Anyway But I HATED the Toupee Top on the RT's but I LOVED it WITHOUT the Top & then I found the Lemke 3-Piece to Re-Place the Toupee & it was All Over! GL Buddy & ENJOY your VIPER my Friend! & WELCOME!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper