Warning to ALL Illinois Viper Owners!

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just pulled over from a Peoria Police Officer here in Illinois for no front license plate. I had explained in my defense that I have owned Vipers for the past 10 years and had never had a framre in order to display the front plate. He said that the state had awarded the city a grant to crack down on no front license plates. He said that earlier today he had written 9 citations today alone to Corvettes, Porsches and even a Ferrari. He then called the local Sam Lemans Car Dealership(Dodge dealer) to confirm my argument that front license plate frames were not supplied with the car. He said that I had 72 hours to acquire a license plate frame and mount the license or I would have to pay the $75.00 fine. I then went on to explain that he had better just write me the ticket because I have to be in Nashville Tennessee tomorrow afternoon and that I would not be back in town before the 72 hours would elapse. He asked when I would be able to address the issue and I said early next week. He then scratched his chin, looked over the car and said, well I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. He did not write any warning or citation and went on to say that of all the cars that were pulled over, my Viper was by far the best looking one of the bunch. He said that he was a bit of a car enthusiasts and he would definately recognize my car. In other words put a plate on it or next time he would NOT cut any breaks.

Any suggestions from other Illinois Viper owners? I dread the thought of putting a front plate on the car. Is there a quick release frame attachment that could be quickly attached and detached?

Not a happy Illinoisian!
ZDigital1

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1385&cat=

I own one, it really works, just push it on like a big clothespin and pull it off when you get there. OR, even better just have it ready to go and then tell the officer.."Oh, jeez, I forgot to put it back on when I was detailing the car last night Here, it will go back on in 5 seconds, sorry!"

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is exactly what I've been fearing. I live close to Peoria and have yet to be pulled over. Many cops see my car and just pass right on by. I don't know if things are going to change. Fortunately this is a small town and I know a few of the cops. I'm crossing my fingers that this won't be a problem but may buy one of these just in case.
http://partsrack.blastmart.com/customer/product.php?productid=1385&cat=153&page=1

Another idea is putting a decal on bottom of the windshiled that shows I have been a supporter and donator to the local police department. I talked to a cop friend that said it may help if I get pulled over.

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Lee! I appreciate the link. Just ordered!
P.S. Any idea on when my Avitar will be up and running? I think John has been in contact with you.

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Lee! I appreciate the link. Just ordered!
P.S. Any idea on when my Avitar will be up and running? I think John has been in contact with you.

Thanks Jdoc!
This is the first time I have ever been pulled over and I have even been through three roadblocks with out a glitch!
Are you the gentleman that John had been trying to get ahold of and been teasing regarding not knowing how to use your cell phone?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"He said that the state had awarded the city a grant to crack down on no front license plates."

Talk about well spent state revenue :rolleyes: :curse: :buttkick:

"He said that earlier today he had written 9 citations today alone to Corvettes, Porsches and even a Ferrari."

Sound like a jealous cop to anyone else???

"He said that he was a bit of a car enthusiasts and he would definately recognize my car. In other words put a plate on it or next time he would NOT cut any breaks."

A real car enthusiast would let you slide with no plate :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"He said that the state had awarded the city a grant to crack down on no front license plates."

"He said that earlier today he had written 9 citations today alone to Corvettes, Porsches and even a Ferrari."

"He said that he was a bit of a car enthusiasts and he would definately recognize my car. In other words put a plate on it or next time he would NOT cut any breaks."

Hey V10,
I agree! According to the officer, each traffic cop has specific violations that they are targeting. I was not in a position to argue and sometimes a simple apology and reinforcing the fact that you will address the issue ASAP goes a long way!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey V10,
I agree! According to the officer, each traffic cop has specific violations that they are targeting. I was not in a position to argue and sometimes a simple apology and reinforcing the fact that you will address the issue ASAP goes a long way!

I agree you did everything right, I just think its a joke that they feel a need to focus on front license plates. Maybe Illinois doesn't have anything better to spend money on, but thats 1 of the FEW things that I'm grateful for by living in GA, we don't have any front plate law (but we have plenty of worse problems) to more than make up for it. But like the others said, get the plate frame from Jon B. and keep it in the trunk

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

I agree you did everything right, I just think its a joke that they feel a need to focus on front license plates. Maybe Illinois doesn't have anything better to spend money on, but thats 1 of the FEW things that I'm grateful for by living in GA, we don't have any front plate law (but we have plenty of worse problems) to more than make up for it. But like the others said, get the plate frame from Jon B. and keep it in the trunk

[/QUOTE]

Well put! I ordered this evening and greatly appreciate all of the forum participators suggestions!
Thanks again!

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't you just love paying Taxes when they are being well spent like this! Just think we paid more taxes on these expensive Vipers when we bought then others paid on just a regular car also. I bought my Viper in Ohio and still had to pay a huge tax to the state of Illinois. :mad: :rolleyes:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a $50 ticket for no front plate this afternoon while it was parked. This happened while I was filling out the tax and title forms at the place I bought the car at.

I am contesting it with copies of the checks and paperwork for my plates. Hope it works out.

Will get the frame from partsrack soon.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a $50 ticket for no front plate this afternoon while it was parked. This happened while I was filling out the tax and title forms at the place I bought the car at.

I am contesting it with copies of the checks and paperwork for my plates. Hope it works out.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Nothing else for the police to do in the Chicago area?? :bonker:

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't you just love paying Taxes when they are being well spent like this! Just think we paid more taxes on these expensive Vipers when we bought then others paid on just a regular car also. I bought my Viper in Ohio and still had to pay a huge tax to the state of Illinois. :mad: :rolleyes:

Rob,
That is the pits!
See ya Saturday for Morris Car Show

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads-up.

Nothing else for the police to do in the Chicago area?? :bonker:

didnt you hear rob? all crime in Peoria and Chicago town has been solved!

it is about darn time that we start cracking down on these license plate criminals!! they are a MENACE TO SOCIETY!! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Z

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads-up.

Your welcome My Viper! It sounds like it was too late! I would be extremely p..... off. I can't imagine trying to keep a cool head under those circumstances! Hope it all works out.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a bunch of [******]. I hate crap like this, i am going to buy this plate holder from partsrack and keep it in the trunk just in case.
I think the police need to focus on more important things, little things like this are rediculous!

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is nothing new really and its been a law here in IL for a very long time, most counties dont enforce it though. I've found some towns will enforce it and a lot of times it gives the police a good excuse for pulling you over and pilng on other infractions.
I havent gotten a ticket in 5 years with my supra with no front plates and so far not in the viper either, i live 3 blocks from the police station too :)

If it comes down to it, i will buy that plate from partsrack :)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even with a removable plate holder in your trunk what are you supposed to do when you get stopped...... jump out of the car and head towards the rear (the patrol car will be right behind you), open the trunk and grab the plate holder, walk back to the front of the vehicle and install the plate holder, then jump back into the driver's seat? And now what you're supposed to say when he/she approaches the vehicle - "What seems to be the problem officer"? Oh, and the officer is going to be o.k. with you getting out of the vehicle, walking towards the patrol car and opening the trunk lid to remove an unknown object?

So what's the real purpose or benefit of having a plate holder in the trunk? I've owned three Vipers in six years in Texas never once installing a front plate - knock on wood. If I do, I'll simply pay the $75 fine (non-moving violation with 0 points). :bonker:

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jdoc!
This is the first time I have ever been pulled over and I have even been through three roadblocks with out a glitch!
Are you the gentleman that John had been trying to get ahold of and been teasing regarding not knowing how to use your cell phone?
Yeah, I'm the one who can't work a cell phone! :D I'm gonna buy one of these holders, put it in the trunk and if I get pulled over, I will tell the cop that a piece broke off or is missing and I am waiting on the new piece any day. The license plate law has always been here but at least we can legally delete our cats and pollute the environment! ;)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've received THREE (3!) no front plate tickets this year so far, with 3 1/2 months to go. One was even going to a charity event in New York (thanks a lot) going through the midtown tunnel no escape there. $95.00 per pop. But since I know I should have one, I can't blame anyone else. But I don't like the look, so I chalk it up to the cost of ownership. I keep a copy of the last one with me to show to the next cop who stops me, hoping for pity... :rolleyes:

By the way, what is the record for one year?
8486IMG_0019-med.JPG

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No plate here either. No tickets thus far but plenty in my 911. The fine is the price to pay for looks. I couldnt imagine having to put a plate on the SRT.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"my car came from florida where they dont require a license plate, i never received a bracket when i got my car, and they dont make these gen II cars anymore."

that is my story and i am sticking to it. ;)

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99.9% of the cops here ignored me not having a front plate on my Vette. But it only takes one !@#$$ and I have one down the street from me. He pulled me over and told me he'd give me a $75 fine the next time. So I reluctantly put a front plate on. When I bought my Viper last April I wasn't aware of the plate holder from Parts Rack or I would've bought it. I explained the situation to John Gaston and he put a front plate on for me before I left the dealership.
CB

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That explains the FLURRY of orders this week!

HINT: When you order, PRINT THE ORDER and put in the Viper. It proves your "Intent to Comply." IF YOU GET STOPPED you can show your INTENT. If they ticket you anyway, you can show the Judge your INTENT. You will 'probably' get a warning either way. INTENT MATTERS.

We have even been known to BACK-DATE invoices for our customers court dates, if you get my drift..........

If you just keep the mounted-plate in your trunk, especially with a few squished BUGS on it, you can say "Gee, Officer...I took it off for a car wash, and must have FORGOT" (cops LOVE peeking in your trunk with NO P.C. !!) Again, you show cooperative attitide and intent, and will probably get just a warning. BE NICE TO COPS! Youll live longer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456