WCGT race at Belle Isle during/after VOI

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOPEKA, Kan. (March 20, 2008) – SCCA Pro Racing has announced the addition of the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix and Road America to the 2008 SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge schedule.

Although it was absent from the calendar last season, SCCA SPEED World Challenge will return to Road America, in Elkhart Lake, Wis., August 8-10. The SCCA SPEED GT and SPEED Touring Cars will headline Sunday’s race activities, following the American Le Mans Series race on Saturday.

“Our fans are very enthusiastic about SPEED World Challenge,” Road America President and General Manager George Bruggenthies said. “When the opportunity arose to pair another series with our Generac 500-American Le Mans Series event, World Challenge was my first choice. The series always puts on a great show at Road America and we’re happy to bring it back for the fans.”

Three weeks after the Road America event, the SCCA SPEED GT Championship will join the American Le Mans Series and the IndyCar Series at the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix, August 29-31, Labor Day weekend. It will only be the second time World Challenge has raced at the Raceway at Belle Isle Park street circuit, the first being in 2001. That race was won by Peter Cunningham in an Acura NSX.

“We’re excited to add SPEED World Challenge to our weekend schedule of racing,” Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix Event Chairman Bud Denker said. “Many of the cars racing in SPEED GT were conceived and built right here in Detroit, which makes Belle Isle the perfect venue to watch them go head-to-head. This is a race and a series that our fans will have a special connection to and will really appreciate, adding to a great weekend of racing.”

A former senior manager for Dodge Motorsports, now SCCA Pro Racing President and CEO Bob Wildberger also recognizes the significance of the venue.

“As the home of American auto manufacturing, the rivalries amongst Detroit racing fans is pretty intense,” Wildberger said. “Everywhere we go, people love our style of racing, but when our cars take off from a standing start at Belle Isle, there’s going to be a sense of hometown pride too.”

“I’m also excited to be returning to Road America,” Wildberger added. “Ever since I started as the President of SCCA Pro Racing, teams, fans and staff have been asking me to get us back to Road America. I know the World Challenge paddock and fans are thrilled with this news and I’m delighted we were able to check this off the wish list for them.”

Both the SCCA SPEED GT and SPEED Touring Car Championships will now hold 10 rounds each in 2008. The full SCCA SPEED World Challenge schedule is listed below. Visit www.world-challenge.com for additional info.

Divided into two separate series and races (SCCA SPEED GT and SCCA SPEED Touring Car), the SCCA SPEED World Challenge Championships are America’s top production car-based series. SCCA SPEED World Challenge events are a maximum of 50 minutes in length, feature standing starts and the world’s most popular manufacturers racing head-to-head. For more information see www.world-challenge.com.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great news and hopefully we can get a few more Viper Drivers to sign up for Belle Isle while the Viper Owner's Invitational is in town.
Tight course that may be beneficial to the torque of the Snake, and should be doubly exciting since few drivers will have any expertise with the track last run by WC in 2001.

Road America has got alot of us excited, as the Vipers have done well there in the past, and it is a track that is great to move around the different viewing areas to get different perspectives.

Looks like 2008 could be a great year for the World Challenge Series.:2tu: