What are your thoughts on PlastiDip?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my new coupe last week, and of course before I got a chance to get the rear lower fascia painted, my painter broke his hand. I've really only trusted him to do my paintwork on all my previous cars so I decided to wait until he heals.

In the meantime, I really wanted to have that panel done, so I decided to try PlastiDipping the rear bumper. I've been wanting to try it for some time, so I figured I might as well try it on a panel that is getting painted soon anyways, even though it is on a Viper :lmao: You can find the paint, supplies and techniques here: https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

First up, remove the lower diffuser blades and panel. This will give you a better job without having to deal with overspray, although it comes right off. I cleaned the paint with Dawn soap and water.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once dry, I began to fine line tape the edge. I left tails on the tape so I could quickly grab and peel it later on. I had read you need to remove the tape quickly to avoid PlastiDip curing with the tape and then peeling it up once dry.

The PlastiDip takes 4 coats, and you need to be careful to really only get slight overspray on the fine line tape edge. As I stated earlier, after the last coat when you really lay it on heavy at the edge, you need to be able to quickly peel back the fine line tape to reveal a nice, crisp edge. So I started taping just beyond the fine line tape line. There will be a little factory paint exposed, but remember, this is only PlastiDip...it will peel right off later!

This was my first time using PlastiDip, so I taped up the rear of the car really well because I wasn't sure how bad the overspray would be. Well, this was a little overkill but didn't take that much more time...what the hell :)

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The moment of truth...the first coat! PlastiDip recommends numerous lighter coats instead of two heavy ones. Just try to get 30% coverage on your first coat. Notice I left the fine line edge super light, and will continue to do so for the first couple coats.

I let it sit in the shop for about 20 mins. I had it up to about 70 degrees with low humidity. Apparently drying times vary depending on those conditions. By the second coat, you're probably at 80% coverage.

After another 20 mins, I spray the third coat.

Okay, I waited about 30 mins to spray the fourth and final coat. You really need to have perfected your spray pattern by now so the last coat will lay down nicely. You are also going to spray the equivalent of three to four coats on the fine line tape edge. As soon as you're done spraying, peel that fine line tape to reveal a nice crisp paint edge!

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, let it dry for however long you think it needs. I waited about an hour just to be sure. PlastiDip says you need to wait 4 hours to be completely cured. You'll notice as the newpaper and tape are removed, you'll start to see the small line of overspray we intentionally left. This stuff peels off with your thumb, so after all the tape it removed, just quickly rub it off! The majority of my overspray came off with the masking tape.

Now, sit back and admire your work! Get the diffuser and blades installed and you're all done! Notice the nice clean edge. The satin sheen matches the factory paint extremely close from what I can remember on my old striped coupe. I'll report back in terms of upkeep and maintenance, but so far, I'm pleased with the temporary look.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up Ryan. I always fly into my DIY projects too fast to ever think about taking pics. Def went on smooth for rubberized spray.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. If your buying the aerosol stuff you can change the spray pattern and thickness by heating the product. Just get some hot tap water in a bowl or small pail and put the can in it for a short time, shake and put back in. The hotter you get the can, the more atomized the spray pattern, especially if you are working in cooler ambient temps and the can is cold. Do not overheat the can....more is not better. Warm to the touch seems to work very well.

My daughter bought a bunch of different types of furniture off craigslist for her college apartment, we used about 6 cans of plastic dip to make them all look modern, new and color match. Plus, it pretty much makes the furniture beer proof :lmao:

Cheers,
George

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Plastidip on Viper? Who would ever do that? Looks great.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/658502-Plastidipped-my-6-Spokes

It is pretty cool stuff, cheap, and easy to remove if you change your mind. I was surprised with how well it's held up on my wheels. Interesting comment on heating it up a bit to change the spray pattern. There is definitely an art to spraying it to minimize the texture.

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up and looks factory!! Plus you can peel it off, whats better than that!

tlcobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did the rims on my srt ram yesterday.

Attachments

• 2012-11-17_16-29-39_914.jpg
    2012-11-17_16-29-39_914.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 164

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great writeup, Ryan! I did one side of my factory 10-spokes too see how I liked the all black look, but I'm horrible with a spray can so I ripped it off the following weekend. It's definitely a cool product though.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Ryan, that really laid down. I thought it was gonna look very textured when I first started reading this. :2tu:

Question: What is this fillet material?

I only found prep spray cleaners and tape on their site.

Thanks, Mike

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tlcobra, Looks sweet. Those rims would go well with any color paint.
Is that the Silver Metalizer (over Black Plastidip) or Gunmetal Grey Exclusive Color?

Thanks, Mike

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks real nice but.........PlastiDip?

OK only if you just want to see how something looks. If you want to use it and keep it that way, break down and get it done right. Don't go ricer Ryan.

Look at any ricer board and every other thread is PlastiDip this or PlastiDip that. I even hate typing that word......

These are Vipers, not some cheap *** economy car for God's sake.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks real nice but.........PlastiDip?

OK only if you just want to see how something looks. If you want to use it and keep it that way, break down and get it done right. Don't go ricer Ryan.

Look at any ricer board and every other thread is PlastiDip this or PlastiDip that. I even hate typing that word......

These are Vipers, not some cheap *** economy car for God's sake.

Jerome, Jerome...calm down my man. OF COURSE I'm getting it painted, but my painters hand is broken, so I'm waiting him out. Somewhere in my description is says its temporary too. With all the money I spend of these cars, I certainly wouldn't skimp on $200 worth of paint! :)

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say keep it with PlastiDip.... then when you sell the car (and you know you will Ryan) it can be easily returned to stock in case the next person does not like the black! Yes it's a Viper but geez...it's just a car!

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerome, Jerome...calm down my man. OF COURSE I'm getting it painted, but my painters hand is broken, so I'm waiting him out. Somewhere in my description is says its temporary too. With all the money I spend of these cars, I certainly wouldn't skimp on $200 worth of paint! :)

Sorry Ryan, wasn't meaning for it to sound like it did. I know it is temp, but was just getting how I feel across. I don't expect you to go ricer. ;) You always have classy looking cars void of "fluff".

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy that bought my last viper plastidipped the whole car blue

You must be registered for see images

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep us posted how it holds up after a few wash's . Nice to see you can go back to your original paint :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Ryan. Likely due to the prep and your apparent talent for spray can painting. I'd leave it like that, if it holds up well. If it ever starts to peel, then do paint.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how a major detriment for a paint product (doesn't stick well) can be turned around and used as a selling point !

I can picture the PlastiDip folks sitting in a conference room, brainstorming ideas for new uses for their product and writing them on Post-It notes, putting them up on the wall and then discussing them. Then, someone puts 2 and 2 together......

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up. I have experimented with it on the rims of my Porsche and they look good....but only for a while. After a few hundred kms. it starts to chip etc. Paint, (powder coating etc. will hold up much longer. Great product if you are uncertain about the final look of your project, as it is easily removed. Just my 2 pennies.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has held up so far, but its only been a week! lol

I think the rear will take much less abuse than the front, or wheels, for instance. But, for me, it's only temporary anyways...