Water Deionization System for Car Wash

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have one?

Just ordered a home setup from Siemens that is supposed to be good for 950-1000 gallons which should last a while.

Gonna be delivered on Monday :2tu:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used soft water treated old-school: with a salt-style softener. Huge difference on the time I have to dry (which is big inthe desert heat). What is deionization supposed to get you?

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less Ions... :) I know it has something to do with corrosion in aluminum radiators. My Miller Tig with an integrated cooler calls for deionized water, or their special coolant which is probably just in a fancy bottle.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a cheap basturd, so I did the following. Costco has GREAT reverse osmosis systems for about $150, and I mounted one outside and hooked up to one of those three gallon "no pump" garden sprayers with the garden hose attachment to fill it up. Let it do it's thing overnight, and you get three gallons of almost-distilled water in the garden sprayer. At the end of washing my car, I'll spray the whole car down with sprayer, blow it off with a backpack leaf blower, and I don't even need to touch it with a finishing cloth. Works like a charm. That water is also good for filling the radiator - aluminum doesn't like any minerals or salts in the water...

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is similar to the Costco CR Spotless system...just better. Don't have to add resin near as often, in fact Siemens comes out and swaps the tank for you. Like I said, supposed to be 950 - 1000 gallons of spot free water. Just wash and blow dry and voila.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I have been using my "spotless water" and it makes a car wash so easy. Probably bug the neighbors when I dry it off with my gas **** blower :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for the most part i stopped using water to wash my garaged cars about 4 years ago :rain:
but i guess for the couple times a year that my viper gets dirty enough to have to use the hose&bucket method it would be nice to have a spotless water system if i had the extra cash for it.

I always wandered about those guys that never drive nice cars in the rain but intentionally pour water over them once a week:confused:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is a **** blower? is that like a ****?:burnout:

you Cali guys crack me up...:lmao:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I use. I know it says for the final rinse but I just use it for the entire wash. Probably cuts it's life in half but when you have a sapphire car you will do whatever you can to keep water spots away. :)

In-Line Water Softener With Fittings - Cleaning Tools - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage
for the most part i stopped using water to wash my garaged cars about 4 years ago :rain:
but i guess for the couple times a year that my viper gets dirty enough to have to use the hose&bucket method it would be nice to have a spotless water system if i had the extra cash for it.

I always wandered about those guys that never drive nice cars in the rain but intentionally pour water over them once a week:confused:

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does ANYONE drive their cars? Granted, I wash mine every week or two, but this 'gotta be spotless' approach is making me wonder?

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does ANYONE drive their cars? Granted, I wash mine every week or two, but this 'gotta be spotless' approach is making me wonder?

But of course Grasshopper :lmao:

OK, My neighbors have a system, and I thought, my cars is black, and it is new, and not many swirls in the paint from whatever, soooo, why not :lmao:

Makes it real easy, and barely have to touch the car after the 2 bucket wash with grit guard. And still, not many swirls ;)

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished using my Costco CR Spotless system... I wish I would have spent the money years ago... No drying with Micro-Rag's, just use the gas yard blower. Worth every penny !!!!

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a cheap basturd, so I did the following. Costco has GREAT reverse osmosis systems for about $150, and I mounted one outside and hooked up to one of those three gallon "no pump" garden sprayers with the garden hose attachment to fill it up. Let it do it's thing overnight, and you get three gallons of almost-distilled water in the garden sprayer. At the end of washing my car, I'll spray the whole car down with sprayer, blow it off with a backpack leaf blower, and I don't even need to touch it with a finishing cloth. Works like a charm. That water is also good for filling the radiator - aluminum doesn't like any minerals or salts in the water...

You can add DI cartridges to any RO. If you search them up they are referred to simply as RO/DI. It will take the Total Disolved Solids(minerals, salt, etc) of water down to about zero when the resin is fresh.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a black 300 and know all about those spots. I'm very particular about having the car clean all the time, my family thinks thats all I'm going to do when my baby comes home (2010 FE) I'm cheap as well so I didn't want to spend any more than I had to. I'm in the plumbing wholesale business and have all kinds of access to various products and all I put in was an in-line filter housing with a water softener resin cartridge all for about 50 bucks. I ran a separate line for this off my existing hose bibb. I'm not sure of the life of the cartridge as I just put this in last week. The replacement filter is about 25 bucks. Works like a charm!! My 2 cents worth!!

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished using my Costco CR Spotless system... I wish I would have spent the money years ago... No drying with Micro-Rag's, just use the gas yard blower. Worth every penny !!!!

I don't even dry the car anymore using the CR Spotless. About the only thing I do is use a blade to get some of the excess water that collects on the newer bulging Gen IV hood. Then when I finish rinsing, I just drive it over to full sun and let it dry. And BTW, Abe, you now owe me a breakfast burrito for the tip!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have super hard water here and do most of my washing/detailing at my work. So for the last 5 years I've been buying distilled water by the gallon at WalMart and have a dedicated plastic garden sprayer that I use. After washing the car, I can "rinse" the whole car with about 1 gallon of water (under $1.00) for a spot free shine. I just washed the Hummer on Tuesday and used less than one gallon for rinsing.

One of the tricks I use to avoid "trickle trails" is as soon as I'm done washing the car, I use a portable Makita blower to blow out the water from inside the mirrors, door jams, nooks and crannies. Even if washing the car with mineral free water, these nooks and crannies can let water drip out later that may have soap residue, dirt, etc in them that leaves trickle stain on the paint. After blowing out the nooks and crannies, I then spray the car with distilled water and finish up the detail.

Cheers,
George

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperNM gets the credit for the “Win” on this product. He purchased his first and I made the mistake of seeing the system… Thanks for the info Mike. Although, you did cost me $388.00 beans … Next Saturday the Burrito’s are on me..

Reaction score
You guys are costing me money!!!

Took the advice and ordered online the CR Spotless System from Costco yesterday.
Says it takes 7-10 days to get it delivered, can't wait to try it out.

Just got done washing two DD cars, and its hot as hell down here.

I am also using the foam cannon gun with my PC, love it.

BTW-If anyone wants to buy a brand new Gilmour foam gun for the hose, used once, make me an offer. I guess @ $60.00 delivered would work.
I have it to sell because I like the PC foam cannon gun using the PC much better.

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have a spotless system and have used it for many years.

However, I recently washed two cars...one black and one gold....and when they had dried they had water "ringlets" all over where the water had dried. Both were in the shade.

I took a sample of the DI water, as well as samples straight from my well and the kitchen sink. (We have an elaborate water system for our well.) I took these to the tropical fish store and had the water tested. The water from the well and faucet were right at at 6.2 & 6.8 respectively. Very near to neutral which is 7. The DI water was at 4.9...more acidic than acid rain. (Depending upon definition)

So...I've stopped using my DI system until I get an answer from the maker. I've called twice with no response. I do understand that the DI process makes water more acidic...but if i wind up with another problem...I'll do without.

Reaction score
I too have a spotless system and have used it for many years.

However, I recently washed two cars...one black and one gold....and when they had dried they had water "ringlets" all over where the water had dried. Both were in the shade.

I took a sample of the DI water, as well as samples straight from my well and the kitchen sink. (We have an elaborate water system for our well.) I took these to the tropical fish store and had the water tested. The water from the well and faucet were right at at 6.2 & 6.8 respectively. Very near to neutral which is 7. The DI water was at 4.9...more acidic than acid rain. (Depending upon definition)

So...I've stopped using my DI system until I get an answer from the maker. I've called twice with no response. I do understand that the DI process makes water more acidic...but if i wind up with another problem...I'll do without.

Thats why I like Costco, if I don't like it after a year, I'll take it back for a full refund.
Keep us posted regarding their reply.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My DI set up cost $100 set up cost and $20/month, If I want to stop, call them up and done. Right now it is worth it to me.

Matt, maybe you need more resin?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HyperViper...I thought that was possible too. The resin was to a point where it was about 10PPM in TDS. The maker says you're good until you get to 20PPM...then spots appear.

I'm hesitant to swap resin (have the cartridges made up already) as the spots it left need to be buffed out...not just wiped off.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are costing me money!!!

Took the advice and ordered online the CR Spotless System from Costco yesterday.
Says it takes 7-10 days to get it delivered, can't wait to try it out.

Just got done washing two DD cars, and its hot as hell down here.

I am also using the foam cannon gun with my PC, love it.

BTW-If anyone wants to buy a brand new Gilmour foam gun for the hose, used once, make me an offer. I guess @ $60.00 delivered would work.
I have it to sell because I like the PC foam cannon gun using the PC much better.

You will be amazed. I took the advertising that the company shows on their website to heart. They show a guy washing a black Mercedes in the full sun, rinsing it and walking away with no spots. Sooo.. when I got mine we were in the midst of a heat wave a few weeks ago so I took them to task. I washed the car in 102 degree full sun, rinsed it moved it in front of garage and went on to the next car. In 30 min. or so it was dry and spot free as advertised.

It's prett s*it hot! Tell us what you think when you get it.

Reaction score
Just got it yesterday, and easily put it together this morning.
Too hot to do anything else, and a buddy is in the hospital, so I'll hold off until next weekend.

The directions say hook up the input side to within 4-feet of the hose bib, directly to the hose bib.

I think I'd prefer to hook it up to the end of my 100' hose, which is on my nice hose reel instead?
Is this ok or not?

I will be using a pressure washer, and not hose pressure.

Last edited:

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got it yesterday, and easily put it together this morning.
Too hot to do anything else, and a buddy is in the hospital, so I'll hold off until next weekend.

The directions say hook up the input side to within 4-feet of the hose bib, directly to the hose bib.

I think I'd prefer to hook it up to the end of my 100' hose, which is on my nice hose reel instead?
Is this ok or not?

I will be using a pressure washer, and not hose pressure.

Check the manual that came with the unit. There is something about what maximum PSI can be and the unit to still be effective. But at first blush, it sounds like your setup will be fine.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my Water Deionizing system from Costco and used it for the second time today and am amazed at how well it works. I washed both cars in about the time it normally took to do one. I have a black Z06 and a Venom Red Viper and washed both and only used the leaf blower to blow off the majority of the water. It was in the middle of the day in full sun and about 85F outside. I just let them sit in the sun to dry and not one water spot. This is going to make owning a black car much more enjoyable.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone on this thread for introducing this to me. I was planning on selling my black car before purchasing this unit but now I will enjoy my black car. This is a must have if you have a black car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456