What is the cost to Convert to ABS?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of a friend is trading in his '99 black/silver stipe GTS and he told me he'd sell me the car rather than trading it in. I know it was well cared for so I'd probably give him a couple grand over just for the favor.

I am really wanting a '01 Sapphire (because of the ABS) but if I can get a '99 for a great deal what would it cost to convert to an ABS system?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to John Archer (www.archerracing.com) it costs in the neighborhood of $8,000 to convert the non-ABS GTS to be ABS.

A lot of the expense is the labor of removing and replacing all wiring harnesses throughout the car.

You might give him a call, he has converted cars before.

By the way, if you want a track car, I have an '01 Sapphire/Silver GTS that's SCCA T1 prepared I have listed with John - click on 'cars for sale' on his site to see it.

-J

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No ABS was a huge concern for me too, but after over a year, I'm not too bothered by it. Definately do a brake upgrade (non-ABS) at least.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly, if you're that concerned about not being able to handle the car without ABS I suggest you spend $1000 to $3000 on a good driving school. That will be cheaper than the conversion and you'll benefit all over, not just braking. I will tell you right now that you can lock all four wheels and you do need to realize when that happens you have to let off the brakes. Driving school will definitely help with this...

If I was you I'd take your buddies '99. Knowing where a car has been and what's been done are priceless...

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS is definitely helpful if you track your car a lot. It will probably pay for itself over time by saving you flat-spotted slicks if you race regularly. I am in the process of doing this to my '97 GTS (because I have flat-spotted half a dozen slicks over the past year). The Archer ABS kit that was available in the past is no longer manufactured. I am simply upgrading to '01 wheel hubs (with tone rings) and spindles. You also need 4 ABS wheel sensors, the ABS brain (control module and hydraulic actuator), wiring harness, and then fab new brake lines. You can get all these parts for about $4500. You will also need new rotors (and probably calipers depending on your setup) because the hubs are different. The Viper ABS system is a 3-channel Teves Mark 20 system, so you might be able to find other similar (cheaper) applications of this system and adapt them to the Viper. I initially tried that with a Dodge Stratus ABS system because it is similar (although it is 4-channel), but this was unsuccessful because of some subtle differences. Good luck...

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last I checked Archer could not get the abs system anymore. You'd have to get one off an 01-02but I wouldn't worry about it not having abs. It's is what it is.

If you want abs just go with a 2001 or newer. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
M

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last I checked Archer could not get the abs system anymore. You'd have to get one off an 01-02but I wouldn't worry about it not having abs. It's is what it is.

If you want abs just go with a 2001 or newer. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

I hear ya, but I'm sure it's not THAT bad to have non ABS. I just know first hand what it's like to drive a high HP car with no ABS. It can be scary at times. :D

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't attest for all the brake upgrade options out there, but I was in a non ABS Viper with a 4-wheel Stoptech step up ($3,000 if memory serves). And your retina's will detach before you lock up those brakes.

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd rather have a forged motor car anyday over ABS. That's just me though :)

Yeah, I got screwed on both accounts....'00 RT10, no ABS and a cream puff :buttkick:

--wes

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.........I was in a non ABS Viper with a 4-wheel Stoptech step up ($3,000 if memory serves). And your retina's will detach before you lock up those brakes.

Not really, but if you wear Contact lenses, they COULD pop off in your lap......

OP
OP
M

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get that 99 and then get a Big Brake kit. You will be happier in the long run.

Too late the car was sold and it was a '00. I learned the car had the 14in brake upgrade as well as 3 piece rims and 16,000 miles. With the C6 Z06 coming in next week he sold the car this morning for $33,000. :eek:

Never fails, I ALWAYS miss these deals. :rolleyes:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not listening.........happy thoughts....happy thoughts.....happy thoughts.........
:curse: :evilmad: :bonker: :buttkick: :confused:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Too late the car was sold and it was a '00. I learned the car had the 14in brake upgrade as well as 3 piece rims and 16,000 miles. With the C6 Z06 coming in next week he sold the car this morning for $33,000. :eek:

I find that hard to believe since any Chevy dealership would have given him a LOT more for that car on trade. Dealer auction price on that car is MUCH higher than that (unless it was an R-Title or sold with damage). Either this guy is EXTREMELY stupid, or there's some tall tales going on here.

OP
OP
M

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I find that hard to believe since any Chevy dealership would have given him a LOT more for that car on trade. Dealer auction price on that car is MUCH higher than that (unless it was an R-Title or sold with damage). Either this guy is EXTREMELY stupid, or there's some tall tales going on here.

Take it for what it's worth, car had clean title. The owner got screwed no doubt about it while the other guy an insane deal. Just wish the car was in my garage. :crazy:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Holy crap. A 00' for only 33,000 good lord thats an awesome deal.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try to mount it just beneath the brake booster to minimize the amount of line fabrication required.

I still haven't installed mine yet, as I am waiting for the harness...

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you corroborated with Ted May (Valaya Racing)? I believe he has done some conversions, and added traction control to boot...

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

check Kelly Blue Book ((Trade in Value)) for 00 GTS. its about 30,000 haha. horribly low. www.kbb.com

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this whole ABS conversion thing should be a sticky somewhere. lots of info out there in a couple different threads. here is a quote from a CA owner & member: "GTS-R 001"
in this thread:
http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=441515&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Ronnie,
The housings/calipers are the 04 red SRT but the inner pieces are the comp coupe equipment and are different than the SRT/10 brakes, the callipers are exactly the same between the two but I prefer the poser look of the red callipers.
The $2K is an additional for the ABS option on top of the price for the brake cost and yes new steering nuckles are part of the job and handling is greatly improved over stock and the dyno tuned penske 3 ways TEd put on don't hurt the handling either.

Reaction score
Seems to me that you could use a wiring harness off of another vehicle with a MK20 or MK20e. If the abs unit will not be mounted in the same location as the 2001-2002 cars, then the wires will not be the correct length, so I don't see the advantage of a Viper harness if it is going to be cut up.

97 Viperidae can you send me a PM with your email address.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another person that has done the conversion is Howie Frank. I havent spoken to him for awhile, but he did mention he created a parts list for converting to ABS.

He has it on his GT-1 Viperdays car, and when I last spoke to him it was working w/o any issues.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be less expensive to add forged pistons to the '01 car.

True - unless your install is screwed up and your engine self-destructs. This has happened before. A lot of use can't find anyone we trust to do less involved work on our cars as it is.

I can't attest for all the brake upgrade options out there, but I was in a non ABS Viper with a 4-wheel Stoptech step up ($3,000 if memory serves). And your retina's will detach before you lock up those brakes.

Isn't the main advantage of the Stoptechs the lack of brake fading while tracking? It's something that you would never notice on the street. It seems to me that factoring in the fact that with the same tires, same street surface, and identical suspension components and set-up that there would be little to no difference in braking distance between the stock and Stoptech setup, especially if the stock system has an aftermarket front to back bias adjustment. I could see that you may be able to modulate the pedal on one system better than the other but I don't see that as a huge factor in stopping distance. Has the Stoptech system been tested head to head against stock for braking in street type situation?

I just don't see the Stoptech as a substitute for ABS in any way.

DrDJ

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave