wanna be racer in the off season

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what does a wanna be racer do over the off season? Practice is good so I thought I would make a practice simulator.

Please forgive the welds, I am new to welding, this is my first project and I am self teaching myself to weld. I am starting with the Mig then I will move to the Tig.

Anyway, I ordered up a Fanatec CSR Elite steering wheel, Elite pedals and a 6 speed shifter to begin my project. I found a great deal on a Racetech seat from Lux Racing and decided to put it all together. I was going to make a generic set up then decided to go a little further. This simulator is the exact inside dimension as a Viper. I have even placed the pedals in the exact stagger and spacing. I still have to modify the pedal faces themselves as they are too large. The seat and steering wheel are also in the exact position as the Viper. This way I can get as much reality as possible. Well until I add the full motion to this set up. That will come later however.

I have sheet metal work and powder coating still to go but I wanted to get everything mocked up first. I will also build a 3 monitor stand to go with this. I plan to use forza, iracing and rfactor. If you notice the transmission tunnel is the exact height and the shifter is in the exact place and this configuration will allow me to put the computer underneath.

I put this in the Viper Racing section as it made the most sense.

You must be registered for see images attach

It will also accept a stock seat and slider!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Tim!!! Now where is the cup holder for your adult beverage while driving???? :D

(oops, that is me wanting that cup holder for my setup)... :)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it, except that you really should have a roll bar on that thing if you are going to be doing some serious racing !!!!

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony! It isn't light but is very manageable. It will get heavier once I place the sheet metal on the interior. I also have a comp coupe, acrx transmission tunnel pad on order for it. It will definitely add more weight but it is rock solid.

Eric, an Adult beverage holder will be made as well :) I still have to make mouse pad and keyboard holder when I make the monitor stand. I may even add some speaker mounts to it.

Az, I am going to hold off on the cage until I get a little better :)

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the beginings of a great race rig. Heck it is already great as is.

Have you checked out:
http://insidesimracing.tv/

They have pictures of a really cool rig posted the other day. (+ alot of other cool rigs) It included a tilton pedal set with full hydraulic support and a full set of NASCAR guages and switches.

Here: http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=5975

That is an awsome rig. I doubt mine will have any thing for that one :) I'll check on the site.

Thats Awesome!!! Just got Forza4 for X-box this christmas :)

I still need to get 4, I am still on 3.

is that the ******** version? very nice

Bruce

Ha, it is until I put the stereo system in it :)

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys need to join the Forza 4 Viper Club. I you do a search under FORZA I think you can find out who the moderator is once he confirms you are a member here he can add you to the club. I suppose if you do a search in Forza's on line community you will be able to find the club and pertition to join there as well.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great. Been wanting to build something very similar to place next to the side-by-side racers, but my wife ain't going for it yet. How do you like the Fanatec? That's my next gaming purchase.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like the fanatec stuff. The wheel and pedals are awesome. Being able to shift manually is cool!

I would definitely recommend their stuff.

Looks great. Been wanting to build something very similar to place next to the side-by-side racers, but my wife ain't going for it yet. How do you like the Fanatec? That's my next gaming purchase.

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info, as soon as I pickup Forza 4 I will check it out. Thanks

You guys need to join the Forza 4 Viper Club. I you do a search under FORZA I think you can find out who the moderator is once he confirms you are a member here he can add you to the club. I suppose if you do a search in Forza's on line community you will be able to find the club and pertition to join there as well.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Forza is not a race sim at all. It's an arcade game.

If you want a race sim thats actually a sim, checking iRacing.com

Once I started using iRacing, I never played Forza or GranTurismo again.

It saddens me when people build such rigs to play forza or GT. :(

OP
OP
F

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm, who said I build this for Forza? I specifically built it for IRacing AND rFactor and have an XBox as well. As for the real feel of racing, they are all sims, that's why I track my car :)

Forza is not a race sim at all. It's an arcade game.

If you want a race sim thats actually a sim, checking iRacing.com

Once I started using iRacing, I never played Forza or GranTurismo again.

It saddens me when people build such rigs to play forza or GT. :(

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you know that the recent 'Ring record setting Viper run was done by a guy that practiced daily on Forza?

While not a high-level simulator, it does allow for someone to learn the turns of famous tracks. The tracks are very accurate, I've raced on a few in the game.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony (Nine Ball),

The ONLY accurate thing about the tracks in Forza is the layout. I agree with you, its great for learning a track corner by corner. I believe this is the only area in which Forza/GT are better than iRacing. They simply have more tracks.

However, the physics modeling is terrible compared to iRacing, and especially compared to real life.

iRacing also laser scans the tracks so the same bumps exist in reality and in iRacing. The curbing is the same size as the real track, etc.. some tracks have big gators, some have small ones... some vary corner to corner.

But, if I were to run the ring, I too would be using Forza or GT to memorize the track.

- Keith

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is awesome Tim. I assume the wheel has feedback? Show some more pics after the screen and speakers are installed. Love your pedal set up. And I bet NO CEL on this rig !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth