weird wiring gremlin./door switch

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been having problems with the drivers door not opening (see other thread) and even ordered a replacement harness because I couldn't figure out my problem. I first thought it was a broken wire but after checking all the wires and making 100% sure they were all connected, I still had a flaky door switch. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. I finally noticed if I taped up the wires together, it wouldn't work. If I left the wires loose it worked. The only thing I can figure is with the wires taped together there's some sort of weird RF interference going on that won't let the switch work. I ened up seperating the wires into two different bundles and letting them hang loose inside the door and everything works fine.

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That should be either a connector or pressure on the switch terminal.

Can't see EM interfeering with a simple electric switch and electro magnet.

Ted

OP
OP
B

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I triple checked everything and there were no loose wires or connections. I even re-soldered every connection. The only irregularity is whoever made the last repairs used a larger wire size to make the splices. It's only about one size larger, but with 6-8 splices it may be enough to cause problems.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Then I'd chop ALL of the 'repair splices' out of the harness and solder in my own replacement wire. Only way to know for sure is NEW.

Probably inside your switch though. Think they were using Mexican one's then?

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on redo all of the repaired wiring. Could be that one of the wires the insulation looks fine but there's actually a break in the wire itself inside the insulation. Moving them around like you have been where it does or does not work could just be luck versus no luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth