Vipers Were Bullet Proof Up Until 1999, After That They Did Not Have Forged Internals

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut and pasted this out of an ad for a Viper... ???

VIPERS WERE BULLET PROOF UP UNTIL 1999, AFTER THAT THEY DID NOT HAVE FORGED INTERNALS.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Vipers Were Bullet Proof Up Until 1999, After That They Did Not Have Forged Inter

And, what?

As long as you stay NA they are ALL bullet proof.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Vipers Were Bullet Proof Up Until 1999, After That They Did Not Have Forged Inter

I think the old saying read more post less applies here.....

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok... so cast pistons vs forged... that's it ? So does that make the post 99 motors more likely to fail ?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok... so cast pistons vs forged... that's it ? So does that make the post 99 motors more likely to fail ?

Who said they are more likely to fail?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the links Dom426h :2tu: Very intresting reading ;)

Mark
:uk:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The guy who wrote that statement in the ad seems to be implying that...

The guy that wrote the ad is trying to sell an earlier Gen 2 - obviously. I have a 2001 GTS now with 10psi Roe supercharger. I also have a Nitrous kit that I haven't bothered to hook up yet (need more power for street driving?). I also had a Roe supercharged 600rwhp/644rwtq 98 GTS with stock forged pistons at 8psi and w/m inj.

Stock forged pistons are more tolerant of Forced Induction. However, Viper engines don't come with stock FI pistons, not even the forged ones. Custom made forged FI pistons have thicker ring lands between the first and second rings to prevent cracking. Stock forged pistons do not have this feature. My Ross forged pistons (Macedo Motorsports) are lower compression (9-1) and designed for a supercharger. Notice the extra 120+ hp of this car? Nitrous Oxide (think of it as chemical supercharging) can also be added because of my custom designed pistons. The rest of the Gen 2 engines are the same except for the cam timing between years. The earlier engines had more overlap between intake and exhaust timing which cuases a rough idle. Many people recognize the sound of cam overlap and assume that means more power, but that's not true. Gen 2 engines had Forged crankshafts and (I believe) forged connecting rods.

For 'extreme' performance custom forged pistons are required for reliability. Although there are a few Paxton supercharged and TTs are available even with the "cream-puff" cast pistons making 800-1100rwhp, they are normally run at much lower hp ratings to be reliable. Extreme n/a performance requires high compression forged pistons to work with large camshafts. Forced induction requires thicker ring lands and LOWER compression the higher the boost levels.

Stock Viper pistons are custom designed for each Viper. They are all equal reliability as they were designed for each engine. Obviously the Gen4 pistons are the best since the engine has the highest output. The 96-99 Viper engines are recommended if you plan to add a mild Forced Induction system to your Viper after purchase.

Hope this helps you understand the Gen 2 Viper engines a little better?

Ted

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i can personally assure you that a 98 can be blown to PIECES. actually more than twice

(it did handle the first 99 bottles of nitrous well though)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

haha, Touché ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The guy who wrote that statement in the ad seems to be implying that...

As was stated...that anonymous 'X-pert' is trying to sell older-as-better.

36% Less piston mass 2000+ = less wear and tear on rods / bearings etc.

So for STOCK motor endurance, the goal was more longevity.......

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I plan to buy stock and keep it that way so it sounds like the difference really isn't relevant for me... Great posts... Thanks for the insight...

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for all the great info in this post. This is a huge reason I have kept flip-flopping between the Gen II and Gen III models during my search (the ability to add forced induction in the future). I have heard so many different things, I'd like to know if people agree that it takes more work/risk to add a supercharger to a Gen III than to a '99? I know a lot of people are running great set-ups in their Gen IIIs though. Thanks again for the links

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

it all depends on how much power you want.
gen2 has 2 options for s/c (roe and paxton)
gen3 has one, paxton

gen2 (forged motor), allegedly can take up to 800rwhp. (my opinion is 700)
gen2 (non forged) allegedly can take up to 650 (my opinion is 600 tops)

gen3 which is non forged and can go to 650-700rwhp. (but its pushing it)

forged motors are more likely to take "some" abuse before you have big problems where a NON-forged motor wont take nearly as much. Talk to the tuner you want to use and see what they say. they are going to be the one tuning it. and its all in the tune...

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the info, Plumcrazy. Appreciate it

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I plan to buy stock and keep it that way so it sounds like the difference really isn't relevant for me... Great posts... Thanks for the insight...

Good for you. It won't matter what year Viper you get they all hold up well if they aren't driven like 16-year-old in a Honda.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 2000 rt/10 has been very reliable. minor mods and I have put on 47,000 miles since I bought it in 2007.
this car rocks!!!!!
and still looks as good as new.
regular maintainence is required to keep it running strong.