wearing out right rear tire.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I seem to be wearing out the right rear quicker (inside edge) than the rest on the track. I haven't had the car on scales in over a year but haven't been off road either.

I did add a brake bias valve in December but I've dial out significant rear brake still.

I'm wondering if the differential is slipping although no major heat differences in the tires when I come off. Not sure what to check first.

Rear camber is about 1.8*.

TIA,
Carl

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember - every track has 360 degrees more of one hand turn than the other. :laugh:

It very well could be too much camber - as you are wearing the inside edge and not spreading the load / wear over the entire tread face.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run Willowsprings, CW. Two big rights (2 and 8-9). I would think I'd wear the left tires more.

The inside edges cord first with the rights going really fast as compared to the left rear.

Perhaps that's what it's suppose to do as a right turn would add more Camber on the left tire...correct?....and drag the inside of the tire around the corner.

Temps are pretty close across the tread. I can look them up and post if that helps.

Carl

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
1.8 degrees sounds like way too much camber for the right rear, especially for Willow Springs which is a r-h turn track. You can reduce rear camber to 1.0-1.2 degrees. Also, I'd suggest stringing the car and checking your toe. Rear toe should be approximately 1/16" toe-in on each rear wheel.

Best way to judge your alignment is by using a pyrometer to check tire temps.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good idea...I'll check Toe. I have toe plates.

I do use a pyrometer and check after every session. I'll go back and look closer at the temps.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excluding the first sessions tire times on that tire are:

In Mid Out
154 147 145
146 153 144

158 150 140
145 147 132
157 159 153

135 117 98 cold day 12* to 35*
108 116 101 "

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I've found the issue.

I figure with the tire temps I was getting I didn't have to much camber. Well...I was sure wrong. It's a little over 3* on that tire and about 2.6* on the left rear. Also the rear is toe out.

Off tho the alignment shop on Tuesday.

I suspect the springs have settled more.

I assume I need to recorner balance before I get it aligned. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Carl

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REDSLED,

I assume you know Viper Days will be in your back yard this weekend, and that you will be there.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REDSLED,

I assume you know Viper Days will be in your back yard this weekend, and that you will be there.

Sure do! And I plan to be there if my test session goes well tomorrow. The serpetine belt keeps getting thrown from the motor. :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R