VOI-9 ..........Salt Lake City.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I understand that the folks in the West want a VOI in their neck of the woods, so I sent the folks at VCA a little info on another city many may not be thinking of. Site of the last Winter Olympics, Salt Lake City offers the advantage of being big enough to take a group our size, while ease of movement is still very manageable. My whole premise, is a slightly smaller town than we have been to of late,which would probably allow us the opportunity to be the biggest game in town, with great PR and I am sure we would be newsworthy. Imagine a parade through Park City, as this would shut down this picturesque town, and be a huge event in itself. They are building a new race track there and the road course can be split in two, allowing more than one group on course at a time. I believe it will also incorporate a new drag strip, but if not, there is a NHRA sanctioned drag strip in West Valley ( suburb of Salt Lake ). Those of you who wondered why I kept suggesting Colorado Springs the last time , are seeing the same trend this time, as the road rally/cruise would be phenomenal in the Rockies. This area, like Colorado is spectacular in the late Summer and early Fall. There is a superb Hotel in Salt Lake, with a sister Hotel next door, so they can hold a ton of VCA members. We go to these events to see all our friends and fellow Viper owners, and I for one, think most of us want to spend as much time together as possible in our Vipers and with our fellow members. Highlights that can be included and discussed are listed below, along with some websites to review.

Respectfully submitted by Bill Pemberton

A. Things to do.
1. Bonneville Speedway trip
2. Sightseeing trip at the Great Salt Lake
3. Tour in the Rockies ( good shopping , eating, etc. in Park City,Heber City, etc )
4. Caravans for those coming from the West through Zion National Park. Also easy access for others coming into the State from the South to view Bryce Canyon Natl. Park, Glen Canyon, Arches National Park, Lake Powell and more.
5. New Road Course for Viper Activities, as well as existing Drag Strip if the new track does not have completed.
6. Facilities upgraded, and expanded throughout the area due to the Winter Olympics.
7. Great areas nearby for Jeep and Dodge to do a Jeep Jamboree , Dodge 4 wheel adventure event.
8. Caravans coming from the East can stop at Dinosaur National Monument, Arches National Park and more.

Listed below is the Hotel suggestion, and it is spectacular and right in the heart of the City. Also included, the websites for the two tracks.

www.grandamerica.com
www.rmrracing.com
www.millermotorsportspark.com
:2tu:

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Salt Lake City. What about Pahrump? We have more ***** houses than supermarkets!

At least come to Vegas. I think everyone agrees that Vegas makes one hell of a trip! :headbang:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Las Vegas has it all from the facilities at LVMS to the hotels, restaurants, sights such as Hoover Dam and Mount Charleston and other trips such as the Valley of Fire a short drive away, strip clubs, gaming, shopping, attractions such as indoor cart racing, indoor sky diving and helicopter tours of the Grand Canyon. We've got something for everyone!

Reaction score
I have managed to miss the last FOUR VOI's.....first three happened during our PCS moves...last one just wasn't in the cards.

VOI9 is already on the leave books at work...I don't care where it is! Having said that....I would prefer it be someplace kinda different. Vegas has been done already. NOT that makes it a bad choice...quite the contrary.

I am keen on just going whereever it is and having fun...part of the fun is what we do, who we do it with (no jokes here!! :) ), and where.

If a location basically has all that we need, be it Salt Lake, Vegas, or Gary, Indiana......the point is we'll have a blast.

I am also onboard with those who want it close.....so...is there anything the Mid-Atlantic Coast has to offer!?!?! :) I have spare bedrooms...Bugeater has garage space....and maybe George Murray can get us on base for high speed runs down the runway!!! :)

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Las Vegas has it all from the facilities at LVMS to the hotels, restaurants, sights such as Hoover Dam and Mount Charleston and other trips such as the Valley of Fire a short drive away, strip clubs, gaming, shopping, attractions such as indoor cart racing, indoor sky diving and helicopter tours of the Grand Canyon. We've got something for everyone!

I agree with you on Vegas...SL City is boring!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SLC???? Somehow I don't think you'll get church approval. The wackos there will probably see it as a plague of snakes or something and end up committing mass suicide.

SLC is one of the last places I would think you could have fun at.

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Craig, you don't own a Viper, so don't worry, you don't have to go to any place.
The premise is many of us had a blast in St.Louis , and we heard all about there being nothing to do. We found out different, and those folks that have spent time in Salt Lake know there is plenty to do. The raves about the Winter Olympics should have convinced many. I am suggesting it as a viable alternative, as it will have a superb road course, we won't have the dangers of a banked wall to avoid, and therefore there will be less danger to folks who haven't been on a course as much. Plus , we would be the show in town, not just another convention - gives us the clout to have a parades, show,negotiate venues,etc. By the way, hide your biases elsewhere, as the Church does not run everything like you so bluntly put. Salt Lake has become very cosmopolitan, and there is a greater Mormon population in Boise , Idaho than there. Besides , who cares , since you self describe folks in Salt Lake as wackos, I find this a resounding recommendation why we should go there. If you have decided they are such, I am sure I will like those folks in Utah a bunch.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

If I wanted to go to VOI with a Viper it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Secondly, I can't help but recognize SLC for what it's reputation is. It's just my opinion but I'm sure they are better venues. Don't let my non viper owning opinion get to you.

Reaction score
IMVHO I think the idea is to think outside the box. I would venture to guess that if someone like TVC were to go...he really wouldn't care where it was as long as there is a ROAD COURSE, and booze. :) That was why I said, above, as long as a location has all the things Viper Owners NEED....we are all resourceful enough to make the whole event fun.

Having said that...I would think that ANY location with a ROAD COURSE (for TVC), a DRAG STRIP (for THE CHAD), an awesome country-side for the cruises, suitable loding.....and about 3 months supply of food and DRINK (all to be consumed in 5 days)....the rest is gravy. Heck, it could be in Missoula, Montana for all I care....as long as it has something for everyone. :)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify I wasn't bashing on Bill. He's been nothing but nice to me. But when I think of SLC I don't picture badass sportscars tearing everything up and the crazy drinking/partying that goes along with it.

Isn't curfew in SLC like 9PM? :laugh:

Reaction score
Curfew is only for you!!! :)

No sweat Craig...I doubt Bill took it personally! I think what you just wrote is what makes it sound appealing to me (minus the curfew comment, of course), and possibly where Bill is coming from.

when I think of SLC I don't picture badass sportscars tearing everything up and the crazy drinking/partying that goes along with it.

Uncharted waters my friend!! Got Roadcourse/drag strip/scenic drives....we supply the badass sports cars and crazy fun!! :)

Hostile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rep of SLC is the good part,no hot cars=no fast cops.Bill is a sly one
looks like a streetracer at heart :cool:

Skeeter

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to put Temple Square on the list of things to do. If you schedule VOI around the same week as General Conference (either the October or April sessions), I might just be able to make it. I'll bring Joseph along as my co-driver.

PS. I think Craig would secretly like a Book of Mormon.

Signed,

Jesus

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to put Temple Square on the list of things to do. If you schedule VOI around the same week as General Conference (either the October or April sessions), I might just be able to make it. I'll bring Joseph along as my co-driver.

PS. I think Craig would secretly like a Book of Mormon.

Signed,

Jesus

HAHAHAHA Hey tony why is there no :rofl: smilie anymore?

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill's suggestion is worth considering. The traffic in Dallas/Ft Worth was a major PITA, so perhaps someplace off the beaten path is a better alternative. Although we're probably a year away from a VOI-9 announcement, one thing's for sure: Whenever they do finalize it, this board will be swamped with ******** about the location -- no matter where it is!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I've noticed about SLC in years back is that it is an incredibly clean, neat, and well organized city. There is great scenery around the area. The drive over the Rockies would be a high point.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salt Lake City has actually been mentioned from what I have heard. However, I would also add that Craig's point is actually pretty valid: The concern from some of the higher-ups is that the VOI can be a pretty wild affair, including open bars with unlimited booze. While few abuse it and the shuttle buses are generally there to contain it, the potential for uninvited mayhem is always present. Most cities including (and especially) Vegas wouldn't bat an eye, but SLC could rename their local jail "House of Dodge" if things didn't go right. Just a thought...

Reaction score
Craig...I'll have to check with Trey on the smilie!! :)

Point well taken Chris! It could just be that which makes it so appealing...also mkes it questionable.

<old cowboy talk>One could argue that we only need the town for 5 days there marshall....we'll give it back when we're done.</old cowboy talk>

:)

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at VOI#8 and witnessed most of the partying. Hotel bars were under control, for the most part, few skirmishes. Strip clubs are strip clubs anywhere, bouncers keep things under control. Billy Bobs was Calm. Don't see a Problem.

GTS 2000 Steelgray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi USA Friends,
Equal where the new VOI iss...wir EVERYONE will must would divide again going on only better ...for German poeples.....the sale!!! only then can one the flight of 10 hours well überstehen....und itself freuen...new parts to have. Greeting dieter -Germany VCA

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I gave a Mormon Missionary a ride in my Viper the otherday! Real cool guy. He got a scholarship for football...but he was down to earth and not what people would think of that religion. But anyways...I am not going to miss the next VOI event like I did in Dallas. Whether it's in SLC or Where ever I am sure it would be fun. If it were in SLC...It would be fun because I have many big car enthusist friends there and would be a good excuse to see them. Mormons are just like any Christains out there...my parents are Mormons....but me...I'm the radical crazy breaking the rules type guy that wouldn't want me in SLC! LOL!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave