Wash Brushes

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm tired of microfiber towels and microfiber mitts! Do any of you use a brush? I see that most of the "elite" vendors suggest the use of only a boar's hair brush for use on clear coat/paint. Of course, they're 4 times the price of a typical soft nylon or polyurethane brush. I'm about to make my life easier with a $70 brush (with extendable handle :2tu:). Does anyone use one and is there any problem with swirls or scratching?

And why a boar? I'd think a hamster fur brush would be more appropriate? No? :rolaugh:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a brush. It is not Boar's hair. Of course my paint already has plenty of swirl marks but I can't say its from the brush. The cars been driven hard and put away wet.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG:omg: if I tried that on my Sapphire car Id have to rename it cat scratch fever!!!!!!!!!!!
Put the brush down sir and step away from the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
Unless the marks do not bother you then by all means scratch away.:)
Sorry guess im sarcastic tonight

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i used one on our daily drivers for years (mercedes benz and suburban), long handle makes things easy. got mine at costco, very soft, holds a lot of soapy water.....never could use it on the viper though :dunno:

looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't have any exp with a boars hair brush. I still use Superior bilt grout sponges from home depot and Ive had excellent luck with them. For $70 I could almost buy 50 sponges. I rotate them from finish to tire/wheel well when they start to look worn.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use them. They work great for getting in tight places. Like between body panels, around the outside of tail and headlights, around coupe/GTS rear glass etc.
Those soft bristles can get in and clean where mf towels can't reach. I also have a seperate bh brush made for wheels. Just let the brushes soak in the wash solution for 5 minutes or so.
Never a problem with swirl marks....:dunno:

I got mine from Griots

Boar's Hair Brush - Cleaning Tools - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

Boar's Hair Wheel Brushes - Cleaning Tools - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boars hair brushes on long sticks are for tractor trailers and motor homes. If you do not care about swirls or your paint go for it. I recommend a nice sheep skin mitt from sheepskin.com. Get the more expensive one with no thumb in it.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that a good Boar's hair brush would create fewer swirl marks than a towel or mitt. Towels and mitts can retain fine particles of dirt more easily and hence cause swirl marks. I think I might buy one of the Griot's brushes and try it. I've always wanted to.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my black GTS I only use the best since the paint is new. This way I don't have to worry about swirl marks.

Here's what I use:

Ron

Attachments

• wire-brush.jpg
    wire-brush.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 6

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boars hair brushes on long sticks are for tractor trailers and motor homes. If you do not care about swirls or your paint go for it. I recommend a nice sheep skin mitt from sheepskin.com. Get the more expensive one with no thumb in it.

I would have to agree with Agent here. Those heavy brushes will destroy your finish, to the point you'll need machine paint correction. I have the sheepskin.com mits.. And they work great. However, you can also go to home depot. They have a 6 pack of grout sponges for $9.99 (I'm not kidding).. These are the best sponges Ive ever used. And when they get dirty, just toss em'. I have a 2007 Black Cadillac Escalade with the softest clear Ive ever seen. Literally any contact swirls the paint. And these sponges wont swirl it.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that a good Boar's hair brush would create fewer swirl marks than a towel or mitt. Towels and mitts can retain fine particles of dirt more easily and hence cause swirl marks. I think I might buy one of the Griot's brushes and try it. I've always wanted to.

BINGO....:2tu:

I use the brush on dark cars too. I use it on two sapphire, one black and one slate Viper.... No swirl marks
Don't "scrub" or use pressure with the brush, you lightly wipe over the surface. The bristles do the work. It's the same principal as properly using a microfiber.
You don't need/use pressure.

I use the boars hair brush first. Then go back over with MF/cotton mitt with water only. Works Great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BINGO....:2tu:

I use the brush on two sapphire. one black and one slate Viper....
No swirl marks.
You don't "scrub" with the brush, you lightly wipe over the surface.

I use the boars hair brush first. Then go back over with MF/cotton mitt with water only. Works Great.

I love using a boar brush, it doesn't hold dust and particles like other mits can and it holds a LOT of water. I have very few swirl marks from this brush and I have used it on my sapphire Viper, my black vette and my black toyota.

Here's where I got mine-
Montana Original Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brushes is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats.

Small world Leslie...

That's the exact website where I was going to buy the brush I was considering! Montana Original 360° Boar’s Hair Wash Brush & Handle is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair

Interesting responses. I've been using microfiber mits (the good expensive ones) and I do get slight swirl marks despite my best efforts. My complaint is that it takes far more energy to was with a mit than an extendable brush. I've got no problem with being a lazy detailer.

Hard to come to a consensus based on the varied responses. Might be wishful thinking, but if the few who HAVE actually used a (proper) brush on a dark colored Viper seem to find it problem free then I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Worst case, it will cost me a professional detailing and I can limit the brush to the wheels (although I already use a wheel brush).

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Agent here. Although, I've used the sheepskin.com mits.. And they work great. However, you can also go to home depot. They have a 6 pack of grout sponges for $9.99.. These are the best sponges Ive ever used. And when they get dirty, just toss em'. I have a 2007 Cadillac Escalade with the softest clear Ive ever seen. And these sponges wont swirl it.

Those sponges work great too...IMO

I like to use them for removing rubbing compunds or waxes from around clear bra, between glass and rubber mouldings. Lot of the same uses as the BH brush.

Both the sponges and the boars hair brush work great.... the brush is just better in some situations for cleaning small, tight spaces... IMHO

I was also told that the natural sea sponges are the best sponge to use for your car. The reason being that the sea sponge has an uneven surface. It will pickup dirt particles instead of smearing them around like a flat grout sponge...

I don't know, gotta' draw the line somewhere... :dunno:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R