What Nitrous System To Install

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'vedecided to go Nitrous with my built motor. But, I'm not sure what system shouldI go with. I really like the Nitrous Outlet system with the dual throttle platejetting. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations as to whatNitrous system goes better for the Viper motor in terms of reliability, ease ofinstallation and performance.

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a good friend named John Rollins that is the head of nitrous at Wilson Manifolds. I would give him a call. Fit and finish is second to none, and has about 20 years experience with the stuff. If I have a kit made, it would only be done by him.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a tuner in davey florida who happens to love nitrous, ask doug. but you definitely want a wet kit

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Post up some info Wet vs Dry...

It's not my car, he can do as he wishes. Posting up "internet" research that someone googles is not exactly research. If it was up to me, i would do a direct port and if that was not feasible, a dry kit. If you honestly think fuel will make it to the back cylinders in a correct ratio using a wet kit, you have another thing coming. It is not so pronounced in small hp shots, but apparent when you up the ante and burn the back pistons.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ran over 100 bottles thru mine on a 200 shot and the pistons were fine when the engine got opened up. going dry, you risk going lean easier. the wet kit adds fuel making it safer, especially on a larger shot.

id almost be willing to bet theres never been a dry shot on a viper over a 50/75 shot. at least not one that lasted but there are tons of wet with no issues

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 300HP kit on my Gen 1 for 2 years. Wet!!! I filled the 2x10lbs tanks almost every week, sometimes twice a week. Not too far from Plum's usage.
And you worry about "back cylinders". Sure.... If you never used nitrous and tuned your car with it, yes, it is as scary as tooth fairy.

DRY KIT????????????????????
Who the hell wants to run a 50HP it dry anyway???

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 300HP kit on my Gen 1 for 2 years. Wet!!! I filled the 2x10lbs tanks almost every week, sometimes twice a week. Not too far from Plum's usage. And you worry about "back cylinders". Sure.... If you never used nitrous and tuned your car with it, yes, it is as scary as tooth fairy. DRY KIT???????????????????? Who the hell wants to run a 50HP it dry anyway???
I do, kinda. 150 shot. I have the NOS 5180 kit, but if I am running Nitrous, I change the tune thru the Vec 2 and add a lot more fuel from about 3000-6000 RPM. It is an easy install and easy tune. Change on the fly. If I wasn't doing it this way, it would be a Wet kit all the way. You have to have a safe tune when working with NOS or otherwise, BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to who? I've seen more cars burn pistons on wet kits by a large margin.

You cannot run a dry kit on a viper and make any real hp - that is not even a discussion. Please do not mislead people without a direct knowledge of what you are saying.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrous can be very safe if you are realistic with your goals. Personally I love the wet shot because I can adjust the air fuel ratio NA and air fuel ratio on NOS separately. Then go to the drag stip run as fast as I can NA. When I have all the shifts perfect then I turn on the bottle.

If you are going with a "larger shot" you should use a dedicated nitrous piston ring like a hellfire ring, Also a real nitrous piston moves the top ring land down. If you are using off the shelf pistons check the strength of the pins. Do not assume the ones the came with the pistons are strong enough (I just broke one in half). Cylinders are preped differently for the harder nitrous rings. If preped wrong it will burn oil.

With a smaller shot you don't have to worry about dedicated engine parts. The only other thing I would suggest that has worked for me is using a wide open throttle switch. So the nitrous is on on at WOT. If I felt the back end starting to get light if I pull out of the throttle even a little the niitrous is off.

From your pic it looks like you have a Gen 2. A lot of room under that intake to hide some jets. You would just need an artist to do some plumbing and run some lines. Unless you want people to see it ;)

Last edited: