What about us Rag Top Guys

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
C'mon SRT ,

Us Rag Top Guys are sitting here biting are nails waiting for the Convertible Picture. The suspense is too much.
Is it a Targa Top or a Full Convertible??

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine it is years away from being available.

Due to the upscale nature of the Gen V, and since coupes are much better suited for track use, and since the Coupe is being released in two different model (base and upscale) that SRT may offer the Vert in a choice of soft folding fabric top and hard metal folding top.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Carleton !
Haven't heard from you in quite a while.
I hope all is well out your way and that you are one of the first to get the vert when it comes out.

Take care,
Lance

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a removable hardtop, like the Autoform would be the best of both worlds. The vert is coming, no worries.

Bruce

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, let me clarify a removable hardtop with a soft top underneath like an SL series Mercedes.

Bruce

F

FrgMstr

You hatchback guys need to get better looking women so you are not afraid to put the top down.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, let me clarify a removable hardtop with a soft top underneath like an SL series Mercedes.

Bruce
why have the softtop at all if you had a proper hardtop convertible. push a button and have it drop down when you want open air. Put it up when you want and even use for the track. Ne need to two tops or having to store a top anywhere.

Again, only viable if can be done at low weight and complication.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why have the softtop at all if you had a proper hardtop convertible. push a button and have it drop down when you want open air. Put it up when you want and even use for the track. Ne need to two tops or having to store a top anywhere.

Again, only viable if can be done at low weight and complication.

Yeah, I thought about that. Weight is going to be an issue.

Bruce

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weight may not be so much of an issue on the Vert as on the Coupe.

The current SRT top is almost a hard top. The center roof is magnesium and the rear window is solid glass. Not so much weight needs to be added to make it a full metal roof.

This metal roof would be allowed at most track events, where a cloth roof would need additional heavy roll hoops or other sturdy roll over protection that in itself will add weight.

For most off-track usage the extra few pounds would hurt performance (but maybe those all important bragging rights so popular on the forum).

Know Mazda offers both metal and fabric roofs on their Miata (MX-5), so maybe that is the way Viper might go.

The photoshops of the new Coupe as a Vert have me drooling. Either top structure would work for me " >)

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant wait! For me it must be a convertible.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why different rear for soft top?

Easy, that's the Viper formula. I love that there are two different rear ends on each Gen. I really liked the rear on the Vert, and I liked it on the coupe. Later in life when I'm in a position to own two or more Vipers I would like to have both styles. It's really cool to have two different rear ended Vipers.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
92 till 96 for RT to GTS build, 03 till 06 for Vert to Coupe build. I would think that with crash testing and everything else it could easily be 2 years before we see a convertible, I just hope it is not that long?!

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I asked this same question 2 weeks ago in the thread "will there be a Gen 5 convertible", and got a smart ass answer from REDBLACK

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would probably help SRT ot release the design/look earlier than later. I've always done verts, but am a bit on the line now about it. I see myself getting the base perf model and making trackdays a big part of my ownership. Depending on the vert design, look, saftey, I may opt for the coupe. And switch my mustang lust back to verts for top down duty.