What kind of changes do you expect to see on the 2015 Viper?

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the refresh for the Viper now confirmed for 2015, what kind of changes do you think SRT will make to the 2015 Viper?

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would expect that they'll take what they learned from the TA's success and change the packaging of features, making more of them options in the GTS. Maybe they'll just eliminate the GTS all together and simply offer individual options and option packages...which would have maybe been a better idea from the beginning. That will allow buyers to custom order the car the way they want it, and reduce the need for a dealer to carry inventory. Win-win. Other than that, I expect the most significant change might be a different grill design...and new colors.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If they make any changes to motor, etc. it will be a huge hit for already struggling SRT and GTS sales. I would think a targa or vert option should be available by 2015. I really hope its a TARGA!!!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the data about the alleged 2015 refresh but I am somewhat skeptical that there will be any significant changes. The 2013 model year was short and the 2014 model year is still young. Perhaps we will see a new grill that is a signature SRT brand grill instead of a Dodge crosshair grill with the V in it. It also would be nice if they marked on the carpet where the lap belt bolt holes are located. I would like to see them add a front fascia camera. Then I would not have to ask my passenger to get out of the car to look for me when parking straight in. They also need to have a tougher covering on the bottom of the steering wheel that is tougher since when you get in and out it is easy to hit it with your be even if you are not fat.

I do not see any performace gains coming. SRT, to my knowledge, has not had the time or the budget to develop and certify a different engine. However, if SRT provided, or maybe has provided, a little tech assistance regarding calibration to Arrow to develop a positive displacement supercharger kit to be sold in the aftermarket at the five pounds of boost level adding say 100 HP, I think that would sell very well and, perhaps, help drive more Gen V sales assuming the cost is reasonable. Based on what I have read, such a kit would not require any engione work at all at that boost level since Dick Winkes developed it to take a boost application as he stated in the video.

OP
OP
H

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not see any performace gains coming. SRT, to my knowledge, has not had the time or the budget to develop and certify a different engine. However, if SRT provided, or maybe has provided, a little tech assistance regarding calibration to Arrow to develop a positive displacement supercharger kit to be sold in the aftermarket at the five pounds of boost level adding say 100 HP, I think that would sell very well and, perhaps, help drive more Gen V sales assuming the cost is reasonable. Based on what I have read, such a kit would not require any engione work at all at that boost level since Dick Winkes developed it to take a boost application as he stated in the video.

The new Viper is just begging for the aftermarket to release a positive displacement blower kit. This would be a game changer for the Gen V. I just hope it makes it to market and soon. It would be nice if we could get some reliable information if this kit was truly being worked on and if so an expected time frame of when it would be available.

Last edited:

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think any significant changes are coming for 2015 MY. I think we will see either a convertible and / or an ACR at the NY auto show this April and they will launch late 2014 or early 2015 as a 2016 MY. This is what they did with the 2014 MY Jeep GC SRT.

I don't see the convertible and ACR as competition for the existing coupes at dealers now. There is some overlap in buyers but I think most people that want the convertible or ACR are waiting for those anyway.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After Ralph just said 640hp is the sweet spot and seemed to regard more power as unnecessary and almost laughable, I doubt it will be anything dealing with power, much less big power in the way of a supercharger. Probably mainly cosmetic changes dealing with color packages etc and maybe handling tweaks. They will probably give the Viper a more aggressive front end, maybe with fogs and a new grill as mentioned above. I just dont see anything really comprehensive coming from this group this soon. I'd love it if I am proved wrong.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post #4 discusses the possibility of an aftermarket kit - nothing more.

After Ralph just said 640hp is the sweet spot and seemed to regard more power as unnecessary and almost laughable, I doubt it will be anything dealing with power, much less big power in the way of a supercharger. Probably mainly cosmetic changes dealing with color packages etc and maybe handling tweaks. They will probably give the Viper a more aggressive front end, maybe with fogs and a new grill as mentioned above. I just dont see anything really comprehensive coming from this group this soon. I'd love it if I am proved wrong.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slight interior refresh with steering wheel matching the Jeeps new design. Hopefully no more SRT/GTS. Call them all GTS and option them how you see fit.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the reappearance of LED fog lights in the bumper side vents, which was the original purpose of those openings. Normal mid-model refreshes are just subtle changes in bumper covers, interior trim pieces, and wheel design. I don't expect anything major. Agreed with others that the SRT model needs to go away. Call all the hard tops GTS and let people option them a-la-carte. Unlock every color combo for purchase, also.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post #4 discusses the possibility of an aftermarket kit - nothing more.

My post was in general not getting at you in any way. I, like many others think it will just be cosmetic changes but Im sure most of us deep down want a bit more power and would welcome it in what ever form it comes, NA or FI.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More power unnecessary? Makes sense to me I also don't want to be richer or better looking! Sounds like a decision by Fiat to keep the
Viper from embarrassing Ferrari.
I know nothing about upcoming changes and to be honest it would be shocking when you consider the history of the Viper. Very few upgrades within each generation.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With SRT it's hard to tell these days. Not to sound overly critical but these days they make a huge over hyped deal out of a color, or name of a color, or whatever. Hearingtey have a refresh or announcement in April I cant help but feel like it could be a new color, a new wheel, or whatever. Long shot would be the vert, if it is I wouldn't be surprisedif they said a 2016 model available to order in 2015. I guess I'm getting a little skeptical these days.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think the OEM model needs more power. I think those of us who have a Gen V would probably, for the most part, agree on that because the car is very well balanced as is. But I do think it would be great for the serious drag racers if an aftermarket positive displacement kit became available. The only reason I mentioned SRT is because I do not see that happening within a reasonable time frame without some code assistance from SRT. And I am not suggesting that SRT do the calibration. That would create exposure to SRT. I am merely suggesting that enough code be released/explained with the appropriate legal protections and, if necessary, licensing to allow an independent third party like Arrow to develop the kit and the calibration modifications needed for it. This is not an easy project and requires the type of equipment that Arrow has on site.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they surprise everybody with a "refresh" that knocks your socks off...I would feel a little sorry for the guy that just dropped 100k plus for the "obsolete" 2014 model.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not going to happen since the Gen V already knocks your socks off. Buy one and you will quickly see the truth of that.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they surprise everybody with a "refresh" that knocks your socks off...I would feel a little sorry for the guy that just dropped 100k plus for the "obsolete" 2014 model.

Yeah, I bet guys with a 18 year old car are going to feel really bad for them.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey now, I wasn't trying to down the car. Just that it would **** to buy one and then they come out with something even better the following year. And my 18 year old car would bomb the hell out of a Gen 5. Don't worry...If they come out with a new Viper that makes my pecker jump, I'll buy one.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt your 1996 only around 550 rwhp and 3500 pounds? You sure it will beat a genV?

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit more than 550, but it has about 80 more lbs. of torque.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey now, I wasn't trying to down the car.

Yeah right. Here's one of your more positive Gen V posts...

"I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I thought about buying a new blue with white stripe GTS to match my 96 in the garage. To have the old and the new side by side. But the new car couldn't hold my 96's jock strap. And you know damn good and well they won't be worth $80k in five years. Bad investment...period."

Nothing here for you...don't let the door hit you on your way out.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey now, I wasn't trying to down the car. Just that it would **** to buy one and then they come out with something even better the following year. And my 18 year old car would bomb the hell out of a Gen 5. Don't worry...If they come out with a new Viper that makes my pecker jump, I'll buy one.
Obviously with all of that talk and that sig you've dragged the car, what times are you running in the quarter mile?

Or is it more to go brag to old men at cars and coffee?

I am sure Nine Ball would be more than happy to race so you can prove it since he is local.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ambivalent is a good word to describe my feelings about the car, and I've never been to a Cars and Coffee. I'm not going to jump up on a Hickory stump and challenge Nineball no more than I'm going to buy a Gen V for bragging rights.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ambivalent is a good word to describe my feelings about the car, and I've never been to a Cars and Coffee. I'm not going to jump up on a Hickory stump and challenge Nineball no more than I'm going to buy a Gen V for bragging rights.

Ah, so you'll talk the talk. But won't walk the walk.

Not even 1/4 mile slips? Jeez

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fastest gen 2, that's never been raced

hey viper smith, hope all is well. are you planning on visiting your parents soon in jarrettsville? if you do would love to see your gen v. cecil county dragway should be opening soon, perfect weather for the best runs of the year. would like to see ya give it a try, ill help in anyway if you want . lmk

wanted

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey viper smith, hope all is well. are you planning on visiting your parents soon in jarrettsville? if you do would love to see your gen v. cecil county dragway should be opening soon, perfect weather for the best runs of the year. would like to see ya give it a try, ill help in anyway if you want . lmk

wanted

April. Out of town all month. Want to get up there soon!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's wrong with this site. I think gen5 owners should go into the gen2 forum and post about how rickety and ***** the gen2's are.

I don't know why this site continues to be plagued by these thread bombs, other sites aren't.

I mean whether you're asking about updates on the vert or news coming at a show, someone has to post how their '73 big block Pinto is faster or something. Why do people think anyone cares about that. Contribute to the thread or start your own. No wonder I find myself checking in here less and less.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright. I got the message...no need to get up in arms. I'm not some troll trying to denounce the VCA or burn the building down. I'll be purchasing a new Viper in the future but it will be in addition to my 96. I'd have to trade it in to do it now and I couldn't bear to trade in my "first love". Ahem....sorry for the cage rattling : )